1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Menon - Mitochondrial Modifying Nutrients in Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A 16-week Open-Label Pilot Study

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Adrian, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

The way stats testing works is that you try to reject the null hypothesis (that two groups are the same) and in doing do try to show a difference between the groups. In doing this the sample size makes a difference. This is why in doing a trial a power calculation is normally done to workout the chance given an effect that the null hypothesis will be rejected. It uses the sample size, predicted effect size and the significance test level (including multitest corrections). This is used to give a minimum estimated sample size for a trial to lead to significance given the predicted effect size. Its normally required for ethical approval.

So having more patients could lead to a significant result. However, they will have done a power calculation so it would suggest that the effect is smaller than predicted (if any).

The intuition would be something like if you draw more samples from a population and see an effect you get more certainty than if you draw a smaller number. But to me significance testing is not intuitive.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Useful explanation! Do you want to join the Stats team, @Adrian? ! @Graham and I, with some others are starting to write short explanations of some aspects of the stats that appears in scientific papers to put in the library.

Inara, Skycloud, Graham and 3 others like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Technically i agree, and i do know a thing or two about statistics (i did in a previous life anyways), and suffice it to say 87 patients won't give you a 95% confidence interval :laugh:
    What i was getting at is this seems to be a ploy to make a quick buck by stacking numbers to make it so and a bad idea won't become good if multiplied, even if they can bend bigger numbers to make it look good

Trish and Inara like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I agree and if you need high numbers in a trial chances are the effect is small.

Trish likes this.
  5. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is an example of using statistics to "prove" something, by playing with numbers one can prove opposites are correct
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/p-hacking/

Inara likes this.
  6. Holinger

Holinger Established Member

Data in my case was stopped at 4 months instead of 5 because of a batch of ingredients being lightly different would legally causes trouble for the trial. The cfq scores where calculated at 4 months. Others had completed the 5 months but with a corrupted formulation for the 5th month. Hope this helps.

7. Holinger

Holinger Established Member

Hi not a problem. I do not know if it is funded or not yet but with blinding and actometres they will need government funding.