1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid in the media and social media 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by rvallee, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Washington Post - Covid long-haulers face grueling fights for disability benefits

(gift link - no paywall for 14 days)

Article mentions ME/CFS, but unlike other Washington Post articles it uses the term "chronic fatigue syndrome." At least it's not "chronic fatigue."

Those of us who have been through the process of applying for disability benefits know that it's a brutal process -- and not only for patients with an ME/CFS diagnosis. It's going to be a rude awakening for so many Long Covid patients.

SSA is understaffed and underfunded. The process for getting benefits is designed to turn people down and hope they give up or die (seriously, a certain percent die while waiting for benefits). It's designed with the idea that there are a whole lot of malingering patients trying to game the system and you have to weed them out.

And getting SSDI (social security disability insurance) benefits is a piece of cake compared to disability benefits covered by ERISA law, but that's another story.

I noticed another weird item in their story about a patient applying for SSDI:

"She continued to submit additional test results after her initial application, with what she said was medical proof of 12 different diagnoses, including post-exertion malaise, chronic fatigue syndrome, dysautonomia, small fiber neuropathy, irritable bowel syndrome, and anxiety and depression."

When did PEM become a diagnosis?

MEMarge, Hutan, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Time: Researchers Are Getting Closer to Understanding Long COVID

https://time.com/6153259/what-causes-long-covid/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2022
    alktipping, ahimsa and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent video. People with Long Covid explaining the effect on their lives.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

"Voices of Long COVID" (video/radio campaign)

I just heard a spot on the radio called "Voices of Long COVID" which lead me to their website here: https://voicesoflongcovid.org/

It seems to be a collection of interviews with relatively young people (ages 20 to 26) who describe what Long COVID has been like for them.

The similarity to descriptions of ME/CFS is striking, including low stamina, failures of memory and cognition, dizziness and even the delay of the onset of these symptoms until 2-3 weeks (or longer) after the initial infection.

ETA: dizziness

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Hutan, alktipping, Aimossy and 4 others like this.
  5. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Linda Dalton gave a moving 13-minute interview on the Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk (an Irish national radio station) yesterday, March 8 about long Covid.

It included the following:

Pat Kenny: You know this business of post viral syndrome, which is how it is being described because many viruses lead people with certain symptoms for a while and just for a while. This reminds me a bit of the battle of people with ME who are trying to persuade people that ME existed. It’s got a name Myalgic Encephalomyelitis but it took a long time for people to accept this was a real thing and not something of the imagination. There is no question that what you are suffering from is definitely as real as it gets.

Linda Dalton: Yes, Long Covid is very, very similar to ME and CFS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so my heart goes out to the society. They do suffer very, very similar traits to long Covid people and they’ve been suffering 20, 30, 40 years without getting their voices heard so hopefully if the doctors find some sort of cure or remedy to this, it will help them also.

https://www.goloudplayer.com/episodes/328977?$deeplink_path=podcast/47/328977&_branch_match_id=788909076450803030&_branch_referrer=H4sIAAAAAAAAA8soKSkottLXL0gxzTTRSywo0MvJzMvWd8kp9w/3dfEOTk2yVzUySUlNLQCJxxcklmTYFuSnJCcWl6gauZmYAwljIwtLc3M1sLLi7JL8gvjSohzbDJDBqsaOQAVAVF5erpeen5NfmlKQk1iZWqSXnJ8LFE4tyCzOB+qCmwIAYyxQ4Y8AAAA=

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  6. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(I'm not sure where to post this, or if it's already been posted.)

Long Covid - Exploring the latest science and pathways forward
    From Gez Medinger's YouTube channel.

The opening presentation from the 17th Integrative Healthcare Conference, 2022 in New York. Hosted by David Brady and with a panel including Dr Bruce Patterson, Dr Richard Horowitz, Dr Tom Fabian and Gez Medinger himself. The intention is to cover the latest science and understanding of long covid and what treatments are currently being considered.

I haven't watched the whole video yet, so not sure if it's a recommendation. At the beginning David Brady (whose wife has long covid) mentions ME/CFS and how post-viral conditions are nothing new, and how dismissed and mistreated pwme and have been in past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El1rdF8XET4

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Hutan, Sean, Mithriel and 2 others like this.
  7. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Mithriel and Kalliope like this.
  8. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This passage stood out to me.

The suggestion seems to be that the ME/CFS onset is slower than LC, which is rapid. My experience of presumed LC is of slow onset (before I even recognised it) and then precipitous deterioration. I suspect it's hard for many patients experiencing this to tease it apart, as I had to look back with the retrospectoscope to appreciate it. Anecdotally people can describe recovering from a few days of acute "mild" COVID and then getting very sick a few weeks later, but some are also going straight in to the LC situation. I suspect there's similar variability in ME, also depending on inciting cause, but others here likely have a better view on this.

This post has been copied and following discussion moved to this thread:
    Is Long Covid a type of ME/CFS? Discussion thread

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2022
    MEMarge, Ariel, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  9. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, alktipping and Trish like this.
  10. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yes, where is the control for reporting biases like these?

Hutan, alktipping, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full story can be read here.

This sounds familiar:

Shocking statistics:

EzzieD, cfsandmore, Mij and 9 others like this.
  14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The U.S is also running Long-Covid public service announcements (PSA) on tv during basketball games. It's centered on vaccination, but at least they are making people more aware of LC.

Here is one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auKUKOiCTnk

cfsandmore, Ariel, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Trish likes this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sean, Hutan, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  17. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is Levine talking about? I am sick of these statements coming from individuals which have no basis in reality. People should have researched ME by now in the context of the pandemic to correct their wrong impressions about it; it is hard to take such people seriously when they continue to spread false information at this stage.

ETA: If someone is trying to compare ME and Long Covid and the upshot of what they are saying is that Long Covid is somehow "worse" or more severe, it's a sign they have not understood either topic.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    rainy, Wits_End, Mithriel and 10 others like this.
  18. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to clarify, "unlike CFS" is not within the quote from Dr. Levine; that's the way the journalist has chosen to say it.

Ariel, Sean, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  19. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MIT Sloan Management Review
    How Managers Can Support Employees With Long Covid
    by Fiona Lowenstein

quote:
    Employers can start by learning about post-exertional symptom exacerbation, or post-exertional malaise (PEM), a common symptom of long COVID and related chronic illnesses. People with PEM often have to carefully pace work tasks with rest, because overexertion can lead to temporarily or permanently worsened health.

ukxmrv, Ariel and Trish like this.
  20. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's terrifying to think that she is still driving with such symptoms.

alktipping, mango and Kalliope like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.