1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) fundraising

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Adam pwme, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anybody know if this is an established technique/method? Thanks

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So far as I am aware the creation of such cultures is a well established thing. I am unsure about brain cells though. Tissue cultures allow a lot more testing, but you do have the risk that the processes used to create them might introduce changes. It really depends on what you have done to them. Immortalising them, for example, can permanently change their nature. Once we have such a culture it can become a test bed for rapid testing of a great many things. This is extremely valuable to rapidly advance the science.

3. Jaybee00

4. Possibly James May

Possibly James May Established Member

Does anyone know if this is an expensive process, i.e. is this going to take years to do due to its cost?

Hoopoe likes this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All with barely any institutional funding! In fact against a strong gale of resistance and hip-deep in quicksands of apathy. Although it will take years given this is trying to do the equivalent of $200M per year funding with 1/10 of that in total. Reducing funds always means lengthening the schedule when you can't drop the quality.

In hindsight that's going to be the most impressive fact in this, a problem even harder to solve than figuring out HIV and it will have largely been solved by private funds from sick people and their families. Meanwhile research institutions basically still have their feet up their noses arguing over political nonsense. Stellar work, chumps and chumpettes.

I hope this changes how medical research is funded. The current system is so utterly unable to meet the needs. But you can always count on medicine to never learn any lessons from its own mistakes so I'm not holding my breath.

RuthT likes this.
  6. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Raeka Aiyar, gave a talk at the Stanford Symposium in September titled "Revolutionizing Disease Research with Stem Cells". It seems a pretty well established technique.
    https://www.omf.ngo/community-symposium-3/

rvallee likes this.
  7. Jaybee00

I would assume the difficulty is in getting MECFS brain cells, not just brain cells per se.

Maybe they could induce MECFS in the cells with Cipro or the anti-cancer compounds that @RDP mentioned in other threads

Possibly James May likes this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Growing brain cells sounds completely unrealistic. I am not sure why they do not test the trap using MR spectroscopy on the brains of PWME who are ill. If the metabolite is skewed it should show up.

9. wigglethemouse

From what I understood from watching some ME talks such as Michael VanElzakkers, at present they can only measure a limited number of metabolites with the technology used.

andypants likes this.
  10. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might it not be fruitful to suggest this to the teams. The severely ill are counting the hours until their release.

Sarah94 likes this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the grapevine works quite well here. Most of the things I have posted on S4ME have been picked up on if they make sense.

12. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am glad you seem certain of this Dr Edwards. I find that sometimes researchers (in any field) like to avoid distractions, even if these might be fruitful. I have seen this in my field ever so often. I am not alone to have observed that sometimes one feels there seems to be a lack of urgency (unlike in AIDS or even Cancer). After all, these sick folks are just 'resting', and everyone likes to rest. But as you know this is unrelenting torture. And the thinking is with every input, with every collaboration--things just might move along better.

PS. Let me just add, I know of one researcher who tries very directly to contribute but the big guns are just not giving the time....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  13. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Dr Ron Davis shares an update on research at the OMF-funded ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center at the Stanford Genome Technology Center. He shares holiday greetings and hope with the entire ME/CFS community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJPyshe8TpI

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2019
    petrichor, FMMM1, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Youtube generated transcript

15. wigglethemouse

My interpretation of this is that you find an interesting result in pilot work that you want to follow up on, submit an NIH grant, but the reviewers say you are not an expert so deny. We know the make-up of ME review panels is pretty bad from Jennie Spotila's blog posts. How do we get out of this?

I now understand better why Colombia and Jackson got the center grants. Jackson has top experts in microbiome and immunology on the project, and Colombia are THE experts in viruses/pathogens

But if you don't have a long term grant, you can't hire the expert to work on it!

16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is a delicious irony, isn't it? Review panels comprising people who are not experts, or even authorities, on the relevant subject, determining who has relevant expertise.

17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like Chris Armstrong has found some interesting metabolites (time 2.20 to 2.50). Possibly the could make a breakthrough; however, I think Ron said in the past that you pretty much need to have done the work before NIH will fund you to do the work!

Sarah94, Andy and wigglethemouse like this.
  18. wigglethemouse

Thanks for the timestamp. They didn't say who actually found the metabolites not measured before. They did say Chris Armstrong and Laurel Crosby would be working on it, with some assistance from Robert Phair. I assume the first two do the experiments and the last one some pathway simulation or analysis.

I think this is one of the most powerful aspects of the work of this team with funding from OMF. They don't have to wait for a grant to follow-up on a lead, they have the flexibility to get stuck right in. I'm guessing most leads will turn up blank, but one day I'm hoping they or another group hits jackpot.

Trish, FMMM1 and Andy like this.
  19. Sly Saint

from email

MEMarge, andypants, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint