1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid epidemiology (prevalence, incidence, recovery rates)

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Feb 20, 2021.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't yet know how much is reliable reporting so I wont link to just news articles but await some science, but there is a new Covid strain that appears in early data to be much, MUCH more infectious than delta and has so many mutations it may evade the vaccine. Its all over my news feeds. Its primarily found in the south of Africa. However we currently have no information on how lethal it is, just how infectious. It spreads like its the hare and delta is the turtle. Given we have known about it for only a month or so we have no data on lethality that I have seen yet. We can hope its much less lethal. Deaths lag infection by weeks in earlier strains, so we might have to wait even a month to see how dangerous it really is.

This is what happens when billions of people are still not vaccinated. Even with vaccinations mutations might arise, but with countries with very low vaccination this is much more likely.

UK is already stopping air travel to that part of the world. Our health minister just announced we are watching but nothing is certain yet.

2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mail Online:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ts-living-long-Covid-official-data-shows.html

merylg, Hutan, Kalliope and 2 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

From the front page of the Sunday Times (Irish edition):
    IMG_5986 - Copy.jpg

I'm not sure whether these numbers hold up, given the numbers vaccinated.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2022
    cfsandmore, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post
    An article about the study mentioned previously here:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2022
  5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2022
    Amw66, Ariel, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Long COVID remains a broadly defined syndrome, with estimates of prevalence and duration varying widely. We use data from rounds 3–5 of the REACT-2 study (n = 508,707; September 2020 – February 2021), a representative community survey of adults in England, and replication data from round 6 (n = 97,717; May 2021) to estimate the prevalence and identify predictors of persistent symptoms lasting 12 weeks or more; and unsupervised learning to cluster individuals by reported symptoms. At 12 weeks in rounds 3–5, 37.7% experienced at least one symptom, falling to 21.6% in round 6. Female sex, increasing age, obesity, smoking, vaping, hospitalisation with COVID-19, deprivation, and being a healthcare worker are associated with higher probability of persistent symptoms in rounds 3–5, and Asian ethnicity with lower probability. Clustering analysis identifies a subset of participants with predominantly respiratory symptoms. Managing the long-term sequelae of COVID-19 will remain a major challenge for affected individuals and their families and for health services.

Open access, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29521-z

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2022
    Hutan, ahimsa, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  8. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What the actual prevalence of Long Covid might be is kind of the million dollar question that no one really has a good answer to. Of course, it depends a lot on how you define Long Covid. At one extreme, we have the studies that say anyone who reports any of a long list of symptoms has LC (some of these find LC prevalence of 50% or so, which doesn't seem credible). Then you have studies that report any one symptom minus controls reporting the same symptoms (these ones are all over the place, depending on their criteria for who did or didn't have Covid, and they will significantly underestimate for common symptoms). Then you have the ONS survey asking people directly if they have Long Covid (which is 7% for people with two mRNA doses, 15% for non-vaccinated from earlier waves, less now). Finally, you have some chart review studies that find very low prevalence (less than 1% in some cases).

Worth noting that although the ONS numbers are going up quickly recently because there are so many Omicron infections, the percentage of people reporting LC 4-12 weeks post infection is significantly lower for Omicron (my guess is this is due to boosters, but it could also be intrinsic to Omicron or due to previous infections). From the ONS data, 10% is too high and even 5% for boosted people is too high. I don't think the data supports the claim that 10% of people getting infected today will end up with LC.

I guess which numbers you believe depends how much you trust people to know they have LC (or that they "are still experiencing symptoms more than 4 weeks after you first had COVID-19, that are not explained by something else"). Are there a lot of people out there who have long term symptoms and don't realize they are connected to Covid? Maybe, but I'd be surprised if it was a huge number at this point. I'm inclined to think the ONS survey is probably the best estimate that we have (2.7% of the total UK population 6 weeks ago, maybe a little higher in the US because of less vaccination and more infections).

Hutan, Sean and alktipping like this.
  9. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merged thread
    One Grim Statistic Lays Bare The Truly Relentless Grip of Long COVID

https://www.sciencealert.com/one-grim-statistic-lays-bare-the-truly-relentless-grip-of-long-covid
    This article is about the study being discussed on this thread:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/clini...ecovery-2022-phosp-covid-collaborative.27233/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2022
    alktipping, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, ahimsa, Sean and 5 others like this.