NIH: Accelerating Research on ME/CFS meeting, 4th and 5th April 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was this interesting bit about the intramural study with Brian Wallit. He reported only 3 out of 22 ME/CFS being excluded because they found another, rare disorder. One patient had rare cancer, one atypical myositis, and one parkinsonism.

But then he showed that the healthy controls had a similar amount of exclusions. People weren't as healthy as they thought they were. Unfortunately, I don't have the slide but I think they found things like early cancer and signs of Alzheimer.

So if these figures are correct, then the report of many ME/CFS patients who turn out to have a rare disorder should be taken with a grain of salt. Instead of ME/CFS being a label for many undiagnosed rare disorders, these figures suggest the NIH researchers are simply really good at finding health problems - they even find them in patients who think they are healthy!

Also: the short illness duration (max 5 years) might increase the chance of finding an illness other than ME/CFS. Wallit mentioned that the patient with rare cancer has passed away. So these figures might not apply to patients with longer illness duration.

MEMarge, Dolphin, Sid and 17 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't watch but a quick search says this
    Luteolin is found in many foods.
    Quercetin is also found in many vegetables. Its absorption is poor but EMIQ is a form which has a very high absorption rate. I tried a tablet, had no effect on me, i actually have a dozen tablets kicking around, long story, perhaps taking it for a couple weeks will do something noticeable?
    Rutin if its only helping absorption of Quercetin then i would go with EMIQ. If its absorbed itself and does something then thats interesting though its also found in many foods including vegetables.

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  3. Alvin

Crocodile tears :emoji_face_palm:

4. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Dr. Collins: Transcript of Remarks on April 5, 2019
    by Jennie Spotila

Dr. Francis Collins addressed the Accelerating Research in ME/CFS meeting for ten minutes this morning. This is my best effort at a transcript of those comments.

Thank you, Walter. I’m really glad to be able to be here for at least a few minutes to address this distinguished group at what I think is a real milestone in our efforts to understand the cause and ultimately define preventions and cures for ME/CFS. I hope you have heard in that brief introduction from Walter, but I’ll tell you myself, how deeply committed I am to trying to find answers in this circumstance. ....."
    http://occupyme.net/2019/04/05/dr-collins-transcript-of-remarks-on-april-5-2019/

Binkie4, ahimsa, Sly Saint and 13 others like this.
  5. Dancer

Dancer Established Member (Voting Rights)

ME/CFS patients differences in butyrate (not sure I'm posting this slide correctly, so I'm hoping interested folks can see it.) Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.56.10 AM.png

Simone, Simon M, mariovitali and 3 others like this.
  6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Terrific program and thank you so much for finding schedule/presenters.

7. shak8

Might have to go back to uni for what, 10 years?

8. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder why Walitt excluded the post Lyme control group data when comparing results.

Amw66 likes this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that David or the presenter?

10. shak8

I'm sorry, I meant my going back to uni for probably 20 years.

11. duncan

Interesting that both Natelson and Schutzer were in the audience and asking questions. Natelson, I get why he'd be there. Schutzer, not so much.

12. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Remind me, who is Schutzer?

13. Dancer

Fascinating talk right now about mitochondria fusion/fission activity. Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.29.41 PM.png

Kitty, Sly Saint, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Bhupesh Prusty, https://solvecfs.org/dr-bhupesh-prusty/, presenting right now, seems to have evidence for the "something in the blood" concept but he doesn't know, yet, what it is. A UK researcher has also told me that he believes that he has found evidence for that as well (that is as much as I know at the moment).

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 18.30.36.png

15. ME/CFS Skeptic

Interesting. Prusti is reporting reversible serum-induced mitochondrial alterations - sounds similar to what Ron Davis has reported.

EDIT: Seems like @Dancer and @Andy were thinking the same thing.

16. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, it might have been nice to see more than the odd minute at a time tho - kept cutting out.

So who's up for twice hourly dialysis?

17. Dancer

Ron Davis up next! :)

Alvin likes this.
  18. Alvin

I am not watching but this reminds me of the nanoneedle signal from the blood by Dr Davis.

rvallee likes this.
  19. duncan

Steven Schutzer was one of the Lyme contingent of the collaborative effort involving Natelson (ME/CFS) and Fallon(Lyme) and Coyle(Lyme) that resulted in this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044169/

Starlight and Wonko like this.
  20. ME/CFS Skeptic