1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Petition: Don't let vested interests perpetuate harmful treatments for ME/CFS!

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Sly Saint, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    Dirty tricks force NICE to cancel launch of new guidelines

Mark Harper
    Cambridge, ENG, United Kingdom
    17 Aug 2021 —

NICE has today announced that it will 'pause' the new guidelines and try to get the support of "professionals and the NHS" https://tinyurl.com/jc2kjdt9

The GET/CBT psychologists have been working hard in the shadows and now they have won a victory. If we don't fight, they will succeed in perpetuating their baseless theories and snake-oil 'treatments'. That will mean continued gaslighting ("hysterical", "hypochondriac" are just two of the epithets that have been thrown at us) and being subjected to harmful treatment.

It's more important than ever to fight this. Please share this petition! We will only be heard if we shout!"

original petition page:
    https://www.change.org/p/national-i...erail-the-review-of-nice-guidelines-on-me-cfs

update page
    https://www.change.org/p/national-i...eview-of-nice-guidelines-on-me-cfs/u/29474574

eta: posted this yesterday as I was a little bit angry about the news re the guidelines. :angelic:

eta2:
    please consider signing the new petition set up by #MEAction
    https://www.change.org/p/the-nation...-the-nice-me-cfs-guideline-now?redirect=false

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  2. Sly Saint

3. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I signed and commented; not sure the value but oh well.

4. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure what the petition is for, apart from venting. It doesn't have a goal like e.g. #ReleaseTheGuidelines based on clear arguments like it's not in patients interest and against NICE procedure to do this, and it was forced from outside against scientific analysis. What does it want to achieve?

EDIT: My bad, I thought I was looking at a new petition, not an update on an existing one. (See post #6 below)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  5. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it shows patients are in favour of the draft guidelines as they saw them, which shows that it is not a small minority of patients opposing GET and 'CBT for CFS'. I don't expect every patient to have the depth of knowledge we have on the forum, and you also need to take into account the petition was drawn up before NICE actually announced it was going to 'pause' publication of the guideline, so actually pre-empted what most of us weren't prepared for.

So they are really just asking for you to vote that the final guidelines are published (as is, without further amendments).

alktipping, Wyva, Wonko and 8 others like this.
  6. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Sly Saint

now at 2136

alktipping, Simbindi, Trish and 3 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

can someone let the Long covid community know about this

9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Sly Saint

Simbindi and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't help wonder if someone in this group maybe knew someone who new someone, to have gained this insight so early. Was it all simply sharp perceptions? Or was there an informed ear to the right bit of ground? If so then would it be worth approaching this group, to see if any insights as to who might have been leant on by who?

13. Sly Saint

other articles by Dr Mark Harper who set up the petition:

ME battle ‘must not be repeated with long Covid’, says chair of Cambridge support group
    https://www.cambridgeindependent.co...-repeated-with-long-covid-says-chair-9198471/

more personal story
    https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/health/me-cfs-personal-story-20562798

14. Sly Saint

https://cambridgeme.org.uk/contact/

eta:
    I have contacted them

15. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Sly Saint

17. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Never been a big fan of petitions, however I have signed.

Invisible Woman, JemPD, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  18. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t like the way this petition centres its argument so much around the psychological “all in your head”. If ME was shown to be psychogenic and the therapies worked I would bite their hand off to do them until I was well.

(As we know the key issue re NICE is that the therapies offered by the NHS are supported by (very) low quality evidence that demonstrates no improvement beyond what might be from placebo and spontaneous improvement)

Signed despite reservations.

19. Sly Saint

20. Sly Saint

Petition update
    Petition passes 6,000 signatures

Mark Harper
    Cambridge, ENG, United Kingdom
    20 Aug 2021 —

I've emailed the NICE committee as follows:

Dear committee members,

The petition from our local Cambridge group now has over 6,000 signatures. This petition, urging you not to be deflected from publishing, will I hope give you a sense of the strength of feeling among sufferers from ME/CFS.

For decades we have been maltreated and traduced. We have been looking forward to the new guidelines as a huge step towards being taken seriously by the health profession and obtaining decent, evidence-based treatment. It is heart-breaking to have this lifeline snatched away from us at the very last minute.

Please do not allow yourselves to be bullied into submission by vested interests in the medical establishment! These people are careless of the evidence and, it seems, of the health and well-being of patients.

Publish!

(6398)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021