1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-Metabolic Disease or Disturbed Homeostasis? (2018) Theoharides et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by hixxy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30076265
    http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/early/2018/08/03/jpet.118.250845 (full PDF available)

Barry, Inara, leokitten and 9 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have glanced through the paper. The authors have given a huge list of references to biomedical ME research papers, and written an outline of what they found from reading these papers, so most of their lengthy paper is a literature review.

They then come up with a hypothesis:

I gather that the lead researcher on this paper researches mast cells, so not surprisingly the hypothesis proposed gives a central role to mast cell activation. They also make some suggestions of drugs that might help if their hypothesis is correct.

I have insufficient knowledge to judge whether this hypothesis could be helpful. I wonder what our resident experts think - @Jonathan Edwards, @Simon M, @JaimeS ... ?

Barry, Cheshire, Inara and 11 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mm...

Seems a bit like inspirobot. Select sexy words at random, connect at random, hypothesis ready.

4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My first impression:

Like a lot of papers that zoom out like this, I think that they have a great deal valuable to say, but that their final conclusions may be a little hasty.

There's a book along similar lines that I highly recommend called The Stress Response of Critical Illness. It was mind-bendingly intriguing, and a lot of what you see touched on in this paper is further explicated there.

[Edit: uhhhhh NO. Inspirabot is about right. I read it thoroughly and it's pretty crap. Sorry guys.]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Barry, Inara, ScottTriGuy and 7 others like this.
  5. Pechius

Pechius Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately, you're probably right.
    Despite the fact that they obviously have reviewed much of the important literature, they have some trouble connecting the dots..
    E.g., this paragraph appears to be self-contradictory and not much better than some psychobabble we all have seen before..:

I think ME is a disease which will likely be solved by people who dedicate all or most of their time to it, and not by the ones looking at it as a side gig. Theoharides is certainly a very smart guy and I'm glad that he's looking into ME, but I also think this paper reflects the lack of attention to details and nuance. He has a lot on his plate and is printing articles like it's going out of style, so maybe that's why..

Barry, Trish, JaimeS and 1 other person like this.
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The number of errors are pretty prodigious, even down to insulting other researchers by misinterpreting the conclusions in their work!

Snow Leopard, Wonko, chrisb and 4 others like this.