1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Jen Brea $100,000 crowdfund for 2018 #MEAction activities

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Sasha, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Andy, JaimeS, Cohen and 18 others like this.
  2. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sharing! Such an amazing video, watched it several times. :) I think the fundraiser is not only for #MillionsMissing 2018 (as indicated in your title) but for a year of #MEAction work in general.

Andy, MeSci, Trish and 4 others like this.
  3. Sasha

You're right - I edited my title. :)

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not yet, lets get David Tuller full time funded first... :hug:

MEMarge, Sbag, Lisa108 and 10 others like this.
  5. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A year of work for $100k seems very reasonable, I hope all people with ME would consider donating if they are able.

6. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You know ME/CFS is starting to be in a better spot when there is too much stuff for you to be able to donate to.

Will definitely be doing what I can to donate to this though. Although I don't always agree with everything JB says, there is no denying that she is an excellent advocate for this illness and she is fucking badass!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Keela Too, alktipping, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  7. Joh

Donated and will be eagerly awaiting my little golden #MillionsMissing shoe pin. :) You can chose from different perks for different donation amounts.

[​IMG]

8. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She is a great speaker....gosh 100,000 by June 2nd is a big ask...I wonder why such a small window? I will be very surprised if they reach that target but very much hope they do!

Inara, MeSci, Indigophoton and 6 others like this.
  9. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah it's sort of odd... Last time I felt like they should have extended their crowdfunding, because they could easily have been able to raise more money. Maybe it is to create a sense of urgency to get people to donate?

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If a significant part of the money is to pay staff salaries, they will presumably need the security of knowing they have the funds available before appointing anyone to a position - I don't know much about the organisation and whether it employs staff.

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Joh like this.
  11. Joh

Some info about what the funds will be used for can be found on the Indiegogo campaign page:

Indigophoton, BurnA, Trish and 2 others like this.
  12. Sunshine3

The crowdrise is extremely slow....where are all the millions missing....even the smallest donation makes a difference...I hope it starts to rise...it feels like now is the time to push things forward...we need to seize the moment!

Clara, Joh and Allele like this.
  13. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of the 10% diagnosed, most are not able to work. Need to find a way to get more donations from healthy working people.

Andy, Lisa108, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  14. Sunshine3

That's hard to do. I don't post about M.E on my private facebook page only very rarely as I get no response and that hurts. People have no interest in M.E, have no idea of the suffering. So patients have to help themselves. As for 10% diagnosed, I question that. I diagnosed myself by googling and knew within a month. 5 months later, I got a medical diagnosis.

alktipping, Binkie4 and Inara like this.
  15. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I donated what I could to David Tuller. Simply bad timing, sorry :(

16. Clara

Clara Established Member (Voting Rights)

MEAction Network has been added to the Benefit fundraising app which donates 2-20% of your everyday shopping transactions at popular retailers to your cause. The average person in the U.S. can find several hundred to a thousand dollars extra to donate per year by using the Benefit app. The average donation to the MEAction Indiegogo campaign so far is $75.

Contribute to MEAction by using the Benefit app at http://benefit-mobile.com. (Search in the app for the full name, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Action Network.)

Andy, Joh and Webdog like this.
  17. JenB

JenB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi everyone! Just wanted to update you (as you hopefully already know!) that our crowdfunding campaign is in the home stretch! We have 17 days left to reach our $100,000 goal. Any help you can offer either directly supporting the campaign or spreading the word would be much, much appreciated.

We're trying to support our team of six (https://www.meaction.net/about/team/ myself excluded – I do not draw a salary), along with tools like our events and petitions tool, our contact Congress tool, our contact Parliament tool, AND hire an organizer in the UK. I believe we'll reach our goal but it almost seems like the more successful we are, the harder it is to fundraise. I would think that with the impact that Unrest (not just the film but the massive, organized campaign behind it) and #MillionsMissing have had, and with all the success in the US Senate and UK Parliament, and all of our future plans for medical outreach and education (including accrediting Unrest for CME), this would be something many would want to support if they could. MEAction has been a major driving force behind so much of this last year's tidal shift but it seems like we haven't done a very good job of articulating that to the world. I honestly am at a loss!

If everyone on our mailing list donated US$1.50 today we'd reach our goal! Broad participation at very small amounts would get us there. Our work inspires major passion and sharing on social media. Our asks that that work be supported so that it can continue to exist does not. I know not everyone can support the campaign, even at $5, but surely everyone can share it?

I do think perhaps if we were doing LESS. If we were focused on just one, single thing, it would be far easier to fundraise. But at the end of the day, our mission is not any one, single project or program. The mission is to be the engine that powers/scales/turbo-charges the movement. That's a very hard thing to explain. All you can do is show the effect on the world. I can see it (this is a very different world than the one I entered five years ago, I think we've made a significant impact) but perhaps I'm just much to close to it? And that is not a sentiment widely shared?

Feedback, ideas, and sharing of our link very much appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  18. Sasha

I wonder if it's because #MEAction somehow looks like infrastructure, and people focus on individual campaigns?

Would it help to be explicit about how that infrastructure has contributed to advocacy since #MEA was set up?

andypants and Andy like this.
  19. JenB

Can you say a little more about "looks like infrastructure?"

andypants, Andy and Inara like this.
  20. JenB

I mean at the end of the day, it's buildings, gadgets, electricity and human beings. That's what you pay for when you contribute to research, when you contribute to an individual, or when you contribute to an organization. It's all infrastructure. The majority of that infrastructure cost is humans, whether they be post-docs or lobbyists.

I work about 30-60 hours a week (unless severely crashed) and have been doing this for years. It's an unbelievable amount of work and 90% of it is the iceberg below the water. My team is unbelievably generous and hardworking (and I work them very hard!). I know how much we do. The volunteers who are most engaged in the work see what we do everyday. But it's hard to see from the inside how visible that is or isn't. We are very much head down, doing the work every day. Perhaps we need to focus more on marketing! That can be hard when there is so much work to be done....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018