1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mother Jones article: Desperate Patients Are Shelling Out Thousands for a Long Covid Cure. Is It for Real?

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Lucibee, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Desperate Patients Are Shelling Out Thousands for a Long Covid Cure. Is It for Real?
    Two doctors, their unusual treatment program, and the “wild bisons” who swear by it.
    by Kiera Butler January 3, 2022

https://www.motherjones.com/politic...ousands-for-a-long-covid-cure-is-it-for-real/

This is a very long, and concerning, article that appeared yesterday.

It discusses a topic that many here will know well: clinics capitalising on the large numbers of desperate patients, selling cures and hope where none exists (yet).

What's troubling in this case is that the clinic in question has been set up by a well-known virologist, Dr Bruce Patterson, who was a former Director of Virology at Stanford and has previously done key research into HIV pathogenesis.

2. Lucibee

The first thing I noticed after reading the article, and then looking at Patterson's twitter feed, is that most of the positive endorsements he retweets are from accounts that were only set up a couple of months ago (or resurrected (bought?) older accounts with deleted timelines) that have suspiciously few followers/followees. Not a good look!

It might turn out that he is on to something. But you don't get there by exploiting and experimenting on vulnerable patients. There is basic science that has to be done first, and it doesn't look as if he is doing that. Very sad.

And of course he is in competition with the likes of Mayo Clinic, who are still offering exercise as a therapy (allegedly).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But the article really implies that this is not the case.

4. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sharing @Lucibee I will add it to my list looks very interesting.

I don’t have the ability to read this article now, so below comments not specific to this.

It feels to me from a stand point of mostly unintentional observation just stumbling onto bits and pieces of information, that the cure industry is in a period of hyper acceleration.

Stuff that would cycle round every decade or so targeted to people with un or under treated illnesses, just jumping out from
    behind every corner now.

The landscape in creation is nightmarish.

My hope is that quietly something good is also unfolding.

Kirsten, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. Lucibee

6. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh wow. That hits hard. Sound from this like some really solid journalism?

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My M.E doctor told me this 20 years ago when I shared the new pet theory that was circulating about hypercoagulation and M.E. He told me that they are using desperate patients as their 'guinea pigs' and making money from them.

8. Lucibee

This is the problem. There may well be elements that may be true, but once-promising areas of research have been serially trashed by rogue chancers seeking to exploit them for easy cash. That no-one will go near those areas for fear of association with charlatanery is the dreadful consequence. :(

fwiw there is probably quite a lot to be discovered in the hypercoagulation research, but I don't think it will be a fix in and of itself. It's likely a downstream effect of stuff going awry far upstream.

Michelle, JoanneS, Chezboo and 9 others like this.
  9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't read it yet, but I know the reporter and she's very smart.

10. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And unfortunately, Solve ME recently hosted Patterson on a webinar. I feel this may have legitimized him to patients.

Hutan, vsou, Michelle and 16 others like this.
  11. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may be that one of the main benefits of the rise in pv illness following covid for pwME is that there will be more interest and so more scrutiny of doctors, clinics and their methods. (Which imo is a BIG deal because I feel there's a LOT of exploitation in this area. Rooting out those who exploit patients for profit would be a huge positive.)

Imo, the people who do make the big breakthroughs will not be the people who are seeking to be superheroes and all over social media but those who are just quietly, conscientiously working away. In fact, I think it's unlikely to be one small group of people but a slow accumulation of knowledge over quite a long time.

12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why wasn't Dr. Bruce Patterson who went on to a residency in Pathology (focusing on viral pathogenesis) and HIV interested in M.E years ago?

Michelle, JoanneS, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[my bold]

Hmmm ... well that would seem to bode well then :rolleyes:.

14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure they will be able to fit it within the requirements of "evidence based medicine".

15. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope the medical board that renews a doctor’s license will take a close look at Dr. Patterson.

18. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the article:

A Stanford bioethicist, Hank Greely, says
    " You’re selling a test that you’ve got no good evidence works, and then you’re using it to prescribe a drug that you’ve got no good evidence works? To me, safety and efficacy are profoundly ethical questions.” and, “The red flags are in full force on this one.”

" Bruce Patterson’s medical pedigree is impressive... he made a key discovery in HIV research... became director of clinical virology and co-director of the AIDS Research Center at Stanford... pioneering technologies and findings have contributed to advances in detection, prognosis, and treatment of patients infected with HIV,” a Stanford press release about his appointment boasted... "

Dr Patterson may have an impressive pedigree, but now he seems to have sunk into the "dark side of the force " i.e. quackery: abusing people's vulnerability for his own benefit, with his collaborater Dr. Ram Yogendra. And, it is never without risk (the article mentions the suicide of a woman perhaps following one of their "treatments"). It's sad, a lot of "déjà vu", unfortunately.

19. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solid article, I think it's pretty fair and I am glad it is out there.

I guess I am an outlier. I have paid for their test, even paid for a consult, and I am currently on maraviroc/pravastatin. I don't really think it will help me, but my evaluation of the cost/benefit of trying it out for a month made me figure I'd just go for it.

I also agree with the article -- they should absolutely not be promoting this theory as if it's the truth, or anything beyond speculation with some very preliminary data behind it.

But I also don't feel taken advantage of, not in the slightest... probably because I've been around the block a few (dozen) times and know exactly what I'm getting into? I agree, it is a problem for those with long covid who are naive to this.

p.s. I don't want to share too much since this is a public thread, but I will say that I am certainly not in the incelldx "fan group"

Hutan, Michelle, Lucibee and 11 others like this.
  20. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)