1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Judy Mikovits

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Hell..hath..no..fury..., Dec 10, 2018.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Inappropriate for sure...

MEMarge, Sarah94 and mango like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An addition to my previous post...

One thing that does worry me about the internet getting censored in respect of medical information is that it makes it harder for anyone and everyone to put forward a new idea.

It's probably too late for big pharma to get rid of dissenting voices about the diet-heart hypothesis and the "cholesterol will kill you" idea. But if the information had come out ten years later they would probably be screaming for that to be removed from the internet too.

Science should not be about achieving consensus and defending it tooth and claw from anyone dissenting. That is just a way to make sure that science stagnates.

Sisyphus, Ron, Zombie Lurker and 3 others like this.
  3. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a hard call to make on what level of censorship is optimal, on the one hand anti-vaxers, COVID deniers, and bleach promoters pose serious harm and potential to cause many deaths, on the other hand plenty of psych's would like this site shut down for what they believe to be harmful misinformation.

inox, Sid, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If only arriving at the truth was as simple as just listening to authorities. Or as simple as listening to anti-authoritarian figures likes Mikovits.

Sid, erin, Woolie and 11 others like this.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is why transparency and truly independent replication should be a standard of science. We shouldn't have to evaluate claims based on who said them but on the evidence and how sound it is.

We need to change the culture of how we talk about claims rather than putting our belief in one or another claim.

inox, Woolie, 2kidswithME and 11 others like this.
  6. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Cheshire

If You Found That ‘Plandemic’ Video Convincing, Read This Too

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/if-you-found-that-plandemic-video-convincing-read-th-1843339002

The harm she's done to us is not over. I hope MECFS gets refered to as little as possible in this conspiracy nonsense.

8. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ars Technica has covered the story.

Fired scientist back to peddling anti-vaxx COVID-19 conspiracy theories
    YouTube, Facebook crack down on two viral videos for spreading medical misinformation.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/202...dling-anti-vaxx-covid-19-conspiracy-theories/

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Woolie, MEMarge, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I will say this... I think ME/CFS research and advocacy (in the US, at least) would be in a much different place today were it not for the XMRV debacle - a place a lot more like 2009 than 2020.

To quote John F. Kennedy:

shak8, rvallee and lycaena like this.
  12. zzz

zzz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

A rather damning article from Science Magazine, which is a publication of the AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science). The article does an excellent job of destroying any credibility that MIkovits may have left. It describes some really wild conspiracy theories by Mikovits on a variety of topics, and proceeds to debunk them one by one.

Fact-checking Judy Mikovits, the controversial virologist attacking Anthony Fauci in a viral conspiracy video | Science | AAAS

Edit: An article covering similar ground has also been published in the Washington Post.

Sisyphus, Woolie, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  13. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Man, that is bat sh*t crazy.

Woolie and rvallee like this.
  15. Hoopoe

In some way, seeing all the chaos, confusion, scandals and weird ideas about the coronavirus makes me feel a little better because for once it's not happening in the field of ME/CFS.

It shows I think that this is typical for situations where there is a lot of uncertainty.

epipnoia, Woolie, Webdog and 9 others like this.
  16. Cheshire

Woolie, shak8, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Might one dream that this Covid business might provide a Wizard of Oz moment that makes people realise we live in a world where fashion is authority and everyone has become Jeremy from Yellow Submarine.

Sisyphus, Simbindi, Webdog and 4 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As more details come out, this is clearly 100% political, basically a massive propaganda operation.

Can't really speak to the details but this is all for the QAnon crowd. It will get pretty ugly, but at least the conversation will be mostly on the weird politics and are less likely to splash us too much.

Woolie, alktipping and shak8 like this.
  19. Hoopoe

Mikovits must be getting some very effective and thus not inexpensive help to boost her social media presence and produce a professional documentary. She has 126000 followers on Twitter despite joining in April of this year, no way this is legitimate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2020
  20. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CNN has a full segment on this. They have not named her by name, just showed pictures.

Denise likes this.