1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New poor Guardian article "ME and the perils of internet activism" 28th July 2019

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by Esther12, Jul 28, 2019.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a good summary of the extent of Sharpe and Wessely's bullying:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1155509391929593857

This is being "silenced" by people who literally cannot use any other medium than the Internet to protest mistreatment, often too sick to even feed themselves. Of course the advocacy is mostly on the Internet, for the same reason paraplegics don't protest on the top floor of a building with no elevators. Those are still our words and they amount to sick people begging for help.

This stuff is not normal. It's abusive to the point of obsession and the purpose is entirely spiteful and intimidating.

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The lack of mention of Robert's work infuriates me. Same with Alem. Complete erasure of people who did real good for a serious cause. And no mention of the publicly available, and easy to find, discussions that make it clear the issues with Cochrane are taken seriously on substance and have in no way been refuted.

Somehow managing to make taking a "highly detailed approach to medical papers, closely reading them to uncover any inconsistencies or potential flaws" as a bad thing is really something.

3. large donner

large donner Guest

Im not buying that either, you are just one of those former HIV campaigners. Shame on you.

Annamaria, pteropus, Simone and 7 others like this.
  4. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is excellent ; please can you send it to the guardian editor and strongly suggest that they publish it?!

5. large donner

large donner Guest

"Sharpe says that the Cochrane editor “wilted badly… under direct pressure” from activists. The editor has since retired, and Sharpe understands that his decision is to be reversed."

That is the most worrying thing about the article and if its true its clear he is inside some kind of inner circle that "gets informed of things first", in other words they manoeuvre the narrative their way and make it happen. They don't wait for decisions to change and then hear about them, they tell people they will be changed.

That's how they are always in the know first.

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. I think this must be the case. Sharpe would not put out this stuff if he was not worried but, like the Health Research Authority whitewash, this looks like a response to what he sees as another little victory - sorting out Cochrane.

It is this sort of shenanigans that I will be raising with the NICE committee.

7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It must be unusual for a new editor to take the first opportunity to lose all credibility. You would think they would like to break themselves in slowly.

8. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Cochrane has been their last line of defense for sometime so to see it challenged and even Tovey (who would normally back them) being concerned will be worrying to them. What else have they left - the continued support of the Lancet?

9. Adrian

But they may see it as keeping in with the establishment in the UK and that as important to their credibility. I often think that those pushing for 'better evidence are really anti industry rather than pro better methodology.

10. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure I would wish to push that analogy too far.

Sean likes this.
  11. Yvonne

Yvonne Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Guardian also has a long history of trivialising ME and mocking ME patients.

12. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I really don't understand why this is the case. As a generally left leaning publication it champions the underdog. We are about as underdog as you can get: poor, on benefits and with no treatment, and having to convince everyone from Doctors to relatives, and loved ones, how sick we are, time and time again.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

13. Adrian

14. Adrian

It is also a paper that is widely read at universities so perhaps stories attacking poor quality academic research don't go well with the readership.

15. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover likes this.
  16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that complaints will be viewed through a filter of bigotry at the Guardian, so would encourage anyone complaining to be very careful and cautious with the language used.

They have an editorial code here, and that seems to explain what people are able to complain about:

https://www.theguardian.com/info/2015/aug/05/the-guardians-editorial-code

edit: Sorry - just saw this was already linked to.

hinterland, ladycatlover, sb4 and 3 others like this.
  17. large donner

large donner Guest

The left love philosophy, psychiatry and psychology so they are prone to BS on such things. The left still have a hierarchy even if they are "of the people" workers at the bottom and controllers at the top who know whats best for the people in the utopia of a leftist world. Doesn't history show that ?

Doesn't the extreme left throughout the whole of history have just a bad a record as the extreme right?

When you have private run newspapers, which must happen in a democracy, not overseen by the interests of the public you have just as many problems on the left as you do on the right.

When you are high up one side of any partisan group you go to YOUR propaganda outlets to put out your truth via yours and your mates collective newsletter.

The Guardian just as any media outlet doesn't have any legal obligation to be accurate in their reporting.

Its really as simple as that.

18. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have bias and a potential COI - I am a person who'd quite like to get better, apparently this puts me in conflict with various people who, by their positions, words, and actions, are actively working to prevent me from doing so.

I would imagine most other pwME have the same bias/COI for themselves, and as most 'patient lobby groups', apart from AfME obviously, share the same aim they represent members with the same bias/COI.

I'd be interested in knowing who, or where, it is necessary to declare this to make CG happier.

Coz I'll happily do so.

If it doesn't involve payment, as I have no 'spare' money, due to the direct actions and advice of those she supports, and as long as it doesn't involve traipsing anywhere, as contrary to her, and the people she supports, stated beliefs, I have a condition/disease that prevents that on pain of symptom exacerbation.

ETA - post written as a reply to a post above which now seems to have disappeared where a tweet was quoted from CG saying we should declare our CoI's if we are calling for the BPS mob and supporters to declare theirs.

This may be the tweet - if I can figure out how to insert it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1053612177272246273

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  19. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's this combined with what @Esther12 first said, it's a very effective narrative. Internet activists disrupting the efforts of humble, well-meaning psychologists.

What a wild, entertaining article.
    I burst out laughing. How can anyone take this crap seriously? You can just tell the guy didn't even bother reading the PACE research or Tuller's blogs because he doesn't bother to address specific criticisms or counter-arguments.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes by just not allowing comments at all. Like with this story, for example.

Oxford-Brookes report ?

As objectionable and angering as Sharpe's comments are, I think he is doing more damage to himself than us.

This. :mad::mad::mad:

When due diligence rides into town, the mediocre get nervous.

That is a bald-faced lie, Prof Sharpe. Your model of ME/CFS clearly defines it as a pathological post-precipitating/onset psycho-behavioural response by the patient. Not a component of the overall disorder, but the whole thing.

And it always has.

:D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019