1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion piece: "McMindfulness: Buddhism as sold to you by neoliberals"

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://theconversation.com/mcmindfulness-buddhism-as-sold-to-you-by-neoliberals-88338

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And yet my impression of modern life is that ethics are considered to be an optional extra in so many facets of life.

The people who are supposed to reject materialist values are the poor, so that they don't expect anything of the rich when the rich don't need them. At the same time, what little money the poor have is supposed to be spent on making the rich richer.

3. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mindfulness can be helpful in some instances to a minor degree. But to present it as a cure is pure con. It is not even the decoration on top of the cake. Its sugar dust while the whole cake (health) is missing.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Invisible Woman, zzz, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that cake is probably taking a long time to bake because its using organic gluten free flour that has been grown from wheat in a buddist temple that has been threshed by virgins that have a propensity for hand washing? Hopefully they can enlighten us with something more nourishing soon?

Perhaps I need the inspirobot thread?

erin, Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  6. zzz

zzz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found the final paragraph of the article to be a good summary of the issues involved.