1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MYB orchestrates T cell exhaustion and response to checkpoint inhibition, Tsui, 2022

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Hutan, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05105-1

Abstract
    CD8+ T cells that respond to chronic viral infections or cancer are characterized by the expression of inhibitory receptors such as programmed cell death protein 1 (PD-1) and by the impaired production of cytokines. This state of restrained functionality—which is referred to as T cell exhaustion1,2—is maintained by precursors of exhausted T (TPEX) cells that express the transcription factor T cell factor 1 (TCF1), self-renew and give rise to TCF1− exhausted effector T cells3,4,5,6.

Here we show that the long-term proliferative potential, multipotency and repopulation capacity of exhausted T cells during chronic infection are selectively preserved in a small population of transcriptionally distinct CD62L+ TPEX cells. The transcription factor MYB is not only essential for the development of CD62L+ TPEX cells and maintenance of the antiviral CD8+ T cell response, but also induces functional exhaustion and thereby prevents lethal immunopathology. Furthermore, the proliferative burst in response to PD-1 checkpoint inhibition originates exclusively from CD62L+ TPEX cells and depends on MYB.

Our findings identify CD62L+ TPEX cells as a stem-like population that is central to the maintenance of long-term antiviral immunity and responsiveness to immunotherapy. Moreover, they show that MYB is a transcriptional orchestrator of two fundamental aspects of exhausted T cell responses: the downregulation of effector function and the long-term preservation of self-renewal capacity.

2. Hutan

Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, School of Medicine, Technical University of Munich (TUM), Munich, Germany

This paper is difficult for me, but it seems that the authors are saying they have discovered a new form of t-cell that helps the body live with a chronic infection without incurring damage from an anti-pathogen campaign.

I'd love this team to take a look at these cells in people with ME/CFS and Long Covid.

Perhaps these cells could be an indicator of a chronic infection, or at least of a body that thinks it has a chronic infection.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  3. Hutan

MYB
    MYB is associated with some cancers, including leukemias, lymphomas and adenoid cystic carcinoma.

MYB was mentioned in this ME/CFS transcription study.

A Split Gender Pharmacogenomic Study of Gene Expression Modules in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Reveals Putative Treatment Avenues, 2019, Jeffrey et al
    This study found the C-MYB transcription factor network was upregulated in females with ME/CFS, although MYB itself was not. (green indicates up-regulation)

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 9.47.52 pm.png
    (Just by the way, that figure from the Jeffrey paper also noted that genes associated with pathways affected in adenoid cystic carcinoma were upregulated.)

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 10.25.46 pm.png

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Pretty sure this is our thread on this, Treatment avenues in ME/CFS: A split-gender pharmacogenomic study of gene-expression modules, 2019, Jeffrey, Broderick. Klimas et al

Hutan, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.