News from the USA, United States of America

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Andy, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only those who follow experts and ER doctors on X understand what is really occurring daily in hospitals and advising ppl to get their updated vaccines and wear a N95 mask.

Only in Canada do news channels tell us not to go the ER b/c they're filled to 200% capacity and patients are being stored in janitor closet b/c there is nowhere to put them Wait times are over 17 hrs and yet no one wears a mask.

It's surreal.

Kitty, MEMarge, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, MEMarge, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  3. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maat, Binkie4, John Mac and 13 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Good article, well done.

Binkie4, Solstice, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. Dakota15

Also not sure if mentioned elsewhere or mods feel free to move, but there is a US. Senate Hearing on Long COVID next week, that will be live-streamed

The HELP Committee in the US Senate will be holding a "Addressing Long COVID: Advancing Research and Improving Patient Care" hearing next Thursday, Jan. 18th.

https://www.help.senate.gov/hearing...advancing-research-and-improving-patient-care

**Date:** Thursday, January 18th, 2024

**Time:** 10:00am

6. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Binkie4, rvallee, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post from Canada
    Previous post explains it

created this Long COVID game for my classes (reproduced here in a Twitter thread). I found it incredibly effective at illustrating the cumulative risk of Long COVID.

I then provided every student with an N95 respirator. All my students now mask, >90% with an N95.
    Excellent thread , may be useful for some
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1746193597941092831

rvallee likes this.
  8. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is absolutely horrendously bad epidemiological modelling for people who don't understand any basic mathematics. Apply this principle to any virus and humans would have been extinct centuries ago, but of course they aren't because this model is absolute crap (hard to even call it a model). Alternatively if such models applied every single pyramid scheme would have taken over the world by now (or if humans don’t stop farting there soon won’t be any air to breathe anymore as it will have all been replaced). If you compare this model to real world data you will immediately see that it is junk.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    alktipping likes this.
  9. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This meeting is happening now.

It started a couple hours ago but you can either view it live or move the cursor to see older parts of the livestream.

10. ahimsa

I'm wondering whether we need a new thread to discuss what's being said in this senate hearing?

At some point - maybe after the transcript is posted and folks get a chance to watch some or all of the video - I'm sure folks will want to discuss what has been said.

alktipping, Binkie4, Solstice and 2 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There really is: https://www.s4me.info/threads/1-18-...lth-labor-education-pensions-committee.36940/. I should have started one announcing it so that people would know in advance. Ah well.

alktipping, RedFox, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  12. rvallee

The US Census bureau conducts regular surveys of various population data, and they have included questions about the long-term impacts of Long Covid. The data appear roughly in line with what Statistics Canada has reported, although a bit higher.

Censuses are probably the best method for this kind of data. An even better method would be systematic recording and analysis by health care systems, but they're pretty much all refusing to do that, so out of necessity, this is the best method we have. We will know better as countries conduct their full censuses, usually every 10 years, where the entire population is surveyed rather than a sampling of it. And whether they include questions about it, which is a political decision. Although censuses have some protections from shenanigans, are usually mandated by law, and are very important sources of data.

The data are about any Long Covid, not current Long Covid, and no doubt include a bunch of people who suffer health issues for other reasons, given the high rates of "medically unexplained symptoms". But this is a pretty staggering level of illness, and a high rate of impairment in activities of daily living.

Nearly 1 in 4 American Adults Who Get COVID-19 Suffer From Long COVID
    https://www.helpadvisor.com/community-health/long-covid-report

Key Findings
    • 24.4% of Americans ages 18 and over who have received a positive COVID-19 test or diagnosis have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 that persisted for three months or longer.
    • 34% of adults in Oklahoma who had COVID-19 have experienced long COVID, the highest rate of any state population in the U.S.
    • Long COVID has affected two out of every five adults afflicted by COVID-19 in Los Angeles and Atlanta.
    • 31% of those affected by long COVID report that the symptoms have reduced their ability to carry out daily activities.

