1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Onset patterns of chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis (2018) Evans & Jason

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Esther12, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The effects of cognitive exertion on one person:

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Andy and 6 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Webdog, Andy, Snow Leopard and 4 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

MEMarge, Andy, andypants and 4 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

MEMarge, Webdog, Andy and 4 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

ukxmrv, Webdog, Andy and 5 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Andy and 5 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

MEMarge, Andy, andypants and 4 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

upload_2018-6-8_20-19-17.png

Andy, andypants, Inara and 2 others like this.
  9. Dolphin

Stress, a controversial topic:

Andy, andypants, Inara and 2 others like this.
  10. Dolphin

Another controversial topic: whether people might have been working too hard before they got ill:

Webdog, Andy, andypants and 3 others like this.
  11. Dolphin

Emotional impact and emotional support:

12. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how many people in general have not had stressors in the years before and after any arbitrary event, though.

MEMarge, Andy, andypants and 8 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

MEMarge, NelliePledge, Andy and 4 others like this.
  14. Dolphin

NelliePledge, Andy, chrisb and 4 others like this.
  15. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like hopelessness. But that can't be depression is biochemical...

andypants likes this.
  16. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It occurs to me that, for those whose initial illness was a slow and steady progression where they tried to maintain their workloads, there may be a risk of skewing results in questionnaires towards the Type A overworker stereotype.

As I became increasingly ill, with nothing apparently wrong, I tried to get on with it. I was aware that it seemed that I was working harder, achieving poorer results and it was taking me much longer.

If I filled in a questionnaire at this stage, or in the year or so after having to stop work, it might well look like I was a perfectionist overworking myself. This would be as a consequence of trying to cope with the illness rather than the cause of the illness though. The fact I was being told there was nothing wrong compounded this.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Mij, MEMarge, Indigophoton and 7 others like this.
  17. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not have the spoons to read the full doc, so apologies if this is in there, but does it say anything about combinations of causes?

I.e., in my case, I had had a really traumatic two years of my life, which then ended with two viral infections one month apart, causing my onset of ME. I have no way of knowing this, but my hunch is that if only one of the factors was present I would have been less likely to get ME. That’s academic though really and easy to say in hindsight, maybe it would’ve happened anyway.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Mij, Amw66, Indigophoton and 2 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I think this is very much the case, it certainly was with me. Also, how many of us, healthy or not, are that happy with the label of not trying to achieve as much as possible?

MEMarge, Forbin, Indigophoton and 3 others like this.
  19. Dolphin

There were only 14 participants in the qualitative part of the study but if one adds up the individual causes there are a lot more than 14 so many people mention more than one. The individual figures show the different case histories of some individuals.

Indigophoton and Dr Carrot like this.
  20. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope everything will become clearer and we will have a better vocabulary to talk about this sort of thing with more and better research into exactly what ME is.

Actual Myalgic encephalomyelitis came in epidemics, including the one at Tahoe, so an acute viral onset has to be a major cause. My personal belief is that most, if not all, cases come from an infection, though that infection could be subclinical so not noticed. The virus, could be different ones, attacks the respiratory mechanism of the cell, either directly or causing an autoimmune reaction against an essential element.

This makes the ONSET sudden, even if the development of symptoms is GRADUAL.

I hope this is the case because it means we could develop a test to pick it up as soon as the slightest symptoms become apparent so that all the serious effects can be avoided.

This has actually happened with MS. Before the mid nineties no one was diagnosed as having MS until they were very disabled. Now you get an MRI with your first symptom and then get drugs, but even better can modify your lifestyle to keep as much health as possible.

Ramsay described relapsing/remitting episodes after a sudden onset as being the course of ME in about 50% of patients. (He felt 25% recovered completely from the initial illness so it could be that ME is an abnormal effect of an infection just like polio. So being stressed physically, mentally or by having more than one infection at the same time could all lead to a chronic form of the illness.)

merylg, AliceLily, MEMarge and 3 others like this.