1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Insomnia.

Discussion in 'Sleep Disturbance' started by Squeezy, Dec 25, 2017.

1. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also think anyone with chronic insomnia should be checked for apnea. I'm thin and don't snore, so apnea didn't occur to me, but it showed up when I got tested. I have apnea because I have a small airway and a long palate.

My ENT thinks problem sleepers should also have an ENT exam to see if nose and sinus problems could be playing a role in insomnia. Congestion really torpedoes my sleep.

I think it's so interesting how different people are affected by the various dosages and forms of melatonin. For me, 1/2 MG of a sustained release is the only kind that helps my sleep. Others benefit from larger amounts of instant-release melatonin.

Tart cherry juice has melatonin and helps some people sleep. It has a weird effect on me, though.

Drinking it at night makes me truly sleepy right after I take it, as opposed to my usual tiredness, but then I can't sleep. Although the type I took had no sweeteners or additional ingredients, it may be that the natural sugars from the cherries affected my sleep. I've eradicated almost all sweeteners from my diet except on rare occasions, and I think I can't handle it anymore.

2. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a nice idea @Squeezy, thank you for the thought. It's just me and the cat, so there's no one who could help like that. My carers couldn't do it because of health and safety.

You've reminded me that I was thinking I could maybe get a wifi camera set up outside, to create a window to the outdoors. There are admittedly a few practical problems in achieving this - I can't wield a drill myself right now :rolleyes: and can't manage tradespeople, so I'm not sure how to run power or get it fixed on the wall - but it could be really neat :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your GP is helpful:emoji_fingers_crossed: Treating poor sleep should be a no-brainer, but I had to negotiate quite persuasively with mine to get the medicine I thought would be most helpful, as opposed to the amitriptyline he wanted to prescribe simply because it's in the NICE guidelines.

Squeezy and Invisible Woman like this.
  3. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I finally got to sleep! I tried a sublingual melatonin. I mg did the trick. I still woke up to anoint my eyes and went back off to sleep without the appalling wide awake nonsense! :party:

I was still sleepy this morning, and dozed a bit, even after a cup of tea. But i got up at 11 and didn't have my usual hang-over plus jet lag :) I pottered about doing tidy-up things. It's now 1:30 pm and I'm ready for a nap.

Feels like ME normality for me.

Let's hope this is the cure!

Aint that the truth! I hadn't set much store by melatonin for me - I reckoned myself an expert as my daughter has a serious problem with hers. Her natural sleep time is 4am! She's tried every type. I was a fool to myself!

I've read about that cherry juice. Tablet form might be good?

What a beautiful idea! For now though, maybe you can travel through your phone or computer like I do - gorgeous photography capturing the beauty out there.

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indigophoton, Squeezy and Skycloud like this.
  5. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yay! :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Squeezy, Invisible Woman and Skycloud like this.