Petition: S4ME 2023 - Cochrane: Withdraw the harmful 2019 Exercise therapy for CFS review

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Hutan, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Checking Cochrane on Charity Commission website.
    Suggest S4ME makes direct contact with all Trustees.
    Especially new Trustee of 2022, Gillian Leng former CEO NICE........

Also raising concern with C Commission over their stated Charity objectives

and Trades Description, due to the misinformation heading Charity website?
    Will post above later when I have access to computer.

Lou B Lou, Amw66, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  2. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.

They may have over played their hand here. The establishment may view us as subhuman objects to be experimented upon. But Cochrane is no longer as shiny as it used to be. This latest move looks particularly grubby.

EzzieD, Lou B Lou, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  3. Suffolkres

Cochrane offices admin is 'hosted' in Oxford....
    Who else do we know from this location...?

4. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Friends in high places. But far fewer than before or Cochrane would not be in the difficulties it finds itself in now.

It seems like someone in a position of authority at Cochrane must of signed off on the decision to refuse our complaint entirely, rather than going for the more traditional route of tick box processing spread out over the longest possible period in order to keep us waiting and ultimately disappoint us. This relatively prompt punch to our impudent faces isn’t quite what I expected.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    bobbler, Lou B Lou, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Karl Morten? Caroline Struthers?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  6. Suffolkres

I was thinking more of Professor Sharpe..

Forgive my ignorance but I thought Karl was at the Nuffield and the University?

Is this the same as NHS Oxford Hospitals Foundation Trust? Or is it separate?
    The NHS FT cites Michael Sparke in their consultant list but not Karl Morton or Caroline.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    Lou B Lou, Ash and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

All your post says is Oxford - Karl is in Oxford.

Ash likes this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Some posts have been moved to News from Cochrane
    Please try to keep posts relevant to the thread topic.

Ash, alktipping, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to Grupa Wsparcia ME/CFS from Poland for being the latest signatory and to @Mike Harley for help.

Ash, mango, SNT Gatchaman and 11 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Takk til ME Foreningen Østfold for supporting the petition!

Ash, mango, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Many thanks to two ME/CFS research foundations who have added their names to the list of organisations supporting the open letter:
    This brings the number of supporting organisations to 69, from 24 countries.

Lou B Lou, Arvo, Joh and 17 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

16. Hutan

We've had a burst of signatures from Switzerland - thanks so much to whoever is responsible for promoting the petition there for that.

Robert 1973, mango, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The Schweizerische Gesellschaft fur ME said they would cover the petition in their December newsletter

Robert 1973, mango, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

19. Hutan

PETITION UPDATE
    December update
    DEC 18, 2023

The day after our last petition update, the S4ME committee sent a letter to the Head of Governance, Cochrane Central Executive Team. You can find the letter here.

In it, we queried Cochrane's earlier letter where they said first, that they were committed to responding to complaints appropriately, and then, made it clear that they would not be following their published complaints procedure for our complaints.

We noted the substantial reputational risk that Cochrane runs in continuing to provide a platform for a review that it has acknowledged is flawed, in not acting in a timely manner in the production of a promised replacement review and in continuing to ignore the opinions of so many consumer organisations that the advice the review provides causes harm.

We noted the double standards, where Cochrane spent over a year investigating a complaint from, presumably, a relatively small group of people who don't want the 2019 Larun review to be replaced. This extensive investigation is reported by Hilda Bastian to have significantly delayed the replacement review and, it appears, has resulted in concessions including more representation of the pro-GET lobby on the "Independent Advisory Group" of the new review.

We asked Cochrane to confirm that the trustees had signed off on the departure from their published complaints procedure for our complaints. We noted that this would surely be required, given that the complaints were against the actions of senior management, and also given the reputational risks. It would be very odd if it was thought acceptable for a complaint against a Cochrane officer to be evaluated only by that officer.

We have not yet received a reply.

The S4ME committee is considering what action to take next.

We intend sometime soon to formally present the petition to the Cochrane trustees, highlighting in doing so the many comments by petitioners, and the names of the organisations supporting this campaign. If we take our complaint to COPE or the UK charity commission, that may need to be done with some level of confidentiality in order to comply with their rules.

Thank you again to all the individuals who have signed the petition, added your own testimony to the harm exercise therapy has caused to you or your loved ones, and spread the word about the petition to others with ME/CFS and Long COVID and their supporters. Please keep doing so.

Thank you also to the many organisations who have signed in support. Do please get in touch with the S4ME team on moderators@s4me.info if your organisation wants to sign or has other ideas of ways to help.

Thank you to the following organisations for adding their names in support of the open letter here bringing the total number of organisations to 69, and, with organisations from Poland and Austria, the number of countries represented to 24.

Grupa Wsparcia ME/CFS, Poland
    Norwegian ME Association, Østfold region
    ME/CFS Research Foundation gGmbH, Germany
    WE&ME Foundation, Austria

While Cochrane still hosts a review that recommends exercise as therapy for ME/CFS, the harm continues, so the fight for health and justice must continue too.

We hope that, as this year draws to an end, you have loved ones close and that the new year brings us all peace, joy, good science and compassion.

Best wishes, the Science for ME team

Nellie, Michelle, RedFox and 19 others like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member