1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have thought doing a review of the evidence base for exercise in ME/CFS was up there with the easiest review ever. If Carlsberg did ----

Most/all of the studies are unblinded and use subjective outcome criteria, so there is no evidence to review.

This comes to mind "If nobody is trying to prove anything it actually becomes quite easy to---*" These folks are trying to turn non-evidence into evidence. I have a bit of sympathy for them in that ---- old joke about "evidence based policy development" versus "policy based evidence development". These folks are engaged in the latter and they are making this whole thing way too complicated ---- there is no evidence.

*https://www.s4me.info/threads/if-and-how-to-research-pacing-discussion-thread.22860/

2. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But if the IAG doesn't agree with the Cochrane reviewers, the final say goes to Karla Soares-Weiser. Editor in chief of Cochrane. She has already used Gordon Guyatt to ensure the current review still rates the quality of the evidence on one outcome as "moderate" for a non-zero effect. If the new reviewers also rate it as moderate, and the IAG disagree, who is to stop Karla overuling? But as you say, the new review should not include any trials as they are all un-blinded with subjective primary outcomes

[edited at 17:27 to expand the point]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  3. Caroline Struthers

Hi there
    Yesterday I wrote to Rachel Marshall who is managing the Exercise Review update. I copied in Cochrane’s Consumer Engagement Officer Richard Morley who is also listed as supporting the review, Nicholas Henschke, lead author, Hilda via the IAG address, Toby Lasserson (Cochrane Deputy Editor in Chief, leading the collaboration between cochrane and NICE) and Samantha Roberts (new NICE chief exec)

Sent: 19 March 2022 17:20
    To: Rachel Marshall
    Cc: cochrane.iag@gmail.com; tlasserson@cochrane.org; samantha.roberts@nice.org.uk;
    nhenschke@cochraneresponse.com; rmorley@cochrane.org
    Subject: Cochrane/NICE Collaboration and the update to the Exercise therapy for ME/CFS review
    Attachments: 2021-08-11 NICE_Cochrane Collaboration Agreement and Licence Unpublished Data
    SIGNED.pdf

Dear Rachel

(cc Toby Lasserson, Samantha Roberts, Hilda Bastian, Nicholas Henschke, Richard Morley)

I am writing in a personal capacity and not as a representative of my employer.

There has been no monthly progress report about the update of the Exercise review from Hilda since
    July last year, and I understand the very sad reasons for that. Without knowing at what stage the review
    is, I am writing to suggest something that you may already have decided to do.

In August last year Cochrane and NICE signed a collaboration agreement (attached) to facilitate the
    sharing of data and analyses with each other.

The Parties agree to work together from time to time to facilitate the sharing of literature searches,
    unpublished extracted data and analyses and assessments (“Unpublished Data”) to inform the
    development of NICE guidelines and Cochrane Reviews as per the terms of this Agreement (the
    “Purpose”).

As NICE have just published a new guideline for ME/CFS informed by a rigorous and comprehensive
    evidence review, it would make sense for NICE to share the relevant data and analyses from their review
    with Cochrane rather than Cochrane starting the whole process again.

Please could you let me know what stage the review is at, and whether you are already planning to ask
    NICE to share the data and analyses from their evidence review. If you have not considered this idea,
    please could you let me know your response to it?

With best wishes

Caroline

Caroline Struthers
    Senior EQUATOR Research Fellow
    UK EQUATOR Centre, University of Oxford, United Kingdom

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent letter, thanks Caroline. I hadn't realise quite how long it was since we had an update. Surely it's not unreasonable for someone else to be asked to provide updates if the person initially designated with that role is unable to fulfil it for very understandable reasons.

5. Caroline Struthers

I realise that NICE's data and analyses are published (in full, maybe not??), but to refuse to use them for that reason would be the epitome of research waste.

6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think it was Rachel and Richard who presented at the last CMRC conference about the new review (as it was then). That was 2 years ago. I think they got very strong pushback particularly for keeping the flawed review up.

7. Caroline Struthers

Yes. They did. But it made no difference even when the NICE evidence review highlighted its flaws. I honestly don't understand why they won't follow their own rules about withdrawing a review when following the findings could cause harm to patients. What sort of patient engagement is Richard Morley doing if he won't try and persuade Cochrane that the current review should be withdrawn for that reason alone? Perhaps i should write to him.

