1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Exertional Malaise Is Associated with Hypermetabolism, Hypoacetylation and Purine Metabolism Deregulation in ME/CFS Cases, 2019, McGregor et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/9/3/70

janice, TiredSam, Hutan and 46 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

janice, Stuart, TiredSam and 32 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does this tell us about the illness?

sb4, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 10 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From the discussion:

janice, ahimsa, Sly Saint and 23 others like this.
  5. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks like a really interesting lead. I hope more research follows!

Hutan, janice, EzzieD and 22 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Barry

Yes, although I would suggest GET has not been proven safe for any ME severity level. There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that those severely affected might not have become severe, if they had avoided GET whilst still mild or moderate.

TigerLilea, janice, Lidia and 23 others like this.
  8. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds really interesting

MEMarge, Wonko, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So that would make it independent validation of this? I don't see Shukla on this paper.

exercise-gut-bacteria-blood.png

From the wikiwikiwik:
    Abnormal, but how much so?

chelby, janice, Hutan and 14 others like this.
  10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There now exists plenty of evidence that something is going wrong with exertion in ME even if it has not been pinned down.

janice, EzzieD, Binkie4 and 13 others like this.
  11. Barry

I do get the impression there may be a correlation between food intolerances and ME. So many pwME seem to have a variety of food intolerances, including my wife; seems the prevalence could be higher in pwME than the general population? Could certain foods provoke certain bacterial gut leakages in certain people? And more so in pwME? Or could some pwME experience something that masquerades as food intolerance, but is actually different? Or is food intolerance a generic term, that can include gut leakage issues anyway?

And note I am not confusing intolerance with allergy, which I'm fully aware are very different.

TigerLilea, Stuart, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  12. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems to have been started in 2010!

MyalgicE, MEMarge, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  13. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find this interesting. Study sample collection started 2010 - a long time ago.
    and the results were previously published
    And this paper looked at the results of the previous study to try and derive a hypothesis
    That in addition to saying replication is needed, they suggest avenues to follow up on in future studies
    So how did this hypothesis come about now, many years later. (from Video Link : https://mecfsconference.org.au/videos/neil-mcgregor/ )
    The power of collaboration, sharing, discussion, challenging!

Hutan, Lidia, Chezboo and 16 others like this.
  14. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

cc : @wigglethemouse @ScottTriGuy @Perrier

Another close call by Network Analysis in 2017. Observe the node named "Xanthine Oxidase", next to Urea Cycle :

NetwokClean.png

Below, snapshot from one page from a document i sent to several ME/CFS researchers, March 2018 :

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 19.56.36.png

15. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Wikipedia:
    Inosine pranobex = Imunovir. This and the supplement inosine have have both been used anecdotally by patients and clinicians. (This isn't a recommendation, by the way.)

If this adds up, it could be interesting and might suggest treatments.

Of course, it's a tiny sample, so we shouldn't get our hopes up. But it is interesting.

Hutan, EzzieD, Annamaria and 9 others like this.
  16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they are suggesting that the energy metabolism problems might be a downstream effect of a problem affecting the purine metabolism.

Hutan, Lidia, Annamaria and 9 others like this.
  17. wigglethemouse

Tweet from Dr. John Whiting who I believe is closely connected with the researchers of this paper
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1146762215254401024

https://twitter.com/user/status/1146783659380240384

https://twitter.com/user/status/1146783384414216192

https://twitter.com/user/status/1146791311103668224

Hutan, Sly Saint, ahimsa and 17 others like this.
  18. wigglethemouse

@mariovitali Can you take a look at the supplementary data to see if any of those genes pop out to you.

Supplementary data. Post Exertional Malaise, Hypoacetylation and Purine metabolism
    deregulation in ME/CFS Cases

https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/9/3/70/s1

sb4, MEMarge, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I can tell, the science on food intolerances is about as chaotic as that on "chronic fatigue", the symptom™. So really impossible to say until that moves forward from the starting line of "there may or may not be such a thing as food intolerance, or something like it".

It's quite likely that the thinking about food, rather than specific compounds and their interaction with gut microbes, may be the issue here. Food is made up a crapton of smaller stuff and the science is just far too immature to help guide us.

Kinda similar to the exosome and microbiome hypotheses, the science of ME is opening all sorts of possible avenues but they're all freaking unexplored and need to do some maturing all on their own before they are of use to us.

MyalgicE, Marco, Simone and 3 others like this.
  20. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are some things I don't quite understand in this paper. For example, it reads that "hypoxanthine was the prime predictive variable for alterations in the PEM scores". But if you look at the data, the ME/CFS group with no PEM after 7 days had larger differences for hypoxanthine compared to controls, than the ME/CFS group with PEM.

Also not sure what this means (my bolding):
    So these markers did not correlate with PEM in the ME/CSF group? What do they mean with the whole group analysis- the analysis that includes healthy controls?

Even if these abnormalities compared to healthy controls (it isn't that difficult to find differences between ME/CFS patients and healthy controls) are robust, I don't see how they would have to be associated with PEM. If I wanted to figure out the biological correlates of PEM, I would test patients and controls in rest and then after exertion. If a marker is normal in all states except for ME/CFS patients after exertion, that would suggest that it might have something to do with PEM. As far as I can see, the abnormalities found here could be unrelated to exertion. Or did I miss something?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019