1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

On BBC Morning there was a mum and daughter talking about FII

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Suffolkres, Mar 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inara, ScottTriGuy, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a short report on BBC lunchtime TV news today by a reporter (Adrian ??- radio 5) talking about FII.

He explained what it is, and named autism and Ehlers Danlos as conditions it might be associated with. No mention of ME.

Perhaps someone might like to contact Adrian ( sorry no surname- info had been given before topic was clear) and introduce him to Dr Speight or Tymes Trust.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just listened to this:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00030dr

The doctor who features throughout is Dr Danya Glaser
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/psychoanalysis/people/danya-glaser

Interviews with various parents falsely accused.
    Even when cleared, FII is still on the medical notes and so gets picked up time and again whenever the parents seek medical help for child.
    Most often FII proceedings are instigated following reports from mainly paediatricians but also teachers, GPs and social workers.
    Also often reported as a result of a complaint made by the parent re treatment.

around 30.57 on the recording mentions M.E.

Fiightback; group helping some 600 cases. 400% increase of cases in the last five years; thus far 70% of cases have been cleared of FII accusations.

https://www.fiightback.co.uk/

Last parent interviewed was accused of FII (Daughter eventually diagnosed with EDS). Report based on the wrong notes; authorities denied this but eventually it turned out to be true, that they had mixed up the daughters notes with another patient. Meanwhile the girl had been sent to the psychiatric unit at a hospital for 10 months.
    Mother also accused of 'Doctor shopping' which is also apparently a 'sign' of FII; namely trying to get to see a different doctor.

Hutan, Inara, ScottTriGuy and 12 others like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Doctor shopping can be a necessity with ME to find someone who will take it seriously.

In our case we changed GPs when the GP wouldn't follow the consultant paediatricians requests but the paediatrician wouldn't even do anything to sort that out past the letter he originally wrote. Of course nothing happens to the doctors who are essentially failing or giving misleading diagnoses.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The more I listen to everyone involved in this business the more I regret just how much of a mess up (insert obscenity here if you so wish) my colleagues have made of this.

It is quite clear to me that you will need to doctor shop to find someone who has a constructive approach to ME.

On the other hand doctor shopping is very likely to bring people into contact with doctors who provide plausible 'biomedical' explanations that are just as bogus as FII or MUS or whatever.

I cannot judge the last case in the BBC programme. However, I am pretty sure that 95% of people given the diagnosis of EDS in the last ten years do not have a genetic connective tissue disorder responsible for their illness. They have an illness and they may be hypermobile but the two having nothing to do with each other. As many members will know, I have been close to the evolution of the 'EDS' story in the UK for forty years, so have some basis for saying this. (E.g. I was an author on one of the first papers purporting to show cardiac involvement in 'hypermobility EDS' and was later asked to take over the most prominent hypermobility clinic in the UK, but declined.)

So the situation is complicated. I suspect part of the problem is that parents want an explanation for a child's illness when often there is none - we simply do not know what is the cause. ME as a name has the advantage that it makes no claims about cause. EDS does and probably wrongly. Doctors confuse the natural desire for an explanation for 'looking for something that isn't real' or inventing an illness for the child. If anyone is fabricating illness in these cases it is the private doctor, or empire-building academic, who makes a nice living out of selling phoney diagnoses.

The situation is then compounded by the fact that the psychiatrists appear to have no understanding of how harmful inpatient care is. Not only do they have no solution to the parents' quest but make the child far more miserable than they would have been.

I think it may also be important to recognise that there may genuinely be parents whose attitude to the child's illness has a negative impact. But I think this is likely to be very rare and something quite different from the natural vigilance of parents looking for answers.

Above all what is needed is clarity about the facts. There is no doubt that there is a pattern of illness that can be called ME. There is pretty little evidence for there being real illnesses with names like EDS, MCAS, or even POTS that are responsible for chronic disability of the sort people are familiar with here.

6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not directly in relation to FII, but a physician once told me they never make mistakes. This was in response to my politely pointing out they had made a mistake.

Re the FII scenario - it seems beyond a nightmare. To be suspect because you have a clean house, and a brand new fridge with none of your kid's drawings on it, is completely ridiculous. Or to be suspect because you are intelligent, do your own research, and are genuinely loving and concerned about your children is kafkaesque.

The policy of it's all for the kids has missed the mark. As the radio interviewer said, it's a package deal. Persecution and prosecution of the parents, especially when parents are not found to be at fault, damages not only the moms and dad's, but their children.

Blending someone else's medical file with another person's and at least partially on that basis incarcerating them in a psychiatric institution is shocking. No apology afterwards is outrageous!

Hutan, ScottTriGuy, Skycloud and 7 others like this.
  7. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I did have in mind just having a doctor who would offer the basic services but I think you make an important point. As a parent with a child with ME (or I assume a patient first diagnosed, or not diagnosed) in trying to be taken seriously you can be driven to find a doctor who appears to offer an explanation and treatment. Treatments offered need to be based on evidence it doesn't matter whether they are bio or psych driven if they don't work or are dangerous that's bad.