8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They will go in fear of your pen!

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

If only they actually would, they might take the necessary action.

10. Caroline Struthers

Right on cue, the statutory two weeks after I wrote, Cochrane have replied! It's not very exciting...

Sent: 04 April 2022 07:14
    To: Caroline Struthers
    Cc: cochrane.iag@gmail.com; Toby Lasserson; samantha.roberts@nice.org.uk; Richard Morley;
    Nicholas Henschke
    Subject: Cochrane/NICE Collaboration and the update to the Exercise therapy for ME/CFS review

Dear Caroline,

Thank you for your email. Regarding your question about whether Cochrane plans to ask NICE to share
    the data and analyses from their evidence review, this issue is currently under consideration, but we
    have no further information to share at this time. With best regards,

Katie Abbotts
    Communications
    Development Directorate
    Central Executive Team
    Cochrane

Lou B Lou, Ariel, FMMM1 and 20 others like this.
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is like talking to a rock.

Kirsten, Lucibee, Lou B Lou and 14 others like this.
  12. Caroline Struthers

But a bit less fun

Kirsten, Lou B Lou, FMMM1 and 18 others like this.
  13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Clearly they are as effective at communication as they are at doing reviews :whistle:

Kirsten, Lou B Lou, FMMM1 and 14 others like this.
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't help wondering if both have the same root cause - obfuscation.

Lou B Lou, FMMM1, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

You may care to say that, I couldn’t possibly comment.

(Cultural reference Frances Urqhart original uk series of House of Cards)

Lou B Lou, FMMM1, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or I may not care at all ... :rolleyes:;)

Lou B Lou, FMMM1, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  17. FMMM1

Nice one Caroline - I can feel the salt being rubbed when I read this:
    "As NICE have just published a new guideline for ME/CFS informed by a rigorous and comprehensive
    evidence review----".

Wonder how they are going to address that-
    1) rubbish NICE's evaluation of the evidence - not attractive since they now have the NICE/Cochrane "collaborative agreement";
    2) agree (through gritted teeth) to accept NICEs evaluation --- problematic. They'd have to face down the (Cochrane) internal dissenters;
    3) run their own (Cochrane) re-evaluation and Voilá --- they come up with the same answer as NICE --- as per 2, it's internally problematic;
    4) none of the above - cos the above require a decision and create conflict!

Folks on this site have said something like ---- just do the right thing ---- I'm not expecting Cochrane to do that any time soon.

bobbler, Ariel, Mithriel and 8 others like this.
  18. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think you have forgotten an option
    5) keep claiming they are doing a new review whilst keeping the old one up. Publish an update in 2081 saying it is almost complete.

bobbler, Ariel, Barry and 16 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Weren't we supposed to get an update about... having future updates? Some time? In this timeline? Before the damn Sun reaches Venus' orbit during its expansion phase? About the process that started 5. YEARS. AGO!

What a joke organization Cochrane is. Have they even produced anything about Long Covid? Is Cochrane aware that Long Covid exists at all? The gold standard in clinical evidence that can't tell its own ass from a hole in the ground? Because right now if a physician wonders what to do about Long Covid and looks at what Cochrane says, well, that's probably a very bad idea, frankly.

Solstice, Mithriel, Binkie4 and 9 others like this.
  20. FMMM1

Yip ---- let it die --- do nothing ---- and to be fair, while irksome to us (which they'll enjoy), it's a strategy that works!

I'd just contrast this to Chris Ponting's approach. His friend Simon was ill and he was keen to do something to help. When the cost of GWAS studies dropped sufficiently he was able to get DecodeME up and running --- we also need to bear in mind MRCs role i.e. in convening the expert group (including Jonathan) which recommended funding a GWAS study and subsequently funding it.

If Cochrane were similarly motivated then they'd flag up that PACE etc. are flawed since they are unblinded and rely on subjective outcome criteria. Also, (Cochrane) run a lobbying campaign to require that publicly funded studies use objective outcome criteria (actimetry). Of course that would assume the motivation is promoting sound science ---- whatever the motives behind Cochrane are, they don't appear to be that simple.

I assume I'm being a bit biased about Cochrane i.e. there was an opportunity for it to "do the right thing" and some of those involved are/were motivated to do that. Seems that the motivation to do the right thing wasn't strong enough/widely enough held.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    bobbler, Sean, Amw66 and 5 others like this.