1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Prof. Mella - Autoimmunity and metabolism in ME/CFS (lecture)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me Cyclizine was made the difference (and I used it with a cocktail of other nausea drugs)

Roughly this was the group of different drugs I worked through (adding one to another until it was better controlled)
    • Cinnarizine, cyclizine, promethazine - these medicines belong to a group of medicines called antihistamines. The exact way that they work is not fully understood. It is thought that antihistamines block histamine 1 (H1) receptors in the area of the brain which creates nausea in response to chemicals in the body. They are thought to work well for nausea caused by a number of conditions including ear problems and motion (travel) sickness.
    • Hyoscine - this medicine works by blocking a chemical in the brain called acetylcholine. It is a type of medicine called an antimuscarinic (or anticholinergic). It works well for nausea caused by ear problems and motion sickness.
    • Chlorpromazine, haloperidol, perphenazine, prochlorperazine, levomepromazine- these medicines work by blocking a chemical in the brain called dopamine. They are useful for nausea that is caused by some cancers, radiation, and opiate medicines such as morphine and codeine. Prochlorperazine (or brand name Stemetil®) is one of the most used medicines for nausea. It works for many causes of nausea, including vertigo, ear problems and sickness in pregnancy.
    • Metoclopramide - this medicine works directly on your gut. It eases the feelings of sickness by helping to empty the stomach and speed up how quickly food moves through the gut. It is often used for people with sickness due to gut problems or migraine. It is not usually used for more than a few days.
    • Domperidone - this medicine works on the CTZ. It also speeds up the emptying of the gut. It is not usually used for more than a few days.
    • Dexamethasone - this is a steroid medicine. It is a man-made version of a natural hormone produced by your own body. Dexamethasone has a wide range of actions on many parts of the body. The reason why it reduces nausea isn't clear.
    • Granisetron, ondansetron, and palonosetron - these medicines work by blocking a chemical called serotonin (5-HT) in the gut, and the brain. Serotonin (5-HT) has an action in the gut and the brain to cause nausea. These medicines are useful for controlling nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy.
    • Aprepitant and fosaprepitant - these are newer medicines and work by blocking a chemical that acts on neurokinin receptors in the body to cause nausea. They are sometimes called neurokinin-1 receptor antagonists. They are usually given to people on a certain type of chemotherapy.
    • Nabilone - it is still not clear how this medicine works to control nausea. It is normally prescribed for people who are having chemotherapy.
    https://patient.info/health/medicines-for-nausea

Inara, Rain, Samuel and 3 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A few days :rofl:
    I've been on it for over 15 years :facepalm:

I did finally watch the video, very interesting the endothelial dysfunction theories, the other data presented.
    What struck me is that he seems to be willing to chase it wherever it goes until he finds the answers. Thats what we need the most (and money).

Inara, Samuel, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@ukxmrv Wow! There’s a list to save. I seem to be intolerant of so many medications, often getting nauseated, so I will never continue after this reaction sets in. It has made me wonder realistically what will happen, what I will do, as I am get sicker and older. My bottom line has always been that I do not want to die throwing up, so I will save your list—just as I have tried to communicate these wishes to doctors and family. Frankly I would like to avoid such awful suffering and die simply instead like a well loved dog.

Inara, ukxmrv, Louie41 and 3 others like this.