1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Left out (Norwegian documentary on ME)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Marky, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This magnificent documentary on ME is now available on Youtube with english subtitles. Watch it, and send it to whoever needs to see what ME is.

Edit: Please share this documentary! I think its one of the few that can actually help people understand us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQjjYVZzxk

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The documentary also gives insight in the RituxME study. The director Paul Schaathun followed the researchers for two years as well as some patients. The documentary was sent on national TV in Norway May 2018.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting. I had not seen this. Really well put together film.

4. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would be interested to know how the placebo response rate compares with that in other studies. Is there anyway of comparing this?

Ravn, ScottTriGuy and Marky like this.
  5. Marky

Im sure there is! Curious myself

Ravn and ScottTriGuy like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This paper is old but would have collated responses in papers published before it was finalised:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7785/a5598c128500213a46969883880c6312ad40.pdf

JohnTheJack, oldtimer, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not that I would put any credibility to the actual numbers (with freaking decimal precision to boot, seriously?) but at least those can be compared to one another, even if flawed as absolute values. That the "placebo" response is lower is not surprising given the severity of impairment. Maybe that's why there ended up being so much obsessive dependency on questionnaires, it's the only way to create a placebo "effect". And even at that it failed. So much for "conventional wisdom", i.e. what Wessely believes.

It's kind of funny that he puts this bit about skepticism over psychological explanations, when in truth most of us never gave a single second of thought to this other then when people try to impose it on us and bizarrely insist so. Completely irrelevant comment. I do not ignore or dispute astrological relevance of my illness because I am skeptical of it, I literally never even considered it as being applicable in the slightest and apply the same to psychological impact. It's simply not relevant. Wessely always frames things according to his own perspective when talking about his patients' perception. Not often, literally always. It's... weird.

Arnie Pye, EzzieD, oldtimer and 5 others like this.
  8. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

really nice documentary!

MEMarge, oldtimer, Marky and 4 others like this.
  9. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very good!

If I hadn't had massive respect for the ritux research team already I would have developed it after watching this. A great example of taking both the suffering of patients and the scientific method seriously. Empathy and integrity. Thank you.

Also impressed by how the Norwegians manage to make documentaries where they follow people for several years, it adds depth to the story.

Joh, MEMarge, Leila and 17 others like this.
  10. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was interesting to see them opening the results to the Rituximab study at 40 mins with a couple of significant responders to the placebo.

MEMarge, Grigor, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  11. Marky

That scene is heartbreaking

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a brilliant video with its mix of excellent science in action and showing how sick people really are, and the impact on them of trying to do any 'normal' activities.

The Rituximab unblinding scene was amazing. The honesty and integrity of the researchers and their genuine disappointment when it showed there was no between group differences was a mix of sad and inspiring - showing how much they cared about the patients, and that they were still willing for it to be shown in the film, even though their moment of triumph turned to dust.

I couldn't help thinking of the contrast between this scene and the scenes I imagine when the PACE trial researchers realised that wasn't going to be the big success they had planned, and they responded so dishonestly by lowering the outcome thresholds to get the result they wanted.

Well done to all involved in making the film.

Joh, EzzieD, MEMarge and 25 others like this.
  13. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a brilliant film, so well made.

I second everything that @Trish just said and would try to rephrase it in my own words but too exhausted to do so and Trish said it so well! Just wanted to add my voice to the praise for the film and the science, just in case anyone involved sees this :emoji_clap::emoji_clap::emoji_clap: !

I have a lot of respect for Fluge and Mella et al for their dedication to the science. I'm sorry for them that they didn't get the outcome they wanted, it seems a shame that scientists only get celebrated if you get a positive result. I'm grateful to them for taking an interest and doing the trial.

I hope that future research will shed some light on why some people seemed to respond, it may be placebo or they could be a small sub-group I guess.

MEMarge, oldtimer, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tia, Marky and Adam pwme like this.
  15. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sly Saint likes this.
  16. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really great documentary!

Trish, MEMarge, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  17. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was just about to post a link for this. Fantastic documentary :thumbup:

MEMarge, andypants, Trish and 2 others like this.
  18. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is great to share with interested frinds and family

andypants, rainy, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The stunning scenery and research coverage managed to make the patient narratives less depressing so the film can pack punches whilst being widely watchable and seeing the research in the context of patients waiting on it was very powerful. I gave hundreds to that study and likewise waited on it, primarily because it was all there was treatment wise, And don’t regret it because I find the researchers very deserving in professionalism and compassion.

My own teens and deterioTion had similarities to Emilie, watching that painful half life , so blatantly cut off from peers zinging with energy was poignant. And then emilies health just slipping away to nothing was Also powerfully captured due to it covering years as ravn said. I wish we could get this viewed by all those who need educating re. Urgency For research and it not being benign fatigue etc such as at the CMRC conference, as it has a strong research focus maybe it could be ?

I did think the battery graphic at the start was very powerful and wondered if the film makers would allow that minute to be extracted and used for general explanatory awareness. Ive seen in m.s little animated graphics or videos for the public to better understand, I think that this Could be useful.

MEMarge, rainy, Sid and 7 others like this.
  20. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched it the other day and also thought it was a fantastic documentary and showed the impact of ME so well. It was also great to see such dedicated doctors studying this illness.

MEMarge, rainy, andypants and 3 others like this.