Potential Mechanism of Fatigue Induction and Its Management by JAK Inhibitors in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases 2024, Anna Felis-Giemza et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by pooriepoor91, Feb 13, 2024.

1. pooriepoor91

pooriepoor91 Established Member

Open Access: Full article: Potential Mechanism of Fatigue Induction and Its Management by JAK Inhibitors in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases (tandfonline.com)

Abstract

It is well known that fatigue is a highly disabling symptom commonly observed in inflammatory rheumatic diseases (IRDs). Fatigue is strongly associated with a poor quality of life and seems to be an independent predictor of job loss and disability in patients with different rheumatic diseases. Although the pathogenesis of fatigue remains unclear, indirect data suggest the cooperation of the immune system, the central and autonomic nervous system, and the neuroendocrine system in the induction and sustainment of fatigue in chronic diseases. Fatigue does not correspond with disease activity and its mechanism in IRDs. It is suggested that it may change over time and vary between individuals. Abnormal production of pro-inflammatory cytokines such as interleukin-6 (IL-6), interferons (IFNs), granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF), TNF, IL-15, IL-17 play a role in both IRDs and subsequent fatigue development. Some of these cytokines such as IL-6, IFNs, GM-CSF, and common gamma-chain cytokines (IL-15, IL-2, and IL-7) activate the Janus Kinases (JAKs) family of intracellular tyrosine kinases. Therapy blocking JAKs (JAK inhibitors – JAKi) has been recently proven to be an effective approach for IRDs treatment, more efficient in pain reduction than anti-TNF. Therefore, the administration of JAKi to IRDs patients experiencing fatigue may find rational implications as a therapeutic modulator not only of disease inflammatory symptoms but also fatigue with its components like pain and neuropsychiatric features as well. In this review, we demonstrate the latest information on the mechanisms of fatigue in rheumatic diseases and the potential effect of JAKi on fatigue reduction.

Plain Language Summary

JAKi block pro-inflammatory cytokines, decrease activation of IDO, diminish the effects of genetic polymorphism (particularly mediated by IL-6 and IL-1β) as well as sickness behavior also connected with IL-1β expression, which result in fatigue and pain inhibition.

In patients treated with JAKi, it was observed that there was significantly greater improvement compared to placebo and MTX in fatigue and pain reduction measured using PROs.

Administration of JAKi (BARI+UPA) benefits over TNFi treatment in pain and fatigue reduction assessed by PtGA in RA patients.

The effectiveness of fatigue reduction in PROs under recently approved JAKi still needs to be proven in clinical practice, especially in selective and nonselective groups of JAKi.

bobbler, SNT Gatchaman, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. rachel76

rachel76 Established Member

Mum lived with the CLL type of Leukaemia for 25 years, though she died from something else at age 78.
    Every now and again her haematologist would ask for the JAKi test.
    I never understood what that was.

Her "fatigue" was similar to my own with CFS. It was like a much milder form of the same thing. It would worsen in hot humid weather just the same way mine does.

My blood tests are all "fine" , unlike in leukaemia patients, but I believe that this research would help us if they were to develop it.

SNT Gatchaman likes this.