1. The latest 'News In Brief' post for w/c 6th August is available, Guest, click here to read.
    Dismiss Notice

Medscape: "New Clinical Practice Guidelines, August 2018 Edition"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by ahimsa, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw this on the Medscape website today. I think it's just a summary of recent changes posted on CDC website but I'm not sure.
    Full article (may require Medscape registration/login) - https://reference.medscape.com/viewarticle/900291_5

Indigophoton, Barry, Inara and 9 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There's quite a bit to like in this brief guideline.

I'm not sure what happened to the last paragraph though - it seems to have been cut off mid-word.

Indigophoton, Barry, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  3. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You'd think with 7 authors, someone would have noticed. ;)

Agreed it's a very nice summary. Hopefully they will fix the cut-off ending. I'd like to share this with some doctors when it's corrected.

I sent quick notes to WebMD (ETA: and Medscape) editors. If they don't respond, I will send notes to the authors.

Edit: Still no response from editorial, so I will start contacting the 7 authors one by one until I get a response.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    Lidia, Sunshine3, Barry and 4 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It starts very well, then vanishes mid word (strategies to ma...) at the crucial point of what I assume is 'strategies to manage ...'. So does it advise pacing, rest, activity management, GET??? Or is it just going to leave us with a vague 'manage symptoms' without saying how?

Barry, Inara, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  5. Webdog

Just spoke on the phone with one of the listed article authors (turns out he's an editor), Brian Feinberg. Brian said he would take care of getting it fixed and send me an email when it's done.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    Inara, Lidia, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  6. Webdog

Looks like the article has been fixed. The final sentence now reads: "Each patient’s program typically includes a combination of therapies to address symptoms, techniques to help patients cope, and strategies to manage daily activities."

Inara, Indigophoton, ahimsa and 7 others like this.