One of our initial issues as parents was the lack of investigations to rule out other causes - it was a battle even to get basic NICE blood tests done. Its not necessarily about explanation but its about confidence that the right diagnosis is made, nothing is being missed and there aren't treatments that are being missed due to mis-diagnosis.

So even to have a doctor recognise a symptom pattern as an ME pattern can help and to have confidence they have thought through other things is important. It took us a long time to feel comfortable with the diagnosis and that there wasn't some other underlying issue left unexplored. For me I think it was only when hearing the same symptoms from other patients (on line in places like this) that I felt confidence the diagnosis was correct.

Sid, Hutan, lycaena and 13 others like this.
  8. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For those of us with a limit on our ability to go through links, Please define FII?

ETA: Oh, is it another MUS-like acronym? (Hate acronyms)
    EATA: Wikipedia disambiguation for FII

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. Suffolkres

I consider my journey as a parent of a child with ME symptomolgy, is more akin to being in a tug of war with differing medical opinions surrounding you. The health visitor was spot on at an early age, allergy, intolerances, sensitivities; GP was a trial and the health visitor said her GPs never ceased to disappoint her.
    When the medical practitioners cannot decide amongst themselves, what is one to do?
    When my son was old enough to decide for himself at 14 we went 'doctor shopping' and saw the late (great) Alan Franklin, bless him.
    Now that was what made me a 'marked mum'...... as the local community paediatricain treated me as though I had consorted with the devil. Ask Nigel Speight about what happened in Suffolk , or Margaret Mar in the 1990s.
    Or watch Panorama (Sick and Tired) with Matthew Hill........http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/archive/506549.stm

Justice was never done for child X from Suffolk.

Sid, Lisa108, ScottTriGuy and 5 others like this.
  10. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Suffolkres, can you please share a link of some information on the child x case please?

11. Suffolkres

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  12. Suffolkres

Now you see the relevance to my drawing attention to this 1999 documentary.
    Do leopards change their spots?

Community paediatrician Alan Stanton-Consultant Community Paediatrician, University Hospitals Birmingham -G D Committee 2019

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Alan_Stanton
    Sick and Tired documentary
    The BBC documentary Sick and Tired (Panorama) described the background to the General Medical Council complaint about Alan Stanton, along with cases of several doctors who later lost their license to practice as a result of falsely accusing a parent of child abuse.[1

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Inara, ScottTriGuy and daftasabrush like this.
  13. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sat dawn with my coffee and read your post Johnathan and like the caffeine, you are so needed. In a world gone mad I'm not sure if I could cope without you, Science for ME and all the community.

I help support Fiightback and the situation is beyond words at the secret courts and the false record keeping along with the inability to find the right information that fits the condition of the child, is beyond comprehension. The amount of mothers packed off to prison or children taken away because a lack of a name to their child's illness is staggering. Courts, Education, Social Services along with PIP need a name for the illness and I'm not sure it is the parent pushing for a name.

Dr shopping for many of us is not an option due to that is the second red flag Dr Glaser looks for. The first is an unrecognised condition. That is another reason a name is useful. Most parents would not bat an eyelid at Medically Unexplained Symptoms, if that meant we were given the right information to support our child. But as we all know that is not the case.

The new tool kit for EDS is this helpful? Well from my point of view it could be. I'm not sure you would agree?

I suffered with many things including 5 miscarriages, cysts on the ovaries (psychosomatic then they told me I gave the wrong symptoms. The cyst had a tooth and hair that was clinging on to other organs) endometriosis not taken seriously (apparently I had a low pain threshold, I have given birth three times with not pain relief so I would question that) and all the other problems you get. My mum the same, and we both nearly died due the hysterical woman approach. Personally I don't care what you call a condition I just don't want my daughter going through what my mum and I went through.

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/clinical-an...-ehlers-danlos-syndromes-toolkit-for-gps.aspx

IBS me, my daughter, my son and me. It took me 2 years of my son declining in health, to ask for a test for my son for celiac I'm intolerant and my son who has ME form the age of 8 now 13 is celiac and I would say we both need to be tested for MCAS, he has POTS. When you read the history of Ean Proctor's mother, Sophia Merza and Merryn Croft you see the pattern emerge of PEM causing eating problems and with my son this is most deferentially the case.

We know that wheat intolerance can do to the lining of the gut and we know that top athletes have to be careful of over training. Looking at the two brothers crossing the line at their race you can see ME take shape. This is what happens to my son when he goes to the toilet on a bad day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-eeTHH8-L0

. How he feels is the sames as Johnny we could learn so much from those in the sports field

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a1eEtGAuiY

. Henry Worsley on his epic challenge was found to have bacterial peritonitis, at the same time Maureen Hansen work comes out on the Gut will Redox and lack of oxygen in the gut give us answers?

When in PEM my son cannot eat potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, drink milk eat fruit or chocolate and after each meal he will go cold and IBS hits the roof. I know when he is coming out of PEM as he asks for a hot chocolate. This has been for last 5 years so not a fluke. Why is that? why is the sensitivity heightened when he he is in PEM?

