BPS attempts at psychologizing Long Covid

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by rvallee, Jul 22, 2020.

1. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is a very scary photo :blackalien::blackalien::blackalien:

sebaaa, ukxmrv, TiredSam and 9 others like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is to be hoped they are better at the day-job than they are at photoshopping. Or is it just our dysfunctional cognitions deceiving us?

sebaaa, ukxmrv, lunarainbows and 5 others like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since Berenson seems to be regarded as a 'Covid contrarian," perhaps we should embrace the notion that the psychological explanation of long-Covid - and, by extension, the psychological explanation of ME - are henceforth to be regarded as the "contrarian" view. :)

sebaaa, 2kidswithME, Leila and 10 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    sebaaa, rvallee, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Apparently I need to do Sumo squats.

I guess that my arthritic hips are just a figment of the x-rays imagination.

ladycatlover, MEMarge, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There used to be places for such people. Care in the community did away with them.

MEMarge, Amw66, JemPD and 1 other person like this.
  7. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

both myself and @SallyC have made comments with our concerns about the suggestion in this Tweet

sebaaa, MEMarge, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some years ago I tried to find some light exercise videos on Youtube specifically for "elderly beginners" or "senior beginners". I wouldn't have described myself as elderly at the time but I was definitely a beginner. I came across a few videos described as being for beginners which were hour-long strenuous aerobics routines. There are plenty of people who simply don't have a clue...

MEMarge, JemPD, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hundreds of coronavirus patients have joined a new 'bootcamp' aimed at treating their lingering symptoms

https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...g-haulers-treatment-lingering-symptoms-2020-8

It's more of a paced GET hybrid, but still comes at it from the wrong angle, the actual substance is irrelevant when the starting point is imaginary.
    And yet...
    Ah, yes, confidence. Definitely a totally real issue here. More donkey science.

10. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Why do these idiots always get in there first? It's so annoying.

"Bootcamp". What are they going to do, cure people by shouting at them? Why not just call it "Conversion Therapy"? It's just as offensive, but at least they'd be calling it what it is.

11. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

CBT - Conversion Bootcamp Therapy.

obeat, John Mac, chrisb and 7 others like this.
  12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Henrik Vogt and another doctor has written an opinion piece about scare mongering creating long covid.

It is important to emphasize that covid-19 can of course be a great strain and require time before one recovers. But at the same time, we must know that the same symptoms that are first triggered by an injury or microbe can eventually be maintained by the brain even if the original danger is gone. Just think of phantom pain where people experience pain in body parts that are gone.

The brain also triggers stress reactions that are bodily, such as palpitations, altered breathing patterns, skin reactions, altered intestinal function, changes in the hormonal system and the immune system. As the Norwegian doctor and researcher Vegard Wyller has pointed out, these highly physiological reactions can be persistent .

En fryktdrevet pandemi av varige helseproblemer
    google translation: A fear-driven pandemic of lasting health problems

ETA: It is shared by a Lightning Process coach on twitter which again is liked by a research director at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  13. rvallee

The deceit is part of the ideology. Hence why in the article someone who is clearly psychologizing the symptoms says that it's bad that people's symptoms were dismissed as psychological. It's the "dismissed" part that bothers them, not the "psychological".

If they said what they meant nobody the patients would not bother. They know this, hence the obsession in the literature over how to convince patients and frustration at the rejection of their magical thinking.

14. rvallee

15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

No, just don't think of phantom limb pain, Mr Vogt. It's irrelevant to the subject of Post Covid illness. Might just as well think of marmalade on toast.

16. rvallee

Well I feel dumber for having read that. It's like a descent into an aggressively ignorant diseased mind. Coincidentally, I just finished reading The Call of Cthulhu and it wasn't as compelling as its reputation lead me to believe. But Lovecraft wrote fiction, these fools seem to genuinely believe in their nonsense. The fear of fear may sound impressive to the superstitious but it falls very flat here, unlike in a century-old fantastic tale. Frankly Lovecraft's depiction of giant squid monsters from space are more believable than this childish nonsense.

It shows the authors did not even bother reading anything about it, did not read a single patient report, their mind was made-up from the start. Nothing but speculative bullshit from people both too lazy to check up on anything but obsessed to the point of seeking out anything that will validate their nonsensical beliefs. The details don't even add up, no one but us was warning about this and nobody paid attention. It's so easy to invalidate.

Again I find no issue with that, it's that it's taken seriously at all that is concerning, that someone actually published this mindless drivel, and someone at a public institute of health would actually find this compelling. Fringe beliefs and quacks abound, but the institutions of science are supposed to guard against them, not give them a platform. That's what's truly frightening, that medical charlatans and con artists are actually promoted, their absurd beliefs amplified.

Arnie Pye, Philipp, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMG there's a photo to scare the BeJesus out of everyone!!!

20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Birthday surprise.

sebaaa, FMMM1, StefanE and 4 others like this.