1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Low-dose Naltrexone articles and experiences

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Kalliope, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes, I understand your hesitance with trying out new drugs when you are very sensitive to them.

I tried to do some research too before making a decision of trying LDN, but it seems experiences are quite divided, so it's hard to know what to do, isn't it? I do hope there will be some proper clinical trials soon!

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you find the right approach for you regarding what to try out, and what is best to avoid.

Anna H, Yessica, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  2. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, exactly.
    The experiences with LDN are very divided. I do not know what to believe. But that applies to everything regarding ME / CFS. :wtf:
    Feel free to give us an update at a later date. Good luck in the meantime :)

Yessica and Kalliope like this.
  3. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Kalliope! When LDN works effectively for an individual and they’re taking thyroid meds, apparently it may be necessary to reduce the dosage of thyroid medication as the LDN can help your thyroid gland to start producing normal levels of thyroid hormones. Just something to be aware of.

Wits_End, Yessica and Kalliope like this.
  4. Kalliope

Thanks, @hinterland - I was not aware of that. Do you know of a source for this?

Yessica likes this.
  5. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No problem. I read this in the low dose naltrexone patient information leaflet from Dickson Chemist, Glasgow. Scan attached below, hope this helps.

Low Dose Naltrexone Patient Information Leaflet page 1 300dpi black and white.jpeg Low Dose Naltrexone Patient Information Leaflet page 2 300dpi black and white.jpeg

Kalliope likes this.
  6. Kalliope

hinterland and Yessica like this.
  7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I asked for some to try, my doctor was fine with prescribing it, because it's at such a low dosage that the chance of bad side effects was negligible. It worked extremely well for me, blocking my neuropathic pains, but didn't affect any other ME symptoms. After a year or two on LDN, I no longer needed it because the neuropathic pains had stopped. The minimum effective dose I worked out for me was 2.5 mg sublingually (needed ~1/3 less that way) alternated mornings and evenings every second day. At such a low dosage, any unnoticed side-effects from it would have been dwarfed by the health benefits of the exercise I was able to do without the pain. LDN sure improved my quality of life.

Amw66, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  8. darrellpf

darrellpf Established Member (Voting Rights)

I tried NDL for several months. For many years I've had a foreearm itch that was not relieved by any medication. LDN seeemed to fix that. One the other hand, it seemed to leave me with a numbness. Eventually I just stopped taking it. For me, it is one of many medications that provides a temporary enhancement of functionality but only serves to wear one down in the longer term.

Milo likes this.
  9. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried LDN back in 2015 and it didn't do anything for me.

10. Kiristar

Kiristar Established Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Making a case for LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone)

So I've finally seen a reputable consultant and he wants to prescribe
    A b12,
    B LDN
    C aciclovir
    I nearly fainted at the private prescription quote so want to make a case for the GP. Even if I self find this first batch I can't going forward long term.

Has anyone in the UK been able to Persuade GP to prescribe and get LDN or aciclovir funded on the NHS? I'm housebound so less bothered about the b12 as can't make it to the surgery to get jabbed weekly anyway and my b12 was always comfortably in range so difficult to argue)

If so what research papers / articles were most useful has there been a LDN trial yet. I am not good at succinctly explaining the medical theory of why this is a good strategy as my memory is so poor and I get totally stressed out even having to interact with medical professionals after past difficult experiences.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2022
  11. Kalliope

I brought this Medscape article to my doctor when asking to try LDN. It sums up a bit of the current knowledge about ME and LDN, but doesn't conclude regarding efficiency. However, I hope it gave my doctor a bit overview of the theme. He agreed to try.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/926611

I've jabbed myself with B12, but take tablets now.

Good luck!

MeSci, mango, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  12. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was able to get a repeat prescription of the latter from GP after recommendation from Neurology consultant.

It was speculative, I'd taken it upon myself to trial the drug for months at a time and felt like whilst taking it I had remission of unusual neuropathy symptoms, some of which had crossover with previous obvious HSV1 flares & involved increased fatigue. Neurology went along with my reporting and didn't see the harm in continuing, suggesting there was an outside chance of a wider-spread HSV or similar infection. So there was a loose indication for it, more so than just a shot in the dark for "CFS", which I guess a GP might struggle to justify.

If it was actually helping me I doubt it was a result of any targeted action against HSV or whatever. Perhaps some wider effect that anti-virals can have, if anything.

13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The NICE committee looked at the evidence for drugs for ME and found nothing justifying recommendation. I would question how a consultant recommending these things can be 'reputable' to be honest.

In general terms:
    I see no point in taking B12 if levels are normal.
    Naltrexone may do no great harm but as far as we know it is just as likely to do harm as good.
    Aciclovir, I would not prescribe without solid reason because it can produce serious adverse events. From what I can remember the evidence on antivirals for ME is pretty convincingly negative. If there was a useful effect it would have been demonstrated in an adequate trial by now.

There isn't a theory that holds water.

FMMM1, Hutan, Mij and 7 others like this.
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry I struggle with remembering acronyms and abbreviations, so if anyone else struggles like me LDN stands for ‘low dosage naltrexone’. When I was searching for LDN I came across this article relating to its use in fibromyalgia:

“The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic pain”
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3962576/

15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This reminds me, NCNED in Queensland, Australia have just announced an LDN trial - I've posted the details here:
    News from Australia

Anna H, MeSci, mango and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member