1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

My experience with ME/CFS and implications: A personal narrative, 2023, Sirotiak

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Mar 13, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My experience with ME/CFS and implications: A personal narrative
    Sirotiak Z

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a chronic, debilitating health condition characterized by overwhelming fatigue and post-exertional malaise, or exacerbation of symptoms following physical, mental, or emotional exertion. ME/CFS often impacts every aspect of an individual's life, and one's new reality may be much different from the daily life experienced before the onset of the condition.

Though the long-term effects of COVID-19 have brought increased attention to chronic fatigue and related disorders, ME/CFS is still vastly understudied and frequently misunderstood. People with ME/CFS are often passed between various healthcare providers as evidence-based treatments remain scarce. These patients are sometimes sent to rehabilitation professionals, who often lack appropriate education and experience with this patient population.

This article describes the experience of a young woman and physical therapist with ME/CFS following COVID-19 infection, as well as potential implications for rehabilitation professionals and those who care for those with this condition.

PubMed | Link | PDF (Work)

Frankie, Lilas, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Beautifully written, very well put.

Frankie, Lilas, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  3. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have to disagree.
    She makes the mistake of defining ME as fatigue not PEM. She ignores LTSE, what about patients like me who experience permanent deterioration from trivial exertion? This is why I think there is an urgent need for a new diagnosis for patients like me, ME has been hijacked by fatigue enthusiasts.
    They are all considered psychosomatic by most medical professionals so it's best to avoid any association with them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. sarahtyson

sarahtyson Established Member (Voting Rights)

She is describing her own experience, so it's maybe to be expected that the text doesn't cover the full range of the way it can affect people. Its so varied I'm not how that could be captured.

Sean, RedFox, SNT Gatchaman and 5 others like this.