1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion: ‘You don’t want to get better’: the outdated treatment of ME/CFS patients is a national scandal - George Monbiot

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Mar 12, 2024.

1. MBailey

MBailey Established Member (Voting Rights)

It's been corrected now -
    Added at the bottom of the article:
    "This article was amended on 12 March 2024 to replace an incorrect hyperlink"

Louie41, Michelle, Solstice and 26 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good article

I hope the other Guardian journalists have read it some of their articles are high up on the list for contributing to harm. I stopped reading the Guardian as a result for about 5 years.

3. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The fact that it names and shames Wessley and Sharpe is excellent and will no doubt have been through some checks to make sure it's ok to name them as such. Will be interesting to see if they respond - their silence will be telling - but they might employ some of their useful idiots to do some their dirty work.

Shame he didn't throw Crawley and Chalder in the mix, but, beggars can't be choosers.

4. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s being promoted by Guardian Science on Xitter, which is encouraging: https://twitter.com/user/status/1767559495889109390

I also noticed that other day that Ian Sample, Guardian Science Editor, said some positive things about people with ME/CFS last year:
    https://meassociation.org.uk/2023/0...re-we-any-closer-to-understanding-long-covid/

And the SMC quoted 3 good ME/CFS researcher for its coverage of the Wallit NIH “effort preference” paper.

All positive signs that the sands may be shifting.

[edit: posted corrected tweet. Old one deleted.]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fantastic article!

Ironic that on the left side, one of the recommended articles is literally one of the opinion pieces going against the NICE guidelines. I'm sure it would have been too awkward to name it on their own pages, but the Guardian has played a significant role in pushing this propaganda, though not nearly as much as medical publishers.

6. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, its in today.

7. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish all journalists were as good as George Monbiot. Brilliant. He's really taken the time to understand the situation properly (not easy to do).

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Robert 1973

10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to the people in the ME/CFS community who helped George with the content, including members here.

11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its such a great article, with links too, a succinct summary of all the important points. One of, if not the, best articles ever published on the subject, especially in terms of referability - i'll be happily directing people to it. Deep appreciation to Goeorge Monbiot & all involved. Appreciate the editor printing it too.

lol wait for the outrage! i cant believe he named names!

12. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It will be interesting to see what happens. It does feel that things have moved on from articles being withdrawn and journalists offending the BPS deities getting the sack.

Weesley and Sharpe must be itching to respond, but also must be aware of the risks this involves. I suspect either others will try to mount a defence in some way, and/or like the anomalies article attacking NICE a collection of names will appear on a letter of protest to the Guardian.

Sid, ladycatlover, Solstice and 25 others like this.
  13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know why the article's comments have disappeared?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Louie41, Solstice, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

As far as I know it never had an open comments section, despite the URL in part saying "comment is free".

15. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't notice any comments yesterday the first few times I visited the page ( I was actively looking for comments) but then the comments link appeared and I was able to view the them. I assumed I just hadn't noticed the link earlier but then in subsequent visits the link disappeared. It was only on that one visit that I was able to view them.

16. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes @Andy you are right the comments section was always turned off, or at least it was when i looked yesterday morning. IIRC comments not often enabled on ME/CFS articles, think they get too heated.

"Comment Is Free" in the url is because its a subsection of the guradian 'opinion' section. Francis Ryan often writes under it, its people writing opinion pieces. Nowt to do with the public commenting on articles

17. Robert 1973

George seems to have got the bit between his teeth. I gather there is more to come :)

“All this requires further investigation. The injustices done to patients with ME/CFS are compound and multiple. It's not just individual clinicians in the frame, but universities and departments, insurance companies, government and media. Great wrongs have been done.”​

hinterland, MEMarge, Louie41 and 45 others like this.
  18. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great if this becomes better understood. Potentially a game changer.

MEMarge, Louie41, Arnie Pye and 29 others like this.
  19. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Comments often aren't enabled on controversial topics, specially where individuals are named. George's article will have passed legal checks, but I imagine newspapers don't have moderators with enough of that kind of knowledge to manage comments on it.

20. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Guardian often disable comments, in fact it’s only certain pieces they will enable comments for a limited time. Avoids paying for mods or dealing with legal issues.