1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low temperature

Discussion in 'Endocrine: Thyroid, Adrenal, Diabetes' started by Wonko, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck @ Wonko!

Indigophoton, Inara, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck dear @Wonko. Cyber hugs and The Vibes heading your way.

Indigophoton, Inara, Squeezy and 5 others like this.
  3. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But what they do is just give you a fake thyroid hormone medicine which is horrid :grumpy: and expect you to get better and shut up about it. If it is Hashimoto's it takes ages to diagnose and not taken seriously for some reason. :cautious:Sorry to tell...

On the up side, I guess I persevered with the thyroid med and I feel it is now helping a bit. Whatever the result, I hope test helps you.

Indigophoton, Squeezy, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Just to say: I have Hashimoto's and am one of the lucky ones for whom levothyroxine works. Levothyronine (T3) makes me feel rather ill.

It is a bit of a sod but for some of us management is less of a sod than others. Mind you, that also depends on you GP......:(

One step at a time. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Indigophoton, Squeezy, erin and 4 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

T3 is liothyronine. :)

Sing, MeSci, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depending on the results I will decide on what treatment to try, most thyroid things can be bought online, I'm actually much more concerned about blood tests to calibrate treatment, especially if they need to be done in the morning. They will be a major problem if needed frequently.

I am not actually expecting my GP to do anything helpful even if it comes back with a TSH of 23, IMO it's unlikely she will acknowledge understanding many of the other test results ;)

re hashimoto's, I thought the delay was caused by them not actually testing for the right things? If, if, I get results that suggest hashimoto's then I will look up the appropriate treatment and source.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping for any thyroid problems, but I am looking for an explanation to several things, one of which is why NDT had such a profound effect on several secondary symptoms. It would be "simpler" if the tests showed something, if not, I can strike it off the list.

I'm fed up, and have been for some time, of operating in the dark, because my GP will not do any "basic" testing, I want some numbers so I can see what "might" be helpful to try and address - probably a complete waste of time, effort and money but....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Indigophoton, Skycloud, Inara and 7 others like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Which test bundle did you buy in the end, @Wonko?

8. Wonko

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Inara, erin, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Thanks @Arnie Pye ! My posts are full of typos at the moment - I got a new tablet as a present and the bl@@dy thing does the weirdest autocorrects. I'm so busy correcting those I miss my own mistakes.

Indigophoton, Squeezy, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  10. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good luck Wonko.

Indigophoton, Squeezy, erin and 4 others like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

I hope it all goes well, and tells you useful things you can either help yourself for or that you can get a doctor to help with. :hug:

Indigophoton, Inara, erin and 5 others like this.
  12. Wonko

Done, well some of it, the bit that this thread is concerned with is done, even though the BBC weather app lied to me (and probably other people) in saying it was going to be 7C all day today here, it wasn't and hasn't been so far today.

So thyroid tests blood, done and posted RMSD, GP tests blood, not done (she wanted an hba1c and I've both just had one and it's also just been christmas and I was off meds coz I was ill - no point in upsetting her lol), CBD hasn't been done as I couldn't figure out a way of doing so, and the warm home discount has been sorted and is on my meter.

So a fairly, incredibly, productive morning, unfortunate it had to be simplified, but my original aims, although sensible, weren't sensible ;) It was easier than expected, possibly coz at times people can be helpful, most of the time no, but just occasionally.....

Now the plan was to get some kip when I got back, as many hours as the cat would permit, before my sisters yearly "I'm still breathing, are you?" phone call this evening, unfortunately I didn't realise it was wednesday, and at some random point today a pharmacist is likely to try and deliver drugs, so in theory I should stay up, or at least pass out in outside clothes :(

But, according to the BBC weather app, today was the only day where the temperature might be high enough for me to go out in the next 9 days, so I went for it, and once I get past today, nothing, much, for a couple of weeks, hopefully.

I could really do with painkillers, and sleep, but if I take painkillers, then I'll fall asleep, and whomever it is that tries to deliver my painkillers might get a little pissed off with me.

so....14 working days to get the results, which might translate to 3 weeks or so.......

13. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done @Wonko for getting the tests done, so glad that it was easy and no probs. Good news about the warm home discount, finally you've sorted this too.

