1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Scandinavia

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Kalliope, Nov 2, 2017.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not specifically ME, but relevant to pwME. Opinion piece on the right to cognitive and communication aids.

Rätten till kognitions- och kommunikationshjälpmedel måste säkerställas
    https://www.altinget.se/omsorg/arti...-kommunikationshjalpmedel-maaste-sakerstallas

RedFox, Sean, Kalliope and 3 others like this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BT is one of the larger Danish tabloids. Over the past few months they've been running a series of articles featuring the plight of pwME in Denmark (links to the other articles at the link).

A bit heavy on the psych vs bio argument, which I'm not generally a fan of, but I can see how it would feel highly relevant to a pwME threatened with being committed to a psychiatric hospital.
    https://www.bt.dk/samfund/julies-laege-truer-med-tvangsindlaeggelse-han-tror-ikke-paa-sygdommen

https://www-bt-dk.translate.goog/sa...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rakel fears for her sons’ health, after emergency alerts on mobile phones were introduced – Dagsavisen

https://norway.postsen.com/trends/1...bile-phones-were-introduced-–-Dagsavisen.html

4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Norwegian public broadcaster NRK writes about Iselin who suffers from severe ME and receives help by an assistant who makes her food and clean her place. They had made plans for which days the assistant should come during the Easter and had gotten approval for this. But suddenly the municipality changed its mind and decided Iselin would not get assistance after all during the holiday, with less than 24 hours notice.

This led to a lot of sudden administration work for Iselin and she says she'll be bed bound now for the Easter. She believes the reason for the decision is the extra pay and expenses for help during holidays. Schei from the Norwegian ME Association comments and says if a person is sick, then that person is just as sick also during holidays.

NRK ME-syke Iselin får ikke hjelp på helligdager - blir sengeliggende i påsken
    google translation: Iselin, who suffers from ME, doesn't get help on public holidays - becomes bedridden during Easter

Marit @memhj, inox, Solstice and 8 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Opinion piece from 17 year old Dina Holst-Larsen whose mother has severe ME. She describes very well the lack of support both to her mother but also to the rest of the family, who are suffering as well.

Her uncle was diagnosed with cancer, and she compares the help and support he has been given with what is given to ME patients and their families.

She urges the Norwegian health care system to open it's eyes and get moving!

TV2 Jeg kunne ønske mamma hadde en dødelig sykdom
    google translation: I wish mummy had a deadly disease

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for Dina and her mum. Dina has done a brilliant article.

7. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Not in the news, but a friend of mine told me of another friend they have with ME that "nearly died because instead of getting help in the home they [the muncipality] wanted to have them institutionalized". :(

Marit @memhj, Wyva, Solstice and 7 others like this.
  8. mango

:broken_heart::cry:

9. mango

10. mango

Karin Thunberg: Jag minns hennes vrede över okunskapen
    https://www.svd.se/a/jlgAkn/karin-thunberg-ingen-kan-forneka-postcovid-och-me-sjuka
    ETA Karin Alvtegen Facebook post about the article:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"No one can be so stupid as to say that ME and post-covid do not exist."

It isn't stupidity that is driving the denial.

12. mango

Utförsäkrade uppmanas gå samman mot Försäkringskassan
    https://www.dagensarena.se/innehall/utforsakrade-uppmanas-ga-samman-mot-forsakringskassan/
    :thumbup:

In the text above I have translated the Swedish term "utförsäkrad" as "having ones benefits withdrawn after the 180-day limit". Is there a better English word for it?

Exhaustion disorder is the diagnostic name for burnout in Sweden. It is a psychiatric diagnosis, and it is separate from ME/CFS.

Re: "many become bedridden for several days" after AFU. I personally know several pwME who suffered major permanent deterioration after AFU, and their benefits were still withdrawn.

Peter Trewhitt, MEMarge, Sean and 4 others like this.
  13. mango

More about this, an article in the journal of the Swedish Medical Association:

Patienter går samman för att kräva skadestånd av Försäkringskassan
    https://lakartidningen.se/aktuellt/...or-att-krava-skadestand-av-forsakringskassan/

14. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Long-term disability?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  15. mango

Thanks, yes it has to do with long-term disability.

"Utförsäkrad" literally means "out insured". It refers to the 180-day rule that was first introduced in 2008.

(During the first 90 days, you are entitled to sickness benefit if you are considered unable to do your normal work. After 90 days, you are entitled to sickness benefit if you are considered unable to do your normal work or any other work that your employer can offer you.)

After 180 days you are only entitled to sickness benefit if you are considered unable to work in any position at all on the so called common employment market (including hypothetical, imaginary jobs that don't exist in reality...). This assessment is done with no regard for your age, education, geographical location etc.

In other words, it's when the Swedish Social Insurance Agency decides that you are fit for work and withdraws your sickness benefit, regardless of your actual state of health and functional ability, and regardless of what your doctors' certificates say...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  16. NelliePledge

Eligibility has expired.

Peter Trewhitt, mango and Kalliope like this.
  17. mango

I like that! Thank you :)

Andy and NelliePledge like this.
  18. mango

(Not specifically ME, but relevant to pwME.)

The first ever official Swedish guideline for home health- and medical care has been published by The National Board of Health and Welfare.

Hälso- och sjukvård i hemmet – personcentrerad vård och rehabilitering
    https://www.socialstyrelsen.se/kuns...d-och-nara-vard/halso--och-sjukvard-i-hemmet/

Peter Trewhitt, Andy and Kalliope like this.
  19. mango

(Not ME) Swedish icehockey player Lukas Bengtsson talks openly about living with POTS (was very ill for a year but better now, needs compression garments; has a great team helping him through physiotherapy, chiropractic and naprapathic medicine; needs extra time for recovery and rest, etc). :thumbsup:

Lukas Bengtsson berättar om sjukdomen som kunde ha kostat honom drömmen

Peter Trewhitt, Sean, Andy and 3 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

Kristian Borg sniffing a faint aroma of coffee on waking

Peter Trewhitt and rvallee like this.