1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Test Your Strengths and Gaps in Knowledge Authors: Nancy Klimas, MD

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    CME Information
    Target Audience and Goal Statement

This activity is intended for primary care physicians, pediatricians and other clinicians who manage patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

The goal of this activity is to assess physician knowledge of diagnosing and managing patients with ME/CFS.

Upon completion of this activity, participants will:

• Self-assess learning needs related to:
      • Evaluating patients with ME/CFS
      • Managing patients with ME/CFS
      "

wish they'd picked a better photo to 'advertise' it
    upload_2020-1-16_13-14-58.jpeg

https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/922676_sidebar3

eta:
    https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/922676_sidebar1

2. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:facepalm: UGH, yes, how insensitive. Is it reflective of the rest of the article? (I'm working, and haven't got time to read it at the moment)

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I think it's ok. Some of the questions seem a bit random and some of the treatments promoted (e.g. LDN) are debatable.

It's interesting that so many of the people doing the CME got the answer to this question wrong. It seems that the message that PEM is more than fatigue and involves flu-like symptoms isn't getting through to a significant number of people interested enough to do this CME.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 10.06.07 AM.png

Anna H, ladycatlover, ahimsa and 8 others like this.
  4. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL - I got that one wrong because I got confused about it being a false statement.

Hutan, ladycatlover, ahimsa and 2 others like this.
  5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

did this on med scape added to my cme points . although I am way to old sick to ever learn enough about medicine . I disliked the piece about sleep hygiene which I practiced for 14 years up in the mornings going to bed at the same time no devices in my bedroom and all that did was to leave me staring at the ceiling all night and then constantly struggling to stay awake in the daytime . now of course I have sleep reversal so I will start getting to sleep near midday and get up around 6pm . I think its necessary for each individual to find their own balance between time in bed or on the couch like it matters to anyone the actual time we manage to get some sleep . just wondering how many people here are members of Medscape .

Hutan, ladycatlover, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they must have removed that photo? Maybe they got complaints?

Here's a screen shot that I just took of the CME & Education page on Medscape and there is no photo for the ME/CFS item.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 10.18.26 AM.png

Sly Saint, Hutan, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  7. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, that was fun! I earned my credits even though I got most of the drug questions wrong (I know very little about possible drugs for ME and mostly discount them anyway).

I agree with @alktipping about the sleep hygiene stuff. Load of dross, that bit. My feeling is that it might be useful for general insomnia, but it's really not helpful for ME patients. Lots of us spend most of our lives in our bedrooms, so to say you can't have TV or computer in there is cruel. (I have to admit I not only have TV in bedroom, but keep it on overnight as it soothes me if/when I wake up)

Snow Leopard, Hutan, Anna H and 2 others like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The advice to prescribe a tricyclic for sleep = ewww.

I respond badly to tricyclics...

There are other questions where their 'answers' are arguably wrong, for example:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    alktipping, Hutan and Webdog like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I agree SL, I got that one 'wrong'. But I'm pretty sure I could find as much evidence for a 30% figure as the 50%.

And even if it is true that 50% of patients with ME/CFS will be diagnosed with depression, is it among the most important things that clinicians need to know? Most clinicians seeing that 50% answer will take away the message that lots of people with ME are depressed.

But a significant portion of that 50% must surely be mis-diagnoses. I'm reading Dr Hng's 'Doctor with M.E.' book at the moment - she was mis-diagnosed with depression and given two sorts of anti-depressants that harmed rather than helped.