1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Scandinavia

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Kalliope, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That seemed odd to me too. How and why would a patient 'activist' hack into his e-mail to send those messages?

2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

No case to answer unless he provides evidence. Just more stigmatisation of ME sufferers.

Invisible Woman, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Swedish newspaper Expressen had yesterday an article about 27 year old Sofia who suffers from Ehler-Danlos syndrome and ME, but wasn't correctly diagnosed until she moved to Stockholm.

She talks about a life with a lot of pain and wrong treatments until she finally met a doctor who gave her a thorough assessment.

- Just coming into the clinic was such a relief. There was no one laughing, wincing or trying to push me down. They lamented and said I was not alone. It's such an amazing feeling to be believed and listened to.

Expressen: Sofia fick sin EDS-diagnos efter 27 år
    google translation: Sofie received a EDS diagnosis after 27 years

4. Kalliope

Prof. Ola D. Saugstad has been a guest in a podcast about parenting.

The result is a good and informative podcast episode on ME. He talked about what ME is, its symptoms and about PEM.
    He went briefly thought the history, different definitions of ME and how that can lead to different research results.
    He emphasised the importance of rest and activity adaptation and that health care workers, family and friends must understand and respect the patient's limits.

The result is a podcast episode of 39 minutes providing a really good introduction to ME.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6OEOiLDC5A8r8eyg8SMaLs?si=lRfoTWNXQ1imqRbfbCDhwQ

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Is there a way of accessing this other than Spotify, which I'm not signed up to? And what language is the podcast in?

Atle and Kalliope like this.
  6. Kalliope

According to the Podcast's website it's also available in iTunes, CastBox and Acast besides Spotify. But I think for now the episode has only been released on Spotify. It's in Norwegian only, I'm afraid..

7. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Found it on iTunes by searching for "foreldrerådet".

8. Kalliope

Good opinion piece in a medical newspaper by Sigmund Olafsen, PhD - adviser for master degrees in acoustics and public health.

Lack of data is probably an important reason for lack of objectivity in the ME debate. Another challenge is that studies of cognitive techniques have used, in part, very "creative" techniques in the statistical analysis, where published results do not match what patients and relatives experience.

Utfordringene i ME-debatten
    google translate: The challenges in the ME debate

Anna H, Atle, andypants and 10 others like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the quote in @Kalliope 's post above

Very creative techniques are the least of it, we know from PACE that they deliberately sought to avoid collecting meaningful data on harms. Then, because there was no data on harms, encouraged the assumption the treatments are safe and cannot harm. A practice that continues in many UK CFS clinics today & I daresay clinics in other countries follow the same path.

Hard to see it as anything other than fraud really.

Anna H, Atle, Snowdrop and 4 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brutal. And fair. We do not fight. We are being brutalized. We do none of the fighting, only the suffering. This is a war on US. Waged by people whose aims are harmful to us.

alktipping, sebaaa, Anna H and 6 others like this.
  11. Kalliope

The Norwegian ME Association has a guest blog from father to a son who suffers from ME. He tells how he regrets following prof Wyller's advice on trying Lightning Process as treatment. The father is a therapist himself with additional education in cognitive theory and thought LP was the same as cognitive therapy. He joined his son on the LP course and describes it as a frightening experience.

We have made many mistakes as parents - because we want to help. Sending him on LP course is one of the biggest mistakes that has given me a lot of bad conscience and guilt. Unfortunately I feel that exposing my child to LP is a kind of abuse.

Min erfaring med LP
    google translation: My experience with LP

12. Kalliope

Nina E. Steinkopf has taken a further look into rulings in the National Insurance Court in Norway regarding benefits for patients with ME.
    It's heart breaking to read these rulings. about how ill the patients are and about everything they've tried, yet the court believes more treatment, as CBT, must be tried even though the patients has full support from their doctors that they're not able to work.

Avslag i Trygderetten på feil grunnlag
    google translation: Refusal in Social Security on the wrong ground

13. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://melivet.com/2020/06/17/avslag-i-trygderetten-pa-feil-grunnlag-1/

@Hilda Bastian if you can please also read this article on how patients are told they must undergo CBT/GET to obtain a disability pension. The argument is that that these can reverse disability and/or restore ability to work and neither of these claims are supported by credible evidence.

