1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Onset patterns of chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis (2018) Evans & Jason

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Esther12, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The common denominator of ME/CFS and T1D is coxsackievirus B4, a virus linked to both diseases. This was the virus that appeared to cause my ME/CFS, and one young nephew who caught my virus from me later developed T1D.

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My sister has adult onset T1D hmm!?!

(confirmation bias for the win!)

merylg and Hip like this.
  3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not being able to name the date of a sudden onset isn't the same as there not being a sudden onset. Mine was sudden but I have no diary back to that point or any medical records with the date written down. I difficulty even remember the year.

It's a bit like being asked for an alibi in court years after an event that one didn't realise was going to be important.

Skycloud, Inara, Indigophoton and 4 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel I would have recovered from the viral infection if I didn't get vaccinated soon after.

Sudden viral vertigo attack--->feeling ok but grinding nausea in my gut and mild sore throat, was still able to work and go to school.
    One month later----> Tetanus and Rubella shot on same day, feeling ok but now experiencing mild sore throat and ear, gut nausea/grinding.
    One month later---> first Hep B shot, feeling like my head is in a fish bowl and a little more 'unwell' but still able to function but not exercise.
    One month after that ---> second Hep B shot, losing stamina in my legs, nausea/sick/grinding gut, very jittery, mild sore throat/ear and sudden vertigo attack comes back. Extremely elevated anti-thyroid antibodies.

Skycloud, Inara, merylg and 2 others like this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, these anedotal stories don't say much in statistical terms, but it again might suggest that your own ME/CFS involves CVB4.

Type 1 diabetes is linked to CVB1, CVB4 and EV4 (in the studies I have seen).

Dr Chia finds, in decreasing order of prevalence, the following enteroviruses in ME/CFS patients: CVB3, CVB4, CVB2, EV6, EV7, EV9, EV11.

So that's why it seems that CVB4 is the common denominator.

Inara and merylg like this.