1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation and Breathing Exercises Can Sharpen Your Mind

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Indigophoton, May 11, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article, http://neurosciencenews.com/cognition-meditation-breathing-9026/amp
    Full paper available here, http://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/psyp.13091

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have tried both pranayama and meditation since developing ME and neither have improved the sharpness of my mind.

Meditation techniques can be useful to make sure the mind gets some rest.

Perhaps others fared better?

3. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to meditate twice a day before I got ill, but after I have had trouble doing it. I feel like this might be related to the change in brain waves. Now instead of spacing out and relaxing I feel like I'm drowning or falling down a black airless hole. Not pleasant.

I've tried several times to get back into it, but no luck. I miss it. Especially on days when my brain is fried and I can't read or focus on anything and meditation feels like it would be just the thing. The only time it worked for me was the three days before a heavy cold this winter, when I felt completely recovered in every way. Didn't last :emoji_shrug:

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If my mind gets any sharper i'll be considered comatose
    This obviously doesn't apply to our type of brain damage

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:rofl:
    My experience is that people who are not breathing for any sustained length of time aren't thinking well. So, breathing does seem like a good idea whenever possible.

Sorry, that's too easy. I've only superficially skimmed the paper, but I do think this is an example where the publicity 'Meditation and breathing exercises can sharpen your mind' isn't quite supported by the actual scientific findings in the paper.

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Alvin . . . do you think you have brain damage? I've had cognitive difficulties over the years but also periods of feeling back to normal as long as I don't overuse my brain. Back in 2000 I was at my worst and found out through testing that I was very deficient in Omega 3. I don't understand why I was deficient. Perhaps we have a higher demand for it. Dunno.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  7. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I certainly do, confirmed by multiple MRIs, though it seems to be the typically ME type reports, eerily similar to one of the ones posted in JenB's twitter threads a while back :(

andypants likes this.