1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

JAMA on new CFS/ME website CDC

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MeSci, Sep 1, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)

Vol 320, #8, p 750

Date: August 28, 2018

URL: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2698504

Chronic Fatigue Care
    --------------------
    Bridget Kuehn, MSJ

A new CDC website aims to improve the diagnosis and care of patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome by providing clinicians with better information.

An Institute of Medicine (IOM) report estimates that between 836 000 and 2.5 million individuals in the United States have myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). These individuals may experience debilitating symptoms for years before receiving a diagnosis, in part because many clinicians are unfamiliar with the disorder. Currently, fewer than one-third of medical schools and fewer than half of medical textbooks provide information about ME/CFS, according to the IOM report.

'More education for doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers is urgently needed, so they are prepared to provide timely diagnosis and appropriate care for patients with ME/CFS,' according to the CDC press release announcing the new website.

The cause of the condition is unknown and there currently isn't a diagnostic test for it, according to the CDC. People with ME/CFS may experience extreme fatigue that prevents them from doing everyday activities, and their fatigue often gets worse after physical or mental exertion. They also may experience pain, sleep problems, and dizziness.

Physicians can diagnose the condition with an examination and patient history and by ruling out other conditions that may cause similar symptoms, according to the CDC. No treatments are specifically approved for ME/CFS; however, physicians can work with patients to help treat symptoms like pain or sleep problems. They may also recommend pacing activities to help reduce fatigue.

'Those of us that have had ME/CFS for a long time remember that the attitude among healthcare providers used to be belittling and ignorant,' wrote a patient, who is also a physician and contributed a patient perspective for the CDC's website. 'Thankfully, the attitude is shifting a bit but we still have much work to do.'

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I give up on this constant use of 'chronic fatigue' (possibly not down to the author)

huh?

eta: *may* experience extreme fatigue, if they didn't then wouldn't that mean it's not chronic fatigue(?)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    MEMarge, andypants, Daisymay and 4 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I can just hear all the doctors reading this yawning and muttering, I get fatigued after a day's work too. What a bunch of wimps...

Time to ban the word fatigue...

MEMarge, andypants, Barry and 5 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

adambeyoncelowe, Wonko and MeSci like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This article isn't too bad, could be a lot worse...