1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps I wasn't clear, she did not start her career as a scientist or doctor, she started providing input from a consumer perspective and did her PhD later. This is what I mean by background - the PhD came later.

2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228387074451132416

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228381907215421445

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228382664882872323

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228289137578475520

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228330328722464768

Of course people don't necessarily need to have publications to be on the committee. I decided I wouldn't try to make the list too long.

A number of other people who don't have personal connections with the illness could also be good but when one widens about that much, it means pretty much anyone in the world could be proposed, e.g. many of those who promote exercise therapy.

Hutan, Forestvon, Barry and 24 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But if I understand correctly, this will just be an advisory group, so not the people who will actually be writing the new review?

4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps they can influence the review protocol since it is the way the review was based on meaningless numbers that was one of the real objectives. Made worse by the way the review was carried out.

5. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if Hilda has been invited for a beer yet. Or perhaps lunch.

JoanneS, Cheshire, Gecko and 14 others like this.
  6. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, we’re still waiting to hear who will write the actual review. This is a good start though.

7. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just read Hilda’s second blog which I missed when it was published.

A couple of points of interest which may have been noted elsewhere:

1. I see that David Colquhoun (prominent pseudoscience buster) has posted a comment below the blog:

2. I was not previously aware of this part of Hilda’s disclosure which appears at the bottom of the blog:
    I have just submitted the following responses to David Colquhoun’s comment which I assume will appear after being vetted:

“As an ME patient, I would say:

1. ME/CFS is probably heterogeneous, but that doesn’t mean that the diagnosis is arbitrary. It means that it is probably heterogeneous. There are different diagnostic criteria, some of which are more useful than others, and within those criteria there are likely to be different sub-groups and probably different illnesses. However, that doesn’t mean that the diagnosis isn’t useful. The recognition that there are significant numbers of people who are disabled by illness who meet specific diagnostic criteria (particularly post-exertional malaise, or PEM) is important and necessary for advocacy and research. Equally, I strongly agree with the NIH panel which concluded that “the continued use of the Oxford (Sharpe, 1991) case definition may impair progress and cause harm” (as quoted by Hilda above).

2. A bit like CFS, “cause” seems to be a heterogeneous term used to mean different things. There appear to be a number of triggers for ME/CFS, such as EBV, but knowing the triggers is less important than understanding the mechanism, identifying biomarkers, and developing effective treatments. There has been some limited progress made in identifying potential biomarkers (see, for example, this blog on evidence of “something in the blood”: https://mecfsresearchreview.me/2019...avis-more-evidence-of-something-in-the-blood/) and hypothesising about possible mechanisms but there is still a very long way to go.

Unfortunately, the PACE trial and Cochrane reviews, along with the “collective ad hominem attack” on the ME community by a small group of influential researchers (referred to in Hilda’s previous blog: https://blogs.plos.org/absolutely-m...-the-me-cfs-exercise-dispute-matters-so-much/) appear to have had a significant effect on inhibiting progress by perpetuating the myth that ME/CFS can be reversed by CBT/GET.

3. Agreed. Moreover, the FINE and PACE trials provide good evidence that CBT/GET are ineffective treatments for ME/CFS, even when using very broad and diagnostic criteria.

Thanks for taking an interest in this, David. And many thanks to Hilda for your blogs and for your ongoing efforts to try to help to resolve the issues which have been so harmful to patients.”

Binkie4, alktipping, Barry and 31 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting because David has previously said ME/CFS is too complicated to comment on and not engaged.

9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My take on this. It is probably heterogeneous but I suspect not as much as some people think. The reason for the perception of CFS being very heterogeneous are the older Fukuda criteria and the Oxford criteria.

The biphasic onset peaks in that one scandinavian study don't look like a diagnostic label with very high heterogeneity to me but something more specific, although it could easily be a few illnesses.

There are also some reasons to think that PEM is not a general feature of major chronic illness but something more specific.

I think one can also see some patterns in how patients describe their illness onset and course.

Point 2, yes, nobody knows what causes it and it's important to repeat this because there's so much bad information out there.

Point 3 yes. It's not even clear that there any mildly effective treatments but there probably are, we just don't know due to lack of studies.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  10. Jonathan Edwards

I thought Colquhoun was being a bit sneaky with 'no very effective treatments'. Being the sceptic he is why didn't he say we do not know if any treatments are effective.

I am also not sure about the arbitrary bit. High blood pressure is very heterogeneous but the definition is not arbitrary - it is a high blood pressure.

11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do remember one tweet from Sharpe, after her publication of the consumer-contested evidence article, telling Bastian he wanted to educate her on some assumptions about ME (or I think it was assumptions about us, I have no idea why he used that word but I remember it because of how weird it was, the man is such a weirdo). We don't know if the invitation was accepted but it definitely was offered.

Barry, Kitty, Cheshire and 8 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Toes curling at thought

Barry, Kitty, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  13. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Luckily for us, Bastian is far more intelligent than Sharpe...

14. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1229050809704255490

Binkie4, alktipping, Barry and 33 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Bastian's appointment is some of the best news we have had in a while.

Though exactly how much influence an 'advisory' group will have remains to be seen. It could just be sop, and they will steamroll us anyway.

alktipping, Woolie, Hutan and 18 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I imagine the old-boy network must be feeling the need to retch out.

17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice word choice

18. Jonathan Edwards

I thought it was a Cochrane word choice?

19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where was that?

20. Jonathan Edwards

Sorry, we are being frivolous.