1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologies for just popping in.

A very important move. Thanks again for your persistency, Caroline

As Cochrane still don't seem to see the need to withdraw the reviews, the only possible interpretation I can think of is that they 1) don't follow the evidence review of NICE and 2) don't acknowledge that these reviews can cause harm to patients.

I don't know the details about COPE -- but at least the process seems to involve that Cochrane need to spell out the mentioned 2 points if they won't revise their conclusion that the reviews need not to be withdrawn.

(?)

Joh, inox, alktipping and 16 others like this.
  2. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am hoping COPE will ask them to spell out why they don't think the reviews can cause harm, and why their complaints procedure doesn't include independent review. The other point I made was to question the sudden change to the withdrawal policy which means that now out of date reviews can remain on the library forever without being updated.

inox, ukxmrv, alktipping and 27 others like this.
  3. Caroline Struthers

Next stop, Charity Commission. I have complained to them before about the Exercise review and they chose not to investigate. They may be more interested now I can demonstrate Cochrane, as a charity whose beneficiaries are patients and the public, seems not to be taking the possible harm to patients seriously.

inox, JaneL, geminiqry and 32 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for pursuing this so vigorously!

Would publication of the finalised NICE guidelines add weight to that complaint? Persuading a regulator to act would be an important moment with potentially far-reaching consequences, so if it would add to the argument, is it worth waiting a few months? It depends on the exact argument you'd be using, though, and I realise the guidelines may not be relevant to it.

Joh, alktipping, Missense and 10 others like this.
  5. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was impressed by the last speaker at the conference, Professor Ken Stein.who is Director of the NIHR Systematic Reviews. he therefore controls much of Cochrane purse strings.

He made it clear that Cochrane were no longer the only "organisation in town" that reviewed evidence to produce recommendations.
    It sounded though he was looking at a slimmed down and more responsive Cochrane.

He could be very interested in this harmful saga @Caroline Struthers. I do have a transcript of some of his talk, if that would be useful.

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I imagine any complaint to the charity commission would have to start with Cochrane's governing document, and its statement:

upload_2021-5-2_12-11-28.png

https://register-of-charities.chari.../-/charity-details/1045921/governing-document. They are still registered under their old name "The Cochrane Collaboration", but their reporting is up to date so I assume that is all OK.

Interestingly their statement of where they operate includes most places in the world except the UK, but I don't know if it is deemed implicit anyway for UK registered charities.

ukxmrv, Woolie, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  7. Caroline Struthers

Yes please. He was on my list of people to contact about this saga, and more generally about Cochrane. I wish I had tuned into his talk.

8. Caroline Struthers

Yes, I will definitely wait. I am anticipating COPE not doing anything very much, so thinking about the next step regulator-wise

Joh, ukxmrv, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  9. MEMarge

Have attached file to our converstion @Caroline Struthers

10. Caroline Struthers

Well, "not very much", or rather "nothing" is exactly what COPE are doing. It's out of scope, apparently. Editorz rule OK! I have attached their ruling on my complaint, and my response to it. I have also attached the report which contains Cochrane's answers to their queries. Onwards and upwards.

Attached Files:

Graham, Joh, geminiqry and 20 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty much like the HRA response re the PACE trial.
    What is the point of regulators if they only check that 'the paperwork is in order';
    who's regulating the regulators?

Graham, Joh, Michelle and 16 others like this.
  12. MEMarge

Hmmm....

alktipping and Trish like this.
  13. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

watchdogs without teeth are a waste of resources .

ukxmrv, Mithriel, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  14. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope I’m wrong but my prediction is that the long awaited progress report won’t be published before NICE releases the embargoed Guideline to registered stakeholders, let alone before the end of the month.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Andy and 2 others like this.
  15. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hilda assured us that the two were not linked in any way - so I hope you're wrong too!

ukxmrv, Mithriel, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe they should be renamed watchhamsters.

No offense to hamsters but I doubt they'd do a good job guarding anything.

ukxmrv, EzzieD, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  17. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know about that. Hamsters can be quite feisty bitey things in the wild.

ukxmrv, alktipping, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  18. Caroline Struthers

And also in captivity.
    We need Ted Hastings on this. If you are not #obsessedwithlineofuty you will not have a clue what I'm on about.

19. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

no clue on the name or title.

ukxmrv and Caroline Struthers like this.
  20. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    ukxmrv, alktipping, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.