1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

People affected by post-COVID-19 fatigue recover more slowly than those suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome, Rossello, 2021, current study

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The researcher of the Biological Foundations of Mental Disorders group and head of the Central Sensitisation Syndrome section at the University Hospital of Santa Maria de Lleida, Lluís Rosselló, has presented the study.
    full article here:
    https://www.irblleida.org/en/news/1...those-suffering-from-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

eta: "The work has been done on 22 people from a post COVID-19 group, 22 patients with symptoms of chronic fatigue"

Invisible Woman, Louie41 and Trish like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems 'unlikely' and is probably the result of 'research' carried out at the behest of....

I have ME, I have had ME since 1987.

I have not 'recovered'.

The number of pwLC who have not recovered after 34 years is nil.

Therefore.....

Maybe this is talking about chronic fatigue, and not chronic fatigue syndrome, ME, ME/CFS, or even CFS/ME?

In which case.....

3. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Er, what? As Wonko rightly pointed out, nobody has had LongCovid for decades yet, so how can the two recovery rates be compared? This indicates that they don't know what chronic fatigue syndrome is, which does not instill confidence in the rest of the study...

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think they are talking about recovery from episodes of PEM, not complete recovery back to healthy.

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So people without years of experience in minimising PEM, who don't know at least some of the warning signals, tend to be in PEM for longer than people who have lived with it for a 'while'?

Seems a 'redundant' study in that case.

To me.

People who've had a year or 3s experience driving cars probably have less accidents than someone who, up until a few months ago had no idea what a car was, as well.

6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty much what I was thinking: Were the CFS patients as newly diagnosed as the LC patients? I know CFS patients can decline over the years, but the first 2 or 3 were the worst for me. Also how does possible recent lung injury in LC play into oxygen utilization?