1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

O'Dowd-Crawley early intervention study

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JohnTheJack, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

I think that is a good idea and one I'd be interested in pursuing. I think it could include a discussion of the file-drawer effect in general and on ME research, and something on access to data.

See update below.

2. JohnTheJack

I have received an update and they are going to refer the matter to the ICO because one of the responsible authorities (University of Bristol) is concerned that patients could be identified, 'as the study sample size was so small and from a relatively small geographic and temporal space including all the data points would make it possible for the data to become identifiable'.

I presume that will take up to 6 months more.

3. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And then they'll find another excuse... etc etc etc. :mad: :rolleyes:

4. JohnTheJack

Hehe. Maybe. The authority I have been dealing with has been very good. I think if the ICO clears the release, then we'll get it promptly.

5. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it is really possible to identify patients from the question: "How many hours work have you missed during the past 7 days due to health problems?" (from WPAI Qs) then I'm amazed!

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know why some assume O'Dowd has valuable expertise for patients, rather than just attracting funding? The PACE trial seems to be the closest she's come to showing she does... and that's not without its problems.

Thought this page could be of interest, announcing funding for the early intervention study: "Dr O’Dowd said: “This is very much a feasibility study but it will provide clinicians with important information around whether early intervention has positive benefits for these patients. We await the results with interest and would like to thank the Research for Patient Benefit programme for their support with our trial.”"

https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/news-media/latest-news/frenchay-lead-£250000-study-effects-early-intervention-me

There was a lot of hype for the funding of this earlier trial too, including at the BBC:

"Dr Hazel O'Dowd, project leader, believes the early stages of the new approach are already paying dividends to patients. She said: "Everyone in the scheme is absolutely delighted by the impact it is having on their lives."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1834060.stm

Null results for that one too:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17014748

All the while she'd been 'educating' others in the NHS about ME/CFS.

Even post-PACE Action for ME got her to do a webinar for GPs:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/615538045807390720

O'Dowd was involved with this hugely hyped Action for ME project that had no control group but is now apparently influencing training at the DWP: https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/news-media/l...people-chronic-fatigue-syndromeme-return-work

She shaped the BACME clinical guide being promoted by Action for ME (though the blog now seems offline?):
    https://twitter.com/user/status/628529908382347264

She was leading the 'petition' created to try to get patients to support giving more money for the services of her and her colleagues: https://www.meaction.net/2019/08/05/a-petition-cloaked-in-the-respectability-of-research/

Even more OT: I was just reading through a chapter on CFS in "An Occupational Therapist's Guide to Sleep and Sleep Problems"edited by Andrew Green, Cary Brown.
    They thank O'Dowd for reading through and commenting on their chapter - it promoting PACE treatment guides and full of stuff like "Recovery from CFS/ME requires goals that evinsage a health life (Prins et al. 2006)."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vqgQBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA324&lpg=PA324&dq=Hazel+O'Dowd+PACE+trial&source=bl&ots=OA8lyb1_1q&sig=ACfU3U0Pjq_G7KlUYoUcyh_3CS5hH5P0RA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji_vfk_KfnAhUMTcAKHdgLD3IQ6AEwBnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=Hazel O'Dowd PACE trial&f=false

I'm not glad Action for ME is promoting her.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Arisoned, MSEsperanza, Joh and 9 others like this.
  7. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds like a good idea--a case study.

MSEsperanza, Nellie, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

You do realise that the tweets that support the claim that AfME are promoting her are from almost 5 years ago? Is there any more recent evidence?

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They still have documents on their website praising O'Dowd's work including her webinar for GP's from 2015.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/open-...it-for-professionals.7629/page-11#post-208874
    They used one of her colleagues, Pete Gladwell as advisor on their recently updated Pacing booklet which is still problematic:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/pacin...oklet-revised-and-updated-january-2020.13320/
    And it was O'Dowd's clinic that was central to the 'Toolkit for Professionals' that they eventually withdrew last year after pressure.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/open-...-me-about-the-toolkit-for-professionals.7629/

i think it is problematic that AfME still rely on therapists from ME clinics as their advisors on their documents.

Hutan, EzzieD, Gecko and 10 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So to summarise, two tweets from 2015, one document from 2018, one of her colleagues was a recent advisor to AfME, and a document withdrawn last year was written with/by people working at her clinic.

