New NICE guideline on chronic fatigue syndrome: more ideology than science? 2022, Flottorp et al

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Kalliope, Feb 11, 2022.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My Star Trek signature quote applies perfectly to this, we do everything right and still lose. Again and again, until we win we will keep losing a lot. Lots were accomplished, but it still makes no difference. This is not our failure, the patient community is doing everything right. This is a struggle for civil rights, we are considered wrong until it is accepted otherwise. We can't make the people in power comply to reality and they can invent an alternative reality, like dismissing us vaguely as activists without a cause.

The reaction to the guidelines says it all, it is unhinged to the level of fanaticism. But then medicine shrugging off the 2015 IOM report pretty much made it clear that this is a topic in which evidence and reality are irrelevant, this is 100% about perception and decades of beliefs applied without evidence.

I think there's a decent chance that DecodeME will be very useful, but 2 years of Long Covid and still medicine is largely indifferent or hostile and continues to bury the simple truth that has been known for decades and medicine was simply derelict, entirely of their own free will. If this didn't tip the scale, it's no wonder nothing we did could.

Solstice, Missense, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No, it doesn't. The new NICE guidelines were a win. The funding of DecodeME were a win. Did they mean the entire 'battle' was won? No, of course not, it will take winning a number of individual of smaller 'battles' in order to achieve 'victory'. The publication of this article, while irritating, is just more of the same and really doesn't represent anything new - this won't cause NICE to suddenly overturn the new guideline.

Implying that no progress has been made since 2015 is unhelpful. We do have a long way to go still but we are moving in the right direction, as this article shows.

4. rvallee

So a comment is... what... almost equivalent to a random person leaving a comment on a newspaper article? This looks like something that some journals call letters?

I mean in Lancetspeak, doesn't necessarily mean the same thing, it may be a special term they use.

5. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, it’s essentially a letter, and there may well be a special term, but it’s definitely not an editorial.

Wasn’t it the ME Association twitter which was praising a pwME the other day for pushing herself through a daily half mile hike? If not, apologies to their socials team, but if so, this all seems sloppy.

6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may be a mistake, but it isn't the end of the world. The important thing is that it is something other than a peer-reviewed paper. Where would you get the peer reviewers?

Barry, alktipping, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tuller comments on Twitter:
    A whine of anguish from people confronting increasingly successful opposition to the ideological perspective they have been promoting for a long time. The arguments about patients and NICE ignoring the evidence are classic Freudian projections.

Solstice, Amw66, bobbler and 16 others like this.
  8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Let's not get overly pessimistic. The authors are feeling threatened and are having difficulty making a coherent response. That suggests the criticism was on target.

Solstice, bobbler, Michelle and 24 others like this.
  9. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think there is any need to read between the lines. If she says that she was invited (commissioned) to write the article (comment), she probably was.

eta: I used to work for The Lancet, so do have some idea of how these things work!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Solstice, bobbler, Missense and 15 others like this.
  10. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This comment's author disclosure states:
    • KGB reports "he is currently involved in the work with a review based on individual patient data that is about CFS/ME and exercise therapy.
    • HK reports he "is currently preparing a review based on individual patient data of the outcomes of CBT for CFS/ME"
    Does anyone know what that's about? I knew there had been a review of individual patient data a few years ago but thought that had stopped. Is it still ongoing? And are there two different ones?

Solstice, Missense, Michelle and 10 others like this.
  11. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The reliance on one subjective symptom"...., now where have we seen that before?

:wtf::banghead::banghead:

Solstice, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  12. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Oxford diagnostic criteria? It really is all projection in this article, isn't it? ;)

Solstice, lycaena, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  13. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Journals have different processes and names for different categories. This is clearly not an editorial written in the name of the journal. I don't know Lancet's procedure on these. just because a piece might be invited does not mean it is automatically not peer-reviewed, so best not to make assumptions. But whether it is peer-reviewed or just reviewed/edited in-house, it is fair to called it a "Lancet commentary" or "comment"--a comment that appeared in The Lancet. That is how I have referred regularly to the "Lancet comment" written by the Dutch team that ran alongside the PACE trial.

Solstice, Kirsten, cfsandmore and 9 others like this.
  14. rvallee

The authors are irrelevant, it's that the fake controversy is still hot enough that this gets published in The Lancet, while the professional associations are all throwing a fit and playing politics behind the scene to prop this ideology up, that is annoying.

But make no mistake, this is a circle jerk:

INFORMAL
    a situation in which a group of people engage in self-indulgent or self-gratifying behavior, especially by reinforcing each other's views or attitudes.
    "those award ceremonies are big circle jerks"​

[​IMG]

Basically the same (although this one is a gag):

[​IMG]

Solstice, bobbler, Medfeb and 7 others like this.
  15. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. :thumbup:

16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This seems to be a key argument that has been put around after the NICE guideline was published. I think many of the BPS proponents (and people who might regard themselves as neutral parties also) genuinely do not understand the enormous bias created by a combination of a questionnaire on 'how do you feel?', treatments that instruct that 'your assessment of how you feel is wrong', the natural desire to please a well-meaning friendly therapist, and the desire to feel that one's efforts to get better are bearing fruit.

Which is weird, because so many of these BPS proponents have had plenty of training in psychology.

We see, again and again, the characterisation of biased trials using only subjective outcomes as 'patient-centred', as being concerned with the patient's experience of their illness in a way that a trial with objective outcomes is not.

Solstice, bobbler, Daisybell and 19 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

evidence from randomised trials.2 Since then, more randomised trials

Note the lack of 'controlled' in that description, as in randomised controlled trials. Which is the whole problem.

Yes, we have come a long way in the last few years.

Though let's make sure we don't get complacent either (not saying anybody is). This is not over by a long shot. The BPSers have made it abundantly clear they are going to go down with the ship.

So be it. Sooner is better.

Solstice, Kirsten, bobbler and 13 others like this.
  18. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ICC definition encompassed this back in 2011, so not sure where "new non-validated" comes from.

See "Postexertional neuroimmune exhaustion" in https://me-pedia.org/wiki/International_Consensus_Criteria.

19. Barry

No it is not inconsistent/paradoxical. Diagnosis based on self reporting of subjective symptoms is likely significantly less prone to bias than trial outcomes are, especially when the treatments being trialled specifically operate via biasing of self reported subjective outcomes. Trials must utilise methods which minimise bias the very best that is scientifically viable, else they are worthless. Trials have the major advantage over diagnosis, that trial conditions can (and should!) be prescribed to best minimise bias; something likely not possible at the diagnosis stage.

Also, the controlled conditions of a trial provide a much more favourable framework for capturing differential objective data than at diagnosis time.

Also care needed to not conflate subjective outcomes with self-reporting of outcomes, although the two are related. If I walk a mile each day in a given time, then that is a pretty objective outcome. Providing I measure the distance and time to acceptable accuracy, then - assuming I don't actually lie - it is still objective even if I self report it. The problem would come of course if I just guess the distance and time, in which case it then becomes subjective, and would then be a self reported subjective outcome, not an objective one. But it should not be beyond the wit of trial investigators to deal with and control for such things. A diagnosing clinician will not have the luxury of such controls.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  20. Barry

Agree. What else would anyone have expected from them? I see it as a clear stamp of success for the new NICE guideline. Our worst nightmare would have been if these people were showering it with praise!

Solstice, Kirsten, cfsandmore and 3 others like this.