1. Guest, clicking here will take you to the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 2nd Dec.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is PEM a crash? Is a crash PEM? Semantically distinct? Or distinct phenomena?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by leokitten, Aug 2, 2018.

1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My question really is about the semantics of 'crash' and 'PEM'. I guess I used to use both these words somewhat interchangeably and wanted to ask PRers what they think.

In my experience with ME, PEM, or a worsening of symptoms, happens after mental or physical overexertion and only when I have too many periods overexertion over a short enough time without sufficient rest (or a continually long overexertion) then the PEM continues to build until I have a crash. Rarely too I've had crashes that seem to have come out of nowhere and didn't appear to be preceded by PEM.

So these words are distinct but related phenomena to me. What do you think? :nerd:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    mango likes this.
  2. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't crash anymore but it has happened on several occasions about 10 years ago during a period of about 5 years when I was in bed a lot but not bedridden.

PEM is what I went through for about 25 years and then during that 5 years I could crash but not all the time. Things had to be bad for me to crash which would involve crawling on the floor and sometimes nausea but not often. But I would have really, really bad cognition issues.

I hope that made sense.

Alis and leokitten like this.
  3. Tia

Tia Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, that's exactly how I see it.

leokitten likes this.