14 days is a very long wait for the results, but the tests you are describing is more than what I get usual. Mine is out within a week usually.

Painkillers, which ones do you take? I find paracetamols lowering my body temperature.

:asleep:

14. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think so. Or I'm abnormal, too. People always say "Oh, I hope everything comes out normal". No, I don't hope that. I feel crappy, I wanna know why; if possible I wanna know exactly why.

15. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So glad you managed to get out and get the tests done @Wonko. I have Hashimoto's, diagnosed 15 years ago. I was under treated most of the time, because doctors insist on adhering to the TSH. Idiots. So I'm off-roading it now. I'm getting my own NDT. Taking lots of vitamins and minerals to support my thyroid in utilising the hormone.

Dosing by physical response is easy enough. I'm happy to do one blood test a year.

The forum at www.tpauk.com are excellent for advice.

Thinking about your NDT response - it's been found useful in reducing auto antibody levels in Autoimmune diseases. You could test normal for Hashimoto's antibodies now because of taking it, but would still have it! My antibody levels have decreased to normal because this happens over time in Hashimoto's. But I still have the condition.

Yes, you muddied the water by self treating. But stuff the doctor. Having a clear and definitive diagnosis never helped me get adequate treatment. Because doctors are hide bound twats.

16. Wonko

I got a couple of hours sleep, I wasn't given much choice, it was that or be tortured and fail anyway (I have a great deal of experience of by body in that condition). Even the cat couldn't rouse me, she dislikes anyone but her being asleep during the day, let alone being in bed.
    Easier, than expected, lol, it was far from easy. Hostile air, cold enough to hurt but warm enough to allow me to continue, right on the borderline, combined with having to drag/bully my body, and my now confirmed reduced vision (focus, which has dropped significantly in the last week, now apparently affecting at least short and intermediate vision). My aspergers didn't prove as much of a problem as I was expecting, I think partially down to my new technique of smiling and occasionally nodding, essentially randomly, if conversations were occuring near me, and because people followed the rules.

Painkillers, that's a question, my main general use painkiller is 30/500 co-codamol, which of course does contain paracetamol, I also use gabapentin and oramorph. But, and this is where I must thank you for making me think about it, I also have morphine sulphate capsules (work but can cause a headache) and morphine sulphate pills, greens (15mg) and purples (30mg), the purples are wonderful things, unfortunately my supply is limited as I got switched off them yonks ago, so I rarely use them.

But I think I will tonight. :)

Thank you.

I stopped NDT several months ago, possibly even a year, it's difficult to be sure right now, so hopefully.......I did look up the "treatment" for hashimoto's this morning (I had a lot of time on my hands lol), it doesn't appear to differ from standard UK hypothyroid treatment, apart from being even more T4 focused, no treatment at all for a known autoantibody problem that's demonstrably damaging the body, only symptomatic, usually, mistreatment.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  17. Arnie Pye

It takes that long because of the Reverse T3 test. A small amount of the blood supplied by Wonko is centrifuged or prepared in some way, then is sent off to the US for the reverse T3 test. The company (Medichecks) usually withholds all the results until they can supply them all at once. But I think it might be possible to get the results in dribs and drabs if you wanted, @Wonko. Might be worth asking?

Sing, Indigophoton, Squeezy and 5 others like this.
  18. Wonko

I don't really do the whole "asking" thing, unfortunately, so I'll just wait.

19. Arnie Pye

You have far more patience than me! :)

20. Wonko

My thyroid appears to be okay :)

My vitamin D levels are quite low, and iron quite high, if that means anything to anyone.

So......it's all still a bit of a mystery :banghead:

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 3.01 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.20
    FREE THYROXINE 19.1 pmol/L 12.00 - 22.00
    TOTAL THYROXINE(T4) 110 nmol/L 59.00 - 154.00
    FREE T3 5.47 pmol/L 3.10 - 6.80
    REVERSE T3 21 ng/dL 10.00 - 24.00
    REVERSE T3 RATIO 16.96 15.01 - 75.00
    THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY <10.0 IU/mL 0.00 - 115.00
    THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES 10.7 IU/mL 0.00 - 34.00

HAEMATOLOGY
    Vitamins
    ACTIVE B12 94.0 pmol/L 25.10 - 165.00