1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mother Jones article: Desperate Patients Are Shelling Out Thousands for a Long Covid Cure. Is It for Real?

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Lucibee, Jan 4, 2022.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be clear, I was meaning claimed success stories--we have no idea that the treatment had any impact at all

FMMM1, Lilas, Trish and 4 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was what I meant too! I've added an edit to my earlier post to clarify.

Lilas, Trish, Ash and 2 others like this.
  3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks!

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see the basis for these statements. Cytokine estimations are pretty useless in most clinical situations and I have not seen any reason to think they would be useful here.

This looks very much like re-inventing the wheel - with irrelevant tests and groundless treatments.

I don't have much time for claims of 'famous researcher who did ground-breaking work on HIV' either. For a time everyone without any original ideas went in to HIV research. Some were lucky enough to get given a meaningful project by a supervisor. There is a huge amount of hyped poor quality science around in immunology just as there is in psychiatry.

Hutan, TrixieStix, Lilas and 8 others like this.
  5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Researchers go where the money is. HIV was flooded with money. That and cancer. Now research that is funded is COVID.

Chris, cfsandmore, Trish and 2 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mediocre researchers do, certainly. Innovative researchers plough their own furrow.