There's also another problem, not limited to Scandinavia, where patients may be forced to drop out of CBT/GET treatment because it makes them worse. It then becomes easy for disability assessors to refuse them disability pension on the grounds that the treatment was proven to be safe (eg. in the PACE trial) and the patient made no serious effort to get better. Since CBT/GET was created by people with links to the private health insurance industry, one wonders whether that was intended to be so.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  14. Hilda Bastian

Hilda Bastian Guest Guest

Thanks - will read it.

15. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone heard about this "CBT for CFS" study at NTNU? https://app.cristin.no/projects/show.jsf?id=2063494

English translation of the pop sciency summary:
    I found this one: "Is cognitive behavior therapy a good treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome?" that might be the same project. It says they've published a paper on neuropsychological dysfunction in CFS/ME patients and that the results for the CBT study has been sent in but not published yet (2019). It seems the outcomes are SF-36 scores and CFQ, there's also a mention of following the Chalder/King's college approach and mention of a professor in psychology from Kings College.

Legend and MSEsperanza like this.
  16. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn't sound good. There a couple of forum threads about research papers co-authored by prosjektleder Egil Andreas Fors, e.g. the one on neuropsychological dysfunction in CFS/ME here.

List of Publications:
    https://www.ntnu.edu/employees/egil.a.fors

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    sebaaa and Legend like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anna H, sebaaa, mango and 3 others like this.
  18. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

Haha. :rofl: Funny, I liked it. :woot:
    But a scary true story behind this gallows humor.

Anna H, MEMarge, mango and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You couldn't make it up.

Google translation of the captions for the non-scandies:

00:00 - 00: 05So we ask them to sign. Right here. Thanks, you won't get it back.

00:05 - 00: 07This is going to be so good! Think positive. You "do" ME.

00:07 - 00:10 "How much does this cost?" Why do you ask?

00:11 - 00:16 "No, I do not have much savings because of the situation ..". Sell your car?

00:17 - 00:21 "Yes if I get well then it's well worth it."

00:21 - 00:24 "She sold"

00:29 - 00:31 "She sold!"

00:31 - 00: 34 On the "course" we are in a circle and trampling on sheets

00:38 - 00: 40 That's all!

00:41 - 00: 47 I remember one in the group who was very critical, and raised my hand all the time to be skeptical ...

00:47 - 00: 50The participant asked "why does it help to ignore the symptoms?". "Is it based on research?"

00:50 - 00: 56I answered "of course", but it's not!

00:58 - 00: 59But Norwegian newspapers

00:59 - 01: 01 They believe in us!

01:04 - 01: 06 We can send them anything!

01:06 - 01: 08And they're advertising the LP!

01:13 - 01: 14 That's true!

01:14 - 01: 16 I've gotten so damn rich with those idiots

01:16 - 01: 20VG and Dagbladet ..

01:21 - 01: 27 I just send them piss and they go right on! "Studies" we have made ourselves!

01:35 - 01: 36We take $ 17,000 for each

01:36 - 01: 39And we have no clue, at all

01:41 - 01: 44 They say "it doesn't work, I'm much worse"

01:44 - 01:47 "Can I get the money back? Are there any rules about this?"

01:47 - 01: 49Have them empty pockets ..

01:50 - 01: 53I say "you haven't tried hard enough"

01:54 - 01:56 "Try again"

01:56 - 01:58 "Only 17 000kr"

01:58 - 02: 02And those who criticize us are called .... "activists"

02:05 - 02: 07 That's true!

02:10 - 02: 11Of Vg

02:11 - 02: 13And Dagbladet!

02:15 - 02: 17 I have a buddy scientist in Norway

02:17 - 02: 20 Who lives by researching this patient group and he laughs all the way to the bank!

02:21 - 02: 28Last now, he got millions to investigate if music can cure ME.We all knew it wouldn't show anything, but Dagbladet ...

02:29 - 02: 30Do they just read the abstract?

02:30 - 02: 32 They believe everything he says!

02:36 - 02: 39The "cured" took fewer steps

02:40 - 02: 42And the control group ...

02:50 - 02: 55 But it's so dangerous it worked for PACE

02:56 - 02: 58 Was there no real effect there either?

02:58 - 03: 04No you could have poorer functioning at the start of the study than at the end of the study..On questionnaires

03:04 - 03: 09 And still be considered cured ..

03:09 - 03: 11 But the magazines don't understand anything

03:16 - 03: 20 Want a new job?

03:23 - 03: 26You can make a millionaire on this!

03:31 - 03: 36And now we're going to "research" the LP too, it's golden times!

Anna H, TiredSam, sebaaa and 13 others like this.
  20. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Anna H, Kalliope, Andy and 2 others like this.