How they defined "Post-COVID condition":

Symptoms of long COVID, also called Post-COVID Conditions (PCC), can include:
    • Fatigue
    • Fever
    • “Brain fog”
    • Shortness of breath
    • Cough
    • Chest pain
    • Heart palpitations
    • Headaches and dizziness
    • Changes in smell or taste
    • Stomach pain and diarrhea
    • Joint and muscle pain
    The data used for this report came from the U.S. Census Bureau Household Pulse Survey, specifically Week 63 (Nov 8, 2023), the most recent data available.

ahimsa, Trish, Sean and 3 others like this.
  13. rvallee

Not sure if this is new but I don't remember seeing it. The NINDS is using a platform called IdeaScale to crowdsource community input for its ME/CFS priorities.

https://ninds.ideascalegov.com/c/landing

I saw it from Elizabeth Weaver, who is on the committee and, I think, a neurologist.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1755310499997024632

MEMarge, bobbler, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  14. ahimsa

shak8, bobbler, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Watching the Biden State of the Union speech - he's just promised 12 billion for women's health research if he gets another term.

MEMarge, Binkie4, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  16. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1768071603542479325

Janet Dafoe

Joe Simitian won a spot in the general election! I know as a congressman he will help us with ME/CFS. Now we need to get him elected in November!(he is running for Anna issues seat. She is retiring). He knows us and wants to help. P.S. That’s me in the photo. The gray haired head

Solstice and Sean like this.
  17. Dakota15

Sharing one of the lead stories on our evening news tonight in Minneapolis, MN. This is the third ME / LC feature this reporter and station has spotlighted since December. Some of you may also be familiar with Dr. Ruby Tam or ME/CFS Clinic Minnesota.

KSTP News (ABC Affiliate): 'Minnesota’s first ME/CFS doctor on a mission to expand care to ‘everybody who has the disease’’

''It’s a debilitating disease associated with profound exhaustion, and it’s recently become intertwined with long COVID.'

‘...I owe everybody who has the disease a responsibility to get the care they need to them, either myself or educate their local providers and practitioners to help get them better.”

For more discussion of Dr Tam's service, see here:
    USA Minnesota - Dr Tam

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2024
    wingate, rvallee, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  19. Dakota15

Mods, feel free to move to most applicable:

MedPage Today: 'Monica Bertagnolli: U.S. 'Ready' for Next Pandemic Threat’

Faust: And in terms of long COVID, everyone always asks about this, there's a lot of funding. Where do you see this headed in the next few years?

Bertagnolli: It's a terrible, terrible condition. Post-infectious, chronic post-infectious syndromes have been around as long as there've been viruses in humans and it is a really, really terrible affliction when someone develops one of these conditions. COVID has introduced a whole new level of this in our society. The fundamental biology that's been conducted by the long COVID research team is really fascinating but also sobering. The agent can live for a long time in tissues. It can surround nerve cells, probably likely one of the ways that it produces some of its terrible symptoms such as the dysautonomia. And we have no effective way of eradicating it. Not yet.

We see evidence of persistent live virus in humans in various tissue reservoirs, including surrounding nerves, the brain, the GI [gastrointestinal] tract, to the lung.

Our emerging data shows that the virus can persist into tissues in the long term, and I think that's really critical because it does help us think about possible ways to combat it, one being better antivirals. I think there's a lot of focus on developing new antivirals as a possible way of preventing long COVID, and the other might be more aggressive treatment with antiviral therapy upon initial diagnosis.

20. Dakota15

Sharing here.

Medscape
    : "4 Years In, a Sobering Look at Long COVID Progress"

"Still, others like Al-Aly and Putrino felt that the initiative isn't moving fast enough. Al-Aly said that the NIH needs to "get its act together" and do more for long COVID.”

"We did trials for COVID-19 vaccines at warp speed, but we're doing trials for long COVID at a snail's pace," he said.

"Al-Aly is concerned about the chronic nature of the disease and how it affects patients down the line. His large-scale study published last month in the journal Science looked specifically at chronic fatigue syndrome triggered by the infection and its long-term impact on patients.”

RedFox, MEMarge, oldtimer and 8 others like this.