When I started to get a grip on ME and the PEM state, I noted that just before my son went into a PEM state, deep purple marks would break out over his knees at first - he was 10 at the time no growth spurt he was still undiagnosed celiac so small for his age. When I was threatened with FII and courts I drafted in Dr Speight. He noted the headaches that I first thought were either connected with tummy migraines or sinus headaches. my son also had a long standing cough. Dr Speight questioned Hypermobility toes,ankles, legs, elbows and now fingers).

5 years on they just dismiss his hypermobilityor EDS and do not want to label him with another disputed condition. My thoughts is that if you have connective tissue that is showing on the skin, what is it doing to his joints and organs? How can I support my son and know how best to keep him active with POTS. When his joints like spent elastic bands, will building muscle really help and how can I do that with ME? When reading a book or laughing with his brother and sister causes his HR to go up to 200 and into PEM as walking or exercising we are truly missing something. We don't discover because we don't look at PEM or listen to those with the condition?

His marks are now across his back around his rib-cadge and they look aggressive and they upset me, for 101 reasons but mostly because this is not normal. He can hardly breath most of the time his chest feels tight and he says he cannot expand his chest enough to breath. His throat muscles act in the same way and when he is out of the PEM for a few days, this tightening eases. If I try to explain this to any medical staff we come in contact with, I'm treated like the demon mother or explaining something that simply does not exist in the medical world.

Compliance with the Drs understanding is necessary if you want to keep your child safe. However it stops us from learning.

If you listen to the mothers they tell a pattern of their children and those children that have grown up with this disease could hold some clues.
    Ean proctors mother http://www.ahmf.org/ww-ean.html
    Emily Collingridge https://www.me-pedia.org/wiki/Emily_Collingridge#Illness
    Sophia and Merryn dorsal root ganglionitis

It took a lot of us to get Bethanie out, but it cost her family a lot more, her mother "Bethanie lost four years of her life, she lost the rest of her childhood, and I've lost my life savings," she said.
    https://www.facebook.com/BelieveInBethanie/
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-4...mtf2JNlxWIDXvMgzHXolpWpfPNsEmYxDWsmTzs-M_25go

We don't need a name or full facts we just want to know how to keep our kids safe. We end up doing harm because we are not supported and demonised. We may not have the medical knowledge and bark up a few wrong trees, just like science. But these marks are on a lot of our kids with ME and they are not normal? upload_2019-3-12_11-33-33.png

14. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alan Stanton is on the NICE guideline development group - appallingly - despite his previous GMC complaint related to one of the cases mentioned above and his continued publishing of how to force treatment on children who don't consent - including 17 and 18 year olds - and how to remove their parents from the decision making process.

The Story of B told by Carol Monaghan in the last ME debate was heart breaking.

Also a reminder that the adult patient equivalent is to accuse the severely ill patient of self-neglect and morph that into a mental health condition to force sectioning and force inappropriate treatment - as happened in Sophia Mirza's case. This can result from Adult Social Care - who are supposed to be helping and providing the care - kicking off a self neglect and psychological route.

JaneL, Inara, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  15. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

By the 25% ME Group on preventing unnecessary sectioning in ME patients - KNOWLEDGE IN THE HOPE OF PROTECTING M.E. SUFFERERS FROM UNNECESSARY SECTIONING

Re: Fightback
    They have insisted on "premium" membership which is supposed to be voluntary before helping people and also badly let down some people I know. They also guerrilla market themselves online by recommending themselves to patients. Wouldn't go near them.

I believe several ME charities offer case workers. I wouldn't trust a non-ME charity to be able to understand the risk of inpatient care or things like environmental issues.

16. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think he gives a good description. Doctors should listen and think about it.

Daisybell and daftasabrush like this.
  17. Tilly

Had the GP out to him and he went through the motions of taking his temperature etc you could see that he was not going to be convinced that he could do something for my son. The marks he just shrugged at. He said about Psychological involvement and said this did not mean it was all in his head.

I explained that was his first line of treatment, but they did not pick up on the celiac at all and we had to change hospital after I was being accused of making my child sick.

They have now rolled out Integrated Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) in my area so he will now be known and Medically Unexplained and this is the new buzzword that parents are hearing. It means you have to see your own doctor and if they are clueless you don't get treatment and are treated with disrespect as far as I can tell.

Patients are tracked for wasting GPs time I think Gps should be monitored as to how often they miss a diagnosis. If that was done they could then target areas of where they are getting it wrong and strengthen up their lack of knowledge.

Amw66, rvallee, NelliePledge and 4 others like this.
  18. Tilly

What is "premium" membership?

That is a worry if parents have been let down.

I have never been offered a case worker.Acton for ME just filter you through to Bath. I have 101 things to say about that.

We need an ability to be able to complain about the treatment we receive and the missed diagnosis that our children receive along with false accusations that we have faced. Until that happens going to the doctor or AE is dangerous for our child's health.

Amw66, Snowdrop, JaneL and 7 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

we're all ears!

Amw66, JaneL, NelliePledge and 5 others like this.
  20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mum on closed forum who went to AYME/AfME when school created problems. Her daughter had a diagnosis.FII accusation.
    Advice was to follow EC protocol, didn t accept it wasn' t working. Tymes Trust intervened on family' s behalf .