1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

PACE trial graphs and gifs

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Lucibee, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've created this thread as a repository for user-generated graphs and gifs related to the PACE trial.

Inara, JohnTheJack, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  2. Lucibee

Here is my gif of 6mWT vs PF for all groups. Data missing at the end is shown in red at the start.

PACE_PFvsWT_all.gif

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I know 6mWT stands for 6 minutes Walk Test but what does PF stand for please?

Inara, MSEsperanza and MEMarge like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

PF is SF-36 Physical Functioning questionnaire.

Inara, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  5. Clara

Clara Established Member (Voting Rights)

@Lucibee What software did you use to make the charts? Thanks!

Barry and MEMarge like this.
  6. Lucibee

Excel for the multiple timepoints and graphs. Then hours and hours (yawn) of cutting and pasting into Powerpoint (and swearing when things didn't line up properly). Then saved as WMV file (from slide show). Then uploaded to a WMV to GIF converter online.

Clara, Inara, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  7. sea

sea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry I don’t understand the point of the gif. Because it moves while I’m trying to work out what the charts show I can’t make any sense of it at all.

alktipping, MSEsperanza and JemPD like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The distance walked in 6 minutes is on the y axis. The SF-36 Physical function score (as per Graham's first video) is on the x axis.

And the four graphs are for each of the separate treatments.

A particular blue dot is for a particular participant. The start point is the combination of walk time and physical function score at the beginning of the trial. And that blue dot moves through the data recorded for that one person throughout the trial.

The red dots are for the participants who had missing data (I'm not sure if that was just missing data at the end of trial?).

If the objective and subjective measures are telling the same positive story, then there should be movement towards the top right corner over time.

@Lucibee, could you also show your data as 4 line charts, with the trajectories of each participant shown as a line? (Maybe lines going backwards (to the bottom or the left) would have to be shown in a different colour?)

Inara, alktipping, Barry and 4 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you have more data I could probably help you cut that workload significantly. I was a software developer. I particularly dealt with data manipulation, representation, conversion and display. I work much slower than before but the knowledge is still all there.

Inara, alktipping, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  10. Lucibee

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I didn't have the interim data, so I suspect each blue dot jumps around an awful lot in reality (as @Graham found with the FINE data).

11. Lucibee

Just having start and end points in different colours would do it. I'll see if I can work out how to get Excel to do that - but it will be messy.
    I thought the movement was helpful to show how similar the groups were.

Gecko, Inara, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, sorry, I thought later I should have said how good your charts are. It's just that maybe a static version might be good for people who have a harder time with movement and it also might be another interesting way to look at the data.

I think having the improving lines and the worsening lines in different colours would give a good visual sense of what was going on. But conditional formatting of each participant's series in the chart would take some working out; I'm not sure if it could be automated. If not, that is a tedious job.

alktipping, Trish and Lucibee like this.
  13. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually, I love the GIF. You need to look at it a lot of times to see various patterns emerge. For example, they all have points which drop, either on the sf-36 PF or on the 6-min walk, but, credit to GET, not many of those patients drop their walking distance, but does have several dropping on the PF. In contrast, "scaredy-cat" APT does have quite a few dropping both ways.

There are also some interesting anomolies, such as one on the SMC group which increases the walking distance to pretty good, but drops a lot on the PF.

Inara, alktipping, Barry and 3 others like this.
  14. Lucibee

Here are graphs specific to the GET arm. I've posted the gif and the graph I put together to show that data are NOT missing at random - ie, I suspect that 6mWT results for GET group were biased towards those with better PF at the end of the trial.

PACE_PFvsWT_GET.gif
    6minWTmissing.png

Sean, alktipping, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  15. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is the potential for some sort of aliasing effect if not careful I imagine, where one blue dot could newly occupy the space someone else's blue dot previously occupied or looked likely to occupy, but the moving images make it pretty clear to see for some dots at least.

alktipping likes this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@Lucibee, that's excellent thank you.

Sean, alktipping, Barry and 1 other person like this.
  17. Graham

Many years ago, when I was a mere slip of a lad, there was a computer called an Amiga, and some graphic software that did "tweening". You plotted where a point started and where it ended, then it moved from one to the other according to the type of movement you wanted. I think our Amiga had 2 Meg of memory.

These days you need relatively sophisticated software with Gigs of memory to do it. I use Cheeta3D. I used to be able to do it on an older version of Photoshop, but my current "upgraded" version no longer offers that. What did you use @Lucibee ?

alktipping and Barry like this.
  18. Lucibee

19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But they seemed to still report they were improved or about the same, which in terms of PF/6mwt still shows the same inflationary trend.

Sean and alktipping like this.
  20. Graham

Sorry @Lucibee ! I saw in the later post that you used Excel, but couldn't work out what you used to create the animated Gif.

With Cheetah3D you don't have a graphing option, so you have to plot each point by hand (well, if you scale it properly, you have to specify each co-ordinate), but the animation and video are automatic. The trouble is that the learning curve is steep. Luckily I have a live-in graphic tutor, otherwise known as a son.

Lucibee, Trish and Amw66 like this.