1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Patient Perspectives on Self-Management Technologies for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (2019) Tabby Davies, Simon Jones, Ryan Kelly

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by MeSci, Jan 26, 2019.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2019

Date: May 4-9, 2019

URL:
    https://researchportal.bath.ac.uk/e...-on-self-management-technologies-for-chronic-

Ref: https://chi2019.acm.org

Patient perspectives on self-management technologies for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Tabby Davies, Simon Jones, Ryan Kelly
    - Department of Computer Science, University of Bath, U.K.

Abstract

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a debilitating condition that is characterised by a range of physical, cognitive and social impairments.

However, a lack of clinical consensus around effective treatments for CFS means that patients typically engage in self-management of their symptoms. In this paper we investigate CFS patients' perspectives on the potential for technological support for their self-management practices.

We report findings from three studies in which people living with CFS

1) prioritised symptoms that they would like technologies to address,

2) articulated their current approaches to self-management alongside challenges they face, and 3) reflected on their experiences with three existing smartphone apps related to symptom management.

The findings provide insight into the specific needs of CFS patients and show how their self-management goals diverge from the general notion of 'self-tracking' as currently understood by the HCI community. We also reflect on the ability of researchers to engage in a participatory process with individuals suffering from severely debilitating medical symptoms.

Keywords: Health and Wellbeing, human computer interaction, Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis, Technology

--------
    (c) 2018 University of Bath

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It will be interesting to see the full paper when it becomes available, as I am very unclear what to understand from the abstract.

Is anyone aware of the three existing 'smart phone apps relating to symptom management'?

I am perhaps, unsurprisingly given the disastrous reputation of the clinical ME/CFS services and research in Bristol and in Bath, very wary of anything linked to either of these cities, but can not tell from this abstract if I am being unfair or not?

3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

This is the computer science dept and the HCI (Human Computer Interaction) are a good group although the person I know isn't involved in this paper.

ukxmrv, MeSci, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was an app promoted by Bath which was available via NHS, around 4 years ago. But when i looked into it, it was no longer available . Activity management app.

MEMarge, Andy and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just did a search for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Apple's App Store and came up with the following:
    • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diary - cellHigh £4.99
    • Free ME/CFS Meditations from Chronic Fatigue ME & - Aluna Moon Publishing £13.99
    • Pain Diary & Community CatchMyPain Pro - Sanovation Ag £6.99
    • Chronic Fatgue Syndrome Guide - Kevin O'Brien £3.99
    • Fibromyalgia by AzoMedical - Azo network free
    • Pace it - No Moss Co Pty Ltd £1.99
    • MissingMillions a Profile Filter - William Hodges free
    A search for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis only brought up the last two. As these searches were done on an iPad it only would bring up Apps with versions for iPads so there may be more for other platforms.

Added- Further searches for ME/CFS and CFS/ME brought up the following further Apps in addition to the above:

• B12 Deficiency - B12 Global Ltd £4.99
    • PA Pernicious Anemia - B12 Global Ltd £4.99
    • Chronic Illness Monitor - B12 Global Ltd £4.99
    • FibroMapp - Bodymap Apps £2.99

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Joh and MEMarge like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

7. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.
  8. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Self-Management Technologies?

Like on the The Jetsons? Well, that flying car is pretty cool, and all the robots would be helpful, but my heart belongs to Astro, so it's a difficult thing..

How about any technology that extracts The Media from up the posterior of State Medical Nonsense?

JellyBabyKid likes this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have used a fitbit for years and never felt ashamed of how much/little I can do. It is a good tool which suits me.

Some days I do not realise how much I have done so it helps me know to rest. I like the sleep notifications and heart rate function.

It is the medical profession and other people who make us feel ashamed though I do not think shame is much of a problem compared with the frustration of knowing we are physically ill but not having it acknowledged.

It reminds me of being in hospital where no one seemed to care about what I felt were my problems but insisted on spending time on things that were irrelevant

11. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

My heart rate monitor has never left me feeling frustrated and ashamed. In fact it never occurred to me to have any feelings about it whatsoever. It's a tool, a machine, a thing. As long as it serves a purpose I use it, and if it stops being useful I'll discard it, leaving it feeling rejected and hurt. Maybe the authors' next paper should be about feelings of abandonment in discarded technological appliances.

Woolie, obeat, Mithriel and 6 others like this.