1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightning Process - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by Barry, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will this method also allow me to turn things which aren't gold, such as potatoes, or pocket lint, into gold?

If I believe they are gold, and tell everyone they are gold, and internally re enforce this, and any time I doubt that they are gold extend my arms with the palm of my hands pointing outwards, shouting 'Stop!', and do this in say a supermarket, when a member of staff is not a believer in my solid gold pocket lint, at least as far as payment for goods goes.

I wonder how long it would be before people consider me a little 'odd', and gave me free room and board.

JemPD, Barry, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I think this has just been tried with carrots and donuts. Didn't end well.

3. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't wish to dwell too much on such a ludicrous aura-seeing, tarot-card reading huckster as Philip Kilvington Parker, but I recently came across his PhD thesis from September 2019, and thought others here might find it interesting. It's based around a close variant of the LP he called "The Rediscovery Process", which he managed to inflict upon a number of unfortunate drug addicts.

He devotes part of his PhD thesis to a whinge about ME patients and their "highly critical commentary":
    While (McKie, 2011) doesn't actually appear in his list of references, it may refer to Robin McKie's notorious attack on the ME patient community (the one containing all of the bogus/overblown tales of "harassment") that was published in the pages of the Guardian in 2011; if it does, McKie did not mention Parker or his process, although he did refer to Crawley.

A sample TRP conversation with a client is given; it is clearly very close to the LP, as the same neologistic vernacular ("dûing" [sic]) is used in both. In fact, I suspect the only reason Parker did not use the LP name was to avoid negative publicity.
    Interested to know if such execrable bilge is generally reflective of PhD-grade work in psychology.

Barry, Frankie, MSEsperanza and 16 others like this.
  4. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mrs Banfield's daughter must be better now for all of a fortnight!

ukxmrv and FMMM1 like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also note that parents often accompany children to the Lightning Process training so she (the mother) may have been LPed.

Barry, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

No surprise - these snake oil merchants follow the money.

alktipping, MEMarge, Marky and 2 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can it really be legal for PP to be targeting long covid patients with this?

MEMarge likes this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those comments look straight out of the brochure.

Speaking of which, there's a lot of that on twitter recently over FND. Lots of accounts that claim to be patients but speak very unnaturally. It's possible that all they're doing is repeating the sales pitch because they believe in it but their framing is still very unnatural, patients simply don't talk this way. Looks astroturfed. I'm not the only one to see it and I have a good eye for this kind of activity.

It was Per Fink, who got public funding for a PR campaign? Looks like this may be it.

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. Barry

Merged thread (also posted here)

This is brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2021
  12. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Starlight, alktipping, rainy and 2 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

14. Barry

alktipping, EzzieD, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the blog - during the LP the author was told

" if you concentrate on your symptoms all the time, then you're going to keep having them. "

Yet when I have a migraine it will get to the point where I can focus on nothing but the excruciating pain no matter how hard I try to ignore it and, believe me, I have tried.

Even though I get to the point I can focus on nothing else and it feels like forever, eventually it does pass.

The non stop pain of a tooth abscess certainly took up all my attention to the point I couldn't watch TV or even drive (pre ME days). Yet, miraculously, when treated by a dentist the pain still.completely disappeared.

In the overwhelming majority of cases symptoms are an indication that something is wrong. Do what's necessary to sort the problem, be that to rest, take a couple of paracetamol or see a healthcare professional and the problem will go whether you focus on it or not.

chrisb, Snowdrop, Mij and 11 others like this.
  16. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trouble concentrating is a common problem for those with anxiety, they continue to contradict themselves.

17. Barry

Looks like this bus must have done the Lightning Process ...

upload_2021-7-16_15-46-19.png

Frankie, Kirsten, Sly Saint and 12 others like this.
  18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Parsnip

Parsnip Established Member (Voting Rights)

Officially F*** this guy. Ofc can't know if these are his thoughts at that time, and he's intentionally 'helping'/tricking people with all his other treatments (hypnosis, nlp, efm and so on), or if he acctually belive in the the secret neural rewiring of NLP and this is just the current selling point for a new target group.

[​IMG]From his site in 2004:

Lightning Process

Details
    Date: 7-8 aug 2004
    Venue: London N8, UK
    Course director: Phil Parker
    Eligibility: You must be a practitioner in a related field of health care already to take this taining.
    Fee: £250

Learn how to help your clients free themselves from their most destructive thought patterns, and start to be in charge of living a life they love.

Developed from the last 5 years of Phil Parker's research into dealing with "difficult" clients.

Phil says" you know when you have those kinds of clients who are just so easy to help..they almost seem to do it themselves...and then you have those other kinds of clients that are really hard wok..each process you use they manage to make complex or impossible..the lightning process was orginally designed to help 'tricky' clients turn themselves into 'easy' clients, who could then really reap the benefits of your treatment.

With time we've found not only does it work well in that repsect, but it's also really valuable for so many of the other issues that people bring to us..moreover it's a perfect tool for modelling how people succeed and how others succeed to fail."

20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely this means absolutely no one could ever meet the eligibility criteria, as LP is not healthcare, therefore there can be no related fields of health care, therefore no customers eligible to go on the course?

Ever, by definition.

I also note the misspelling of 'training' (not mine)

Simbindi, alktipping, Hutan and 5 others like this.