1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Covid drug BC-007 research news

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by RedFox, Sep 7, 2022.

1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Change.org petition to fund and expedite BC-007 research

BC007 NOW- Chance of a cure for millions of suffering people
    From the English description

call on the German government to financially support the approval studies of the company Berlin Cures GmbH for the drug BC 007 and to remove bureaucratic hurdles to enable an accelerated approval process.

We call on the German government to expand biomedical research on long-covid, ME/CFS and post-vaccine syndrome and to increase government funding for further clinical trials and appropriate therapies to at least 100 million euros for an initial period of 24 months.

We call on the German government to expand the long-covid outpatient clinics into interdisciplinary treatment centers, to improve the network between medical disciplines and to promote further training for physicians in the aforementioned pathologies.

We call on the Germanl government to simplify the bureaucratic processes for social security for those affected.

My take
    This is not an official petition through any government, but people in Germany will be able to use this as evidence of public support. I signed it and hope you do too. BC-007 isn't the sure shot some people insist it is, but every drug candidate for LC and ME/CFS should be researched quickly and thoroughly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2023
    Amw66, livinglighter, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks like a serious muddle.

Why should normal process be bypassed for a treatment that so far has little credibility and no evidence of effectiveness?

What has it got to do with 'post-vaccine syndromes"?

What is the point of 'interdisciplinary treatment centres' if we have no treatments?

TiredSam, bobbler, lycaena and 15 others like this.
  3. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The early tests on a couple of Long Haulers and on one ME/CFS patient showed full recoveries from the drug almost immediately. This has a lot of people excited that its a miracle drug. In practice the drug seems to constantly running into roadblocks for the stage 2 and 3 trials and has funding issues and a few trials that were tried independently couldn't get the drug at all, its not really available to researchers or anyone at this stage. It might be a miracle cure, it might be more smoke and mirrors or anything in between but its not got far in its testing and every year the trials get delayed a year. My funny business alert keeps going off for this one.

4. RedFox

My own opinion is this: Berlin Cures is waiting for government approval to start a trial. This should be given without unnecessary delay. If trials show BC-007 works, it must be approved promptly. They also want funding for trials. That would be great, but it seems like money is already available.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  5. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many ME/CFS scams of this nature have come and gone over the years. It always boils down to the scammer claiming he/she has a high accuracy diagnostic test or a potent treatment/cure, always presented in a fuzzy-on-the-details manner while presenting himself as a rebellious lone wolf scientist working against the evil slow uncaring medical authorities/govt, creating a false sense of urgency (publication in a peer reviewed journal? normal regulatory process? pffft, those things are for suckers) to scam people out of their money/hope.

Ash, EndME, TiredSam and 7 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any reason to think that the German government is delaying, though? @RedFox

My understanding was that Berlin Cures had withdrawn their proposal for an ME trial.
    All trials need to go through ethical approval. For novel treatments that, and adequate safety data, is about all that regulators require. Do they have adequate safety data, I wonder?

EndME, alktipping, TiredSam and 7 others like this.
  7. RedFox

You're making me think critically here, and take a more balanced approach. The latest news we heard a few months ago was that they were doing quality control. I think many people grumbled "They're delaying it again!" when that news was released, and this attitude seeped into my mind as well. Looking at this more carefully, there's no evidence the government is dragging their feet, and Berlin Cures has every incentive not to. Still, science tends to work faster when there's a sense of urgency--we saw this repeatedly during the pandemic--so keeping BC-007 in the spotlight isn't a bad thing. And I've also heard of some communication issues between Berlin Cures and Erlangen--I hope those have been resolved.

Ash, TiredSam and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Precisely sums up , thank you - "---we have no treatments---". We need research (such as GWAS) to identify the cause/underlying disease mechanism --- then we can move to treatments.

9. RedFox

Merged thread

"Long-Covid drug from Berlin is being tested" (Update on BC-007)

Long-Covid-Arznei aus Berlin geht in die Prüfung

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtsch...vid-mittel-bc007-ist-finanziert-18390943.html

Long-Covid drug from Berlin is being tested
    Translated with Google Translate

Key takeaways:
    They're getting serious now. No flaunting heady testimonals on social media, no touting tiny unblinded studies. They're finally putting this drug to the test with a phase 2 trial involving over 100 participants. Other points:
    • They raised several million in funding for this, but they have yet to receive regulatory approval
    • Results are expected between August and December 2023
    • If successful, it could lead to a phase 3 trial and approval in 2024
    One thing we don't have word on is the progress of a trial in ME/CFS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2023
    ukxmrv, bobbler, shak8 and 6 others like this.
  10. RedFox

https://twitter.com/user/status/1636618123682930689

11. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do they only expect it to work in the early stage?

12. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/ctr-search/trial/2022-003452-14/DE

As noted by @Wyva, inclusion criteria include —

Exclusion criteria include —

Primary end point —

Ariel, shak8, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Berlin Cures Welcomes Oliver von Stein as New CEO to Lead Next Phase of Innovation and Growth

With over two decades of unwavering dedication to functional autoantibody research, we have successfully identified a biotechnology capable of effectively neutralizing fAABs.Our extensive research findings indicate that this platform technology holds immense potential in significantly alleviating or even curing a spectrum of diseases associated with fAABs, including Long COVID Syndrome (LCS), heart failure, and numerous others. By tackling the root cause, Berlin Cures emerges as one of the pioneering entities committed to addressing this critical issue.”

Phase II study for BC 007 in the indication Long COVID to start in June
    Berlin Cures has received regulatory approvals to start a European multicenter Phase II clinical trial in the indication Long COVID with the molecule BC 007 and will begin the trial this June.With this important milestone in the development of BC 007 Berlin Cures will be able to obtain clinically meaningful and robust results on efficacy and tolerability of BC 007 with patients suffering from Long COVID. Initial results are expected in early 2024.

https://www.berlincures.com/en/news/new-ceo

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2023
  14. RedFox

That's really good news. The trial application specifies 114 participants. I'm very happy about that.

Mij, tmrw and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. RedFox

16. RedFox

Berlin Cures has hired a new CEO:
    Berlin Cures Welcomes Oliver von Stein as New CEO to Lead Next Phase of Innovation and Growth.
    https://www.berlincures.com/en/news/new-ceo

17. RedFox

The first patients have been given the drug:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1676600658680590336

Translated:

shak8 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solstice, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. RedFox

Berlin Cures takes next step in battle against Long COVID
    Collaboration with Uniklinikum Erlangen as 5th German research center
    Berlin, Germany, 10 October 2023

It sounds like they're going to open an additional clinical trial site in Erlangen, in addition to the ones they already have (or plan to open). Their current locations are Berlin in eastern Germany, Cologne and Münster in the west, and Vienna, Austria. I think that's a good spread and they shouldn't have trouble recruiting 114 people.

Ash, ukxmrv, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  20. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The inclusion criteria for this study are making it very hard to recruit. Machine translation of the tweet:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1738124676537164012