Sure, absolutely. What I'm trying to encourage is accuracy in any complaint we might make, not to deny that we still see issues with some of AfME's work.

11. Esther12

5 years ago isn't that long, especially if there's been a failure to apologise for the problems of the past. PACE first came out in 2011, and there now seems to be an attempt by some to act as if this is so long ago that it's foolish to care about the problems with it - I fear that acting as if there's some 'best before' date for things like this encourages people to think that they can get away with things if they just avoid acknowledging problems for as long as they can.

There was this post on a 2017 webinar earlier in this thread:

Action for ME's SEE ME project with O'Dowd still seems to be an ongoing issue too, though it looks like there was a January 2019 update after their "remarkable results" hype: https://www.actionforme.org.uk/living-with-me/managing-work/see-me-project/

MEMarge, rvallee, Cheshire and 4 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That is very disappointing to see they are still hyping the 'remarkable results' of a project that they admit was a pilot and wasn't properly researched and whatever analysis there was on the results has never been published.

EzzieD, 2kidswithME, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  13. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is the thing - I wouldn't hold my breath for an apology, but unless the person in question has demonstrated that they have changed their minds and learned from past mistakes & ensured that, where appropriate, corrections have been issued then I think it's fair to assume nothing has changed.

Even if the material was written years ago, if it's still being used to inform and influence those making decisions about and treating ME patients then it's still as relevant today as it was years ago.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It is when you phrase something as currently happening.

And at no point have I suggested that there is 'best before' date, again making my point about lack of accuracy of complaints.

MEMarge likes this.
  15. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I very much doubt that they would grant the necessary permission for us to write it up and submit it to a journal. The onus to do so really is on them. It's their data - and only they can make the necessary guarantees about it as a published trial. However, I don't think there is anything to stop anyone commenting on the results they've posted, is there? (Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

To me it seems to confirm that early intervention with exercise therapy is dangerous - and that rest, at least in the early stages of illness, is crucial. But I would say that, wouldn't I! It would mean so much more if they were the ones who published it.

16. Esther12

I'm not sure I understand your point then. Are you saying that I was inaccurate about something?

Past endorsements can still serve as current promotion if they're not actively retracted.

The SEE ME project they did with O'Dowd seems like it's still on ongoing concern. On the page I linked to above it said "The updated version will be shared here as soon as we are able to do so."

I don't know exactly what is happening in Action for ME's offices right this very instance, but Action for ME's current page on treatments still promotes the BACME guides O'Dowd was blogging about for them:

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/health-and-care-professionals/primary-care/treatment-and-management/

17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, obviously that's because we are magical beings not bound by time and space. After all, most of us are sick because we are absolutely convinced of it because we learned about this dreaded disease called ME many years after being sick. We trenscend all reality like that, even have the ability to be physically deconditioned, a process that takes weeks, even months, of complete bed rest, in a matter of minutes, then reconditioned and back again in a matter of minutes!

We are trolls, after all, magical beings that can be simultaneously too sick to use the Internet, too frail to wear a fitness tracker, but clearly well enough to engage in aerobic physical activity.

We're just like that. We will find those people and... do things... of some kind? I guess that becomes a matter of the dog catching the car because I have no idea what we would even do with that information anyway. Invite them here to talk? I guess that's just about it.

18. large donner

large donner Guest

Au contraire.......JOHN SMITH!!!! :emoji_angry:

Invisible Woman likes this.
  19. JohnTheJack

A further update.

I have been dealing with one authority and the point of contact there has been really helpful and thanked me for bringing the lack of publication to their attention. It seems that UoB has joint authority and is the one saying that there needs to be guidance from the ICO. In asking for this guidance the UoB quoted an ICO decision saying that due to the 'relatively small geographic and temporal space', results from a paediatric trial could not be released. I asked which decision that was and, as I rather suspected, it was... the decision for the SMILE trial, the decision that was overturned on appeal by, hmm, me.

In any case, the guidance should be received within 14 days, so not as bad as I first thought.

Arisoned, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 18 others like this.
  20. JohnTheJack

Once the data have been released, I don't see why we would need to get permission. The reanalysis of PACE was done, presumably, without permission.

Arisoned, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 11 others like this.