1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not surprising, that's the Alan Carson who is an author on many of the FND papers, along with Jon Stone and the rest, that are relentlessly churned out to try and establish FND as a 'thing'.

Ariel, MEMarge, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  2. Penelope McMillan

Penelope McMillan Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have been severe in the past.
    The reason there are three of us as a team from ME/CFS Australia is that I am still mostly bedbound and have limited capacity.
    I do my advocacy work as part of a team with Penelope Del Fante, who has been very severely ill in the past, and is currently mostly bedbound.
    With two of us together, we can manage to do work that neither of us alone could even consider.
    Geoffrey Hallmann is a listed team member, who will attend meetings if I am unable.

It is certainly our intention to bring the lived experience of severe ME to the IAG.

Additionally, I am heavily networked with people who have a wide range of illness severity. I seek their input and try to be transparent about when I am speaking for myself and from my experience, as opposed to when I am representing our community.

ukxmrv, Ariel, Joh and 19 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The IAG report for July is published:
    More at link:
    https://community.cochrane.org/orga...igh-profile-reviews-pilot/cochrane-exercise-1

rainy, Invisible Woman, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  4. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

They will find a recovered pwME to join the IAG? And they've also included the recent CDC evidence review in their analysis? Not sure how I feel about that.

5. Trish

I note this:

Why? Is the obvious question.
    The IAG needs poeple on it who understand things like trial review protocols, clinical trials, statistics, science, validity of outcome measures etc. Recovery from ME would be somewhere near the bottom of my list for representation. It's not about opinions about what supposedly led to an individual to recover, it's about science.

This whole process seems to me to be so tied up in 'balanced representation' of every permutation of patient experience except the one essential - a thorough understanding of clinical trials, and ensuring that valid scientific conclusions are reached in the review.

bobbler, sea, rainy and 29 others like this.
  6. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's exactly what I thought! Why? Without a clear diagnostic biomarker (yet) how can you be sure a recovered person had ME in the first place? It depends when they were diagnosed, by whom, and using what diagnostic criteria. As you say @Trish this review is about sorting the wheat from the chaff in terms of scientific methods.

bobbler, sea, ukxmrv and 27 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I honestly can't see any point to this. The best data we have is 5% recovery. It's not very reliable data but that's the best we have because people with neither stake nor interest in the matter keep refusing to do any better. So any such person could at best be representative of 5%, the exception. And in a fluctuating disease that is not only most commonly relapsing-remitting but also commonly misdiagnosed, this really can't tell any any more than asking what lottery winners did to win.

It's possible to find such a person. But to represent the 5% exception, seems either pointless or perilous. One clear thing that Long Covid has especially emphasized is how varied the illness presentation is, not only between people but in time. So much that it requires massive cohorts simply to glimpse the most common patterns. I can't see how 1 person's account can serve any purpose. It also depends on where we place the cutoff because the overall symptomology is too similar whether someone is ill for a lifetime or 6 months.

As usual, there is an XKCD for that:

[​IMG]

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've got three words to add to this - 'Long' Paul Garner...

bobbler, Campanula, FMMM1 and 26 others like this.
  9. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We could propose to also appoint misdiagnosed persons who are aware of their misdiagnosis.

I agree this move seems to be bad news (and ridiculous), but trying to think of the spectrum of recovered persons I'm aware of, how about Leonard Jason? (Not sure if he sees himself as fully recovered, though.)

Edited to add: Or Stuart Murdoch? https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Murdoch

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  10. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The 5% figure came from a review (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15699087/) that mostly relied on people that had been sick for around 5 years or longer, and on studies that had relatively short follow ups (most with 2 years or less). For people sick for less than 5 or 2 years the chance of recover seems to be substantially better, and it also seems to be better for people that get sick when young

11. Trish

The last I heard, Stuart Murdoch had relapsed. But either way, I don't think he has ever made any claims to understand scientific research methods.

12. Trish

Most of the people I have come across who make public claims of recovery from ME/CFS do so in order to sell their 'recovery story' which usually includes claims of cures by unusual means. The last thing a group examining scientific methodology to ensure the review is carried out in a valid way needs is someone convinced on the basis of their n=1 experience that they know 'the cure'.

bobbler, Campanula, ukxmrv and 22 others like this.
  13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hate to say it but this seems like a sneaky way to get the Lightning Process into the mix.

bobbler, Campanula, rainy and 8 others like this.
  14. Trish

Surely not. I may not have agreed with some of the appointments, but I would trust Hilda and the rest of the IAG not to make such a ridiculous misjudgement.

Michelle, alktipping, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure that it is much more ridiculous than deciding that 'recovery from ME/CFS' is an appropriate qualification for assessing the scientific quality of the evidence for GET.

The cast of diversity seems to grow ever larger in this public relations exercise. Why shouldn't Lightning Process supporters deserve a spot on the IAG to bring their unique perspective too?

bobbler, StefanE, sea and 18 others like this.
  16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be interesting to know where the initiative for this move came from. Was it Hilda, or is it something imposed upon her? Sometimes those who say they agree with a decision have little choice.

17. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the latest progress report, @Hilda Bastian. Like others, I’m puzzled why you and Karla Soares-Weiser decided to add “a person who has recovered from ME/CFS” to the IAG. Please can you explain your reasoning behind this decision?

To be clear, I would have no objection to someone with relevant expertise being included who happened to have recovered after being diagnosed with ME/CFS, but I can’t understand why you feel it is relevant to appoint someone because that have recovered from ME/CFS, for the reasons others have given above.

sea, ukxmrv, MSEsperanza and 22 others like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is also a problem with the definition of recovery.
    Presumably they won't be using the PACE version, so if that's not acceptable.......

eta: if they consider the PACE authors definition of recovery to be OK then half the ME/CFS community would be eligible for this appointment.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that this recovery business makes a mockery of the whole exercise. Would one have someone who had recovered with homeopathy on a homeopathy review? Or someone who had recovered without homeopathy?

bobbler, Louie41, Campanula and 25 others like this.
  20. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, we might not...

Louie41, rvallee and Invisible Woman like this.