1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medically Unexplained Symptoms and PEM (Paediatric Emergency Medicine) presentations - Dr Armstrong - 11 Jun 2020

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

London School of Paediatrics - HEE NHS UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rst1NOu1szA

(I skipped the case examples)
    youtube generated transcript:
    pt1

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    glennthefrog, Sean, Woolie and 5 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

pt2

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"what's really important
    and something that occasion gets lost in
    mus is that the symptoms the patient's
    experiencing are absolutely 100% real to
    them they are frequently distressing an
    anxiety inducing both to them their
    family and indeed the clinical team who
    treats them"

he seems to be treading on thin ice here. So, they are not real or need not be considered real by others. Whatever "real" may mean.

glennthefrog, Sean, Woolie and 4 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read an account once of a young rheumatoid arthritis patient. She was a pre teen when her symptoms started. They seemed a bit vague at first and gradually worsened.

Naturally she was distressed. She was being left behind & felt left out me her friends and classmates as she couldn't keep up.

Then she was ambushed at an outpatient appointment by therapist who sat her down and asked why she didn't want to go to school, why she was struggling to make friends.

It was the ultimate betrayal for this kid.

The cruelty of being disbelieved and the problem made worse by the very people she thought would try to help her. The additional cruelty of being accused of not wanting to do the things she so desperately did want to do.

Eventually, the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis was made and an explanation for her symptoms became clear. There was never an acknowledgement of the harm the therapist or team caused.

I wish these people would assess how many people experience the same thing as this youngster.

I wish they would assess the long term damage caused by having faith that those who are supposed to help and support you will ripped away.

Sisyphus, Lidia, MarcNotMark and 21 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why is there mention of PEM in the title when it is not discussed (as far as I can tell, too rambly to read all)? This is the exact same substance as any alternative medicine guru: null and void. I don't get it, it's entirely devoid of anything relevant to the actual needs. I would actually feel like I would be wasting my time less than this if my job were to watch actual clown shows all day.

Lot of waffling without substance. Just someone who likes to hear the sound of their voice "explaining" the "unexplained" spooky ghost sounds followed by thunder.

6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also thought it was about postexertional malaise and that it was nice that hospitalists are becoming aware of this. But the cases didn't fit ME/CFS and then he presented his psychosomatic belief system.

7. MatthiasRiem

MatthiasRiem Established Member (Voting Rights)

In this case, it seems 'PEM' abbreviates 'Paediatric Emergency Medicine'.
    Also explains the bit about keeping the patient out of the emergency room in the future...

Michelle, Trish, chrisb and 6 others like this.
  8. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sly Saint When you grab the transcript, is there an easy way to remove the time stamps, rather than deleting one by one?

9. rvallee

Hmmm. Still odd considering this very rarely presents to emergency, those kinds of symptoms are almost universally handled by GPs. Well, more like not handled but whatever this is where it doesn't happen.

Invisible Woman and alktipping like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If they were honest compassionate professionals they would openly acknowledge and apologise for these kind of mistakes, and learn from them. Without being asked or forced to.

sebaaa, rvallee, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

yes; when you bring up the transcript in upper rh corner there is another 3dot menu and it says 'toggle time stamps'

wigglethemouse likes this.
  12. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my experience that's just gaslighting when it comes to ME, they don't treat you as if your symptoms are real.

lycaena and Sean like this.
  13. rvallee

How then could it be maintained, as is repeated ad nauseam as a mantra, that no harm come from conversion disorder? Which is of course deliberate, a full accounting of the outcomes would have all of it cancelled in a heartbeat. It's a scam, you can't maintain a scam and face the truth at the same time.

So everyone lies. Most probably unwittingly. But they are licensed professionals and they lie, to themselves, to us, about us and to the world. With Enron-style creative accounting of hiding the losses and amplifying gains that are mostly an illusion. Actually Enron was small-time fraud compared to this, and far less lethal.

But the circle jerk goes on spinning. How else would Freud spin in his grave if not turned by the cyclone of hot air coming from the spit of woo?

Sean likes this.
  14. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you.