1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME Awareness Day / Week / Month, May 2021

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

A thread for article, events and anything else related to ME Awareness Day/Week/Month 2021.

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://meassociation.org.uk/2021/0...e-as-a-community-but-keep-it-smart-and-apart/

3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will still coincide with the start of DecodeME? I realise the ME awareness events take place worldwide, but in the UK it would be a good opportunity to mark the beginning of something really hopeful and positive.

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yes, DecodeME very much hopes to open recruitment early in May, as we believe that the greater awareness of ME will help raise the awareness of the study, and vice versa. However, even the best laid plans can encounter stumbling blocks, especially in a world struggling to cope with Covid, so we aren't going to guarantee it.

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From ME Advocacy Network Australia,

"Bring your creativity to the fore and help shine a light on an aspect of your life, living with ME/CFS or caring for someone with ME/CFS.

Your piece can take any form you like:

• Artwork

• Song

• Video

• Photo or photo essay

• Short story (max. 500 words, may be edited for clarity)

• Any other creative form you wish"
    https://www.meana.me/news/be-visible

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

7. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Perrier, ahimsa, petrichor and 7 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Sly Saint

very odd to find this here (on a Life coaches website):

Things to do in May
    https://happiful.com/things-to-do-in-may/

Peter Trewhitt, Perrier and Andy like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Tweet from Emerge.

"ME/CFS Awareness Week 2021 starts on Saturday 8 May! #EmergeAustralia is encouraging the #MECFS community to be seen and heard by creating a personalised missing poster and sharing it on social media. To make your own, click here! #MillionsMissing 12may.org"

As the tweet says, the website, https://12may.org/, allows you to create your own missing poster. While I applaud the effort to help pwME raise awareness, the use of this particular URL and the website not making it obviously clear that this is an Emerge project, and that all of the donation links are for Emerge only, leave me disappointed that there isn't more transparency on all of these details.

12. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The website has emerge logos and if you click the donate link, it says the donation is for Emerge Australia and has the Emerge logo

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm not denying any of that, but it's not enough for me, especially as I couldn't have told you what Emerge's logo was. While I appreciate that URL's are up for grabs by all, I would interpret the use of 12may.org, instead of perhaps 12may.org.au, as an attempt to appeal globally, and the very minimal Emerge 'branding' strongly suggests this as well. For any donations to then go solely to Emerge, whose work otherwise I'm very supportive of, does not sit right, unless perhaps they are planning to go international and are yet to announce that. I'm sure that many patients will be delighted with this site, but I'm just offering my views as someone outside of Emerge and Australia.

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

'Patient Voices' - Virtual International M.E Awareness Day Event

"..
    Award-winning ME Foggy Dog was founded by and managed by an M.E/C.F.S patient - Sally Callow. 'Hosting' this event will be challenging as Sally has limited energy. Because of her energy restrictions the event will contain a mixture of content: Sally will deliver an awareness talk, share pre-recorded interviews with fellow M.E/C.F.S patients, advocates, and charity founders from around the world, screen short films about M.E/C.F.S issues, and hold a Q & A session with attendees in the later stages of the event.

This event is for both awareness and fundraising. All proceeds (minus platform fees) will be given to Cure ME (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine) for biomedical research into the disease.
    .."

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/pati...l-me-awareness-day-event-tickets-149544097421

15. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, rvallee, Ebb Tide and 3 others like this.
  16. Sly Saint

from an email from #MEAction
    "Join us for interviews
    Throughout the day on 12th May, log on to #MEAction UK or #MEAction Scotland Facebook pages to watch interviews with researchers, health professionals, authors, MPs, people with ME and carers.

We will be featuring a range of speakers such as Ronald W Davis discussing his current research projects, Janet Dafoe talking about caring for Whitney, Dr. Nina Muirhead on her training for healthcare professionals, and Professor Chris Ponting on the latest stage of Decode ME. Plus, you will hear from MPs, authors and campaigners all supporting the #MillionsMissing and sending the message that #YouAreNotAlone.

Schedule for videos to be announced shortly."

17. Trish

From #MEAction:
    #MillionsMissing Global event 12th May
    https://www.meaction.net/event/mill...al-event/?mc_cid=85989f9519&mc_eid=83ddbd3a71

18. Trish

ahimsa and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. Trish

DecodeME

From an email:

The blog is linked and would be best discussed on the DecodeME thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/decodeme-uk-me-cfs-dna-study-underway.15604/page-27#post-342424

20. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Norwegian ME Association invites to a webinar with prof. Karl Johan Tronstad from the University in Bergen May 12th at 13.00.
    Prof. Tronstad is part the ME research team in Bergen with Fluge/Mella. He will be talking about research into energy metabolism, and how it can contribute to more knowledge about disease mechanisms in ME and to a biomarker for the disease.
    Language: Norwegian
    Duration: 1 hour

I think the talk will be made public afterwards.

Link to registration:
    https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_M4_SAwHDTyaYPSnqE45F4A?t=1620380801226