Opinion: ‘You don’t want to get better’: the outdated treatment of ME/CFS patients is a national scandal - George Monbiot

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for that Kitty. Is there a way to share this transcript beyond this forum? I want to show it to family members, but can't work out how to share it.

Kitty, EzzieD, MrMagoo and 7 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me it downloads as a Word document. I can save that to my desktop and attach it to a message using the paper clip sign. As below.

Attached Files:

Kitty, EzzieD, MrMagoo and 8 others like this.
  3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll take a look this weekend and maybe post it on Virology Blog. I did the interview partly because I knew many people might have challenges reading George's 1000-word column. Now of course some people have trouble with video/audio and prefer to read, so it's good to make an edited version of the transcript available. Thanks to @JohnTheJack and @Kitty for doing this!!

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial By Error: Guardian Columnist George Monbiot Discusses His Scathing Rebuke of the Biopsychosocial Brigades–Text Version
    1 Comment / By David Tuller / 23 April 2024

By David Tuller, DrPH

Last week, I spoke with George Monbiot, a British investigative reporter and political activist, who has been a columnist for The Guardian for almost 30 years. He and I have been in occasional communication in recent years over an issue of mutual interest—the scandalous mistreatment of patients suffering from the devastating illness (or cluster of illnesses) known as ME/CFS and, more recently, from Long Covid.

For years, I have been hoping that a prominent British journalist would take on the charlatans who foisted the fraudulent PACE trial upon an unsuspecting public. Last month, Monbiot gratified that desire with a scathing column that correctly characterized the treatment of ME/CFS patients as a “national scandal.” (I blogged about the column here.) As he explains, his interest in the issue was largely prompted by the actions of PACE investigator Professor Michael Sharpe. Three years ago, at an insurance industry gather organized by Swiss Re, Professor Sharpe essentially blamed Monbiot for triggering patient reports of Long Covid by having written about it. (Monbiot’s initial 2021 column on Long Covid is here, and his response to Professor Sharpe ridiculous criticism is here; my blog about the contretemps is here.)

https://virology.ws/2024/04/23/tria...of-the-biopsychosocial-brigades-text-version/

Kalliope, Hutan, Solstice and 20 others like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Transcript looks great, thanks @dave30th.

It's great to have this as well as the video to share—some people prefer one form over another, even if they don't have ME. Obviously, it's also easier to remind yourself of specific points from a transcript.

Hutan, bobbler, Sean and 16 others like this.
  7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the nudge! I appreciate it.

Hutan, bobbler, Sean and 